Dinner Attire

TheRobber

LOL! And thank god I don't have to clean house and cook dinner in my dress and pearls like the Beavs mom :rolleyes:

...but if we all came over for a special occasion, would you dress like the Beav's mom just for us? I will bring the beer, I know True would do it for me!!!:D I will be wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt...

...but if we all came over for a special occasion, would you dress like the Beav's mom just for us? I will bring the beer, I know True would do it for me!!!:D I will be wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt...

I had a side bet going. Which perv would answer first.....Dood, Liv, or

Jess:D I lost.....For sure I thought it would be Liv;)

LOL! Where's True when I need her:cool:

At my Grandmother's funeral last fall, there were a heck of a lot of jeans and t-shirts, she didn't mind at all, but it looked more like a Saturday barbecue to me... I didn't mind either, again, I was in a suit.

It really doesn't bother me either. I was looking at a new brides wedding photos the other day and in the formal shots (on the stairway in the ship atrium) one guest had jeans on and the bride kept saying I wish he weren't in the picture dressed that way...but I didn't want to tell him he couldn't be in the picture. :(

At my Grandmother's funeral last fall, there were a heck of a lot of jeans and t-shirts, she didn't mind at all, but it looked more like a Saturday barbecue to me... I didn't mind either, again, I was in a suit.

What is the world coming to? T-shirts and jeans are completely inappropriate for a barbeque. A polo or button-down shirt with khakis would do quite nicely.

It really doesn't bother me either. I was looking at a new brides wedding photos the other day and in the formal shots (on the stairway in the ship atrium) one guest had jeans on and the bride kept saying I wish he weren't in the picture dressed that way...but I didn't want to tell him he couldn't be in the picture. :(

My son was married on a cruise ship (not Carnival) All the groomsmen wore hawaiian shirts, khaki pants and leather flip flops. My son wore the same except he had a all white hawaiian shirt. And guess what they wore the same clothes for dinner. Can you believe that....flip flops and all:eek: :rolleyes:

Daughter in law was in traditional white gown and yes white sparkle flip flops.......

What is the world coming to? T-shirts and jeans are completely inappropriate for a barbeque. A polo or button-down shirt with khakis would do quite nicely.

Unfortuneately the "barbecure dress police" are not as ubiquitous as the "cruise dress police";)

...and they don't often print "Capers" for barbecues in my area :eek:

...sitting poolside in Orlando, on a lounger, with Mickey Mouse feeding her peeled grapes, and keeping the ice on her bucket of beer fresh...

Ah so that's her husbands pet name:D

She's suppose to meet up with Jess for some beers.....Let's see if he follows thru:cool:

Unfortuneately the "barbecure dress police" are not as ubiquitous as the "cruise dress police";)

...and they don't often print "Capers" for barbecues in my area :eek:

There was a time when no respectable person would ever host a barbeque without providing their guests with a very clearly-stated dress code in advance. Now people just show up willy-nilly in their jeans, capri pants, Crocs, etc. I personally find it more than a little distressing, and not unrelated to a general decline in social standards. :mad:

There was a time when no respectable person would ever host a barbeque without providing their guests with a very clearly-stated dress code in advance. Now people just show up willy-nilly in their jeans, capri pants, Crocs, etc. I personally find it more than a little distressing, and not unrelated to a general decline in social standards. :mad:

Well it is a total lack of respect, those people just were not raised properly, they must just be stupid or brain damaged showing up like that, last week two guys showed up in ball caps... we ran them off by pelting them with small cucumber pieces fired from a wrist rocket...

Ah so that's her husbands pet name:D

She's suppose to meet up with Jess for some beers.....Let's see if he follows thru:cool:

That is so not cool... I am going to NY in October and she won't even meet me for a beer... too far to drive into town, how does Jess rate?

That is so not cool... I am going to NY in October and she won't even meet me for a beer... too far to drive into town, how does Jess rate?

Did ya offer to pay:confused: Jess is paying .......or so he says he is. She's not stupid......as much as ya all drink she would have to get a real job in order to pay the bill:D

Yeah, yeah -- will the literacy-challenged, lazy, and those just desperate to score points in this ever-so-self-righteously indignant conversation please note that I've already acknowledged -- just a few posts above -- that it must vary by CD.

:D

Sorry, I missed that post:D

Did ya offer to pay:confused: Jess is paying .......or so he says he is. She's not stupid......as much as ya all drink she would have to get a real job in order to pay the bill:D

I didn't say she had to :o , I have no problem buying for her... maybe if I clarify, she will change her tune.

...you're just fooling yourself, as long as Mickey Mouse is around to peel and feed her grapes, she will not know any REAL JOB!!!:eek:

I certainly believe you, the ships are not consistent, but the Capers would certainly be the final word on dress code. Here are mine from the Liberty, it says neither on any of the pages, just "Dress Code is Formal". Harry's does have a specific requirement "Formal Jackets Required", the night I was in there, there were a lot of polos and slacks, not wrong or right, just my experience, I was in a suit - click the thumbnail for a full size:

I agree -- they are not consistent. On the Legend in December, the Capers said "Suggested Attire is Formal", on the Triumph last month it says "Dress Code Formal". When we made our reservations for the Golden Fleece, there was a sign saying dress code was "elegantly casual", and the hostess who booked us said "no jeans". That was it!

If not, would it be safe to say the Maitre'd was not doing their job?

That would solely depend on your perspective. The Maitre'd is trying to please as many people as possible. Allowing the dress code to be "strectched" he is pleasing some, but not pleasing others. I am not sure if they get any marching orders from corporate, well, probably not given the annectdotal information we hear.

That would solely depend on your perspective. The Maitre'd is trying to please as many people as possible. Allowing the dress code to be "strectched" he is pleasing some, but not pleasing others. I am not sure if they get any marching orders from corporate, well, probably not given the annectdotal information we hear.

I hear what your saying. So saying the dress code is formal without enforcing it is like saying there is no dress code.

I hear what your saying. So saying the dress code is formal without enforcing it is like saying there is no dress code.

I'd say it's more like stating what they expect, but not being willing to argue with people about it. Most people will go with the guidelines they're aware of (I'm sure a lot of people simply don't read their docs). I think it's a small minority who willfully defy expectations.

In my email to Carnival after my last cruise, I mentioned the vagueness and contradictions of the policy and the inconsistency of enforcement; in their response, they told me that my comments would be forwarded to the appropriate department. I'm planning to follow up with them about it, just out of curiosity.

Has anyone received a specific response to their comments about the issue?

I'd say it's more like stating what they expect, but not being willing to argue with people about it. Most people will go with the guidelines they're aware of (I'm sure a lot of people simply don't read their docs). I think it's a small minority who willfully defy expectations.

...very well said LJ! Sometimes the Maitre'd will even modify the guidelines, last September on the Imagination, the Maitre'd announced on the first night, that for men, as long as we did wear long pants, we would be welcomed, even on formal night.

I think there is a growing concern on Carnival with empty tables on formal night - that cruise was the most I had ever seen empty, and maybe it was just my placement in the room, but the formal night reminded me of the old days on tip night...

Protocol Question: Does anyone actually leave the dinner jacket on while they are eating? Is it proper to wear it, or is it customary and neater to drape it on the back of the chair to stay clean and neat while sitting and actually eating?

Protocol Question: Does anyone actually leave the dinner jacket on while they are eating? Is it proper to wear it, or is it customary and neater to drape it on the back of the chair to stay clean and neat while sitting and actually eating?

Strictly speaking, it's proper to keep your dinner jacket on, but only a person with real issues would quibble with you about removing it on a cruise ship. At the White House dinner, it's a different story.

Personally, I CHOOSE to keep mine on, though I do unbutton it.

?

That sums it up well.

As time goes on,I think we will see a freestyle or at least one dining room formal and one not formal with an open seating policy on those nights.There is tooooo much profit in Photo's to do away with it.

Archived