Will this phone work in the Bahamas?

amseco

It really will depend on the service provider. The Bahams has GSM 1900 which this phone supports however whether or not the phone worked will depend on who your service provider is.

That's always a good question.

Outside of the USA and Canada most of the world runs on GSM phones, rather than CDMA. Only two US providers use GSM:

Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile. GSM has a removable chip called a SIM that moves your number AND your phone list from phone to phone without any reprogramming or aid from tech support.

But there are several catches with GSM phones if you want to use them abroad.

1) The frequency bands. Nowadays, it must be a quad-band phone to work abroad. In the past, a tri-band worked but not anymore (older tri-bands still work). That was because they all supported the 900 band, and now, instead support the 850 band (or is it the other way around?) In either case, the quad band phones support both.

2) You must have the carrier set you up for international calls if you want to use them. I don't know Cingular's policy, but T-Mobile works by calling them and then they set it up for you.

They swear on their saintly mother's life that it's all good to go. Then you get abroad and find out it doesn't work (!), get hold of T-Mo (somehow), they apologize profusely and fix it.

They do this for EVERY line you have...every time! Last time I had a T-mo that WAS set up for international and got them to set everybody else's line up. This is generally expensive, but if you are cruising and in a different country every day, then it's better than a different SIM chip.

3) Multiple SIM chips. If you are going to be spending time in a single country, it's far cheaper to buy a local SIM chip and use that for all your local calls. If several people in your party have phones, it's far cheaper to stay in touch or whatever.

BUT to use SIM chips by anyone but your provider, you have to "Unlock" the phone. Each company is different, but T-Mo makes you wait 90 days before giving you an unlock code. You enter it, and VOILA! your phone is universal. With T-Mo, I only waited the 90 days when we joined. After that, I insist they give me unlock codes since I'm adding to an account I've had for more than 2 years!

If you are already with T-Mo or Cingular, you can buy an unlocked phone in the general market and insert your SIM chip. This is a good plan if the company has the service you want but not the phone. Buy a cheap phone (even a free one) with the services you want on the account, then stick it in your unlocked preferred phone.

You can even juggle SIM chips between the company's own phones so the number you want is with the phone you want. My wife HATED her Motorola V-600 because it's hard to use, heavy, and the battery would not last. So she never used it. I gave her a Samsung t809 slide phone, put the SIM in it with her number, put the T809's in ANOTHER unlocked phone and we are happy. T-Mo is happy--the accounts are paid. My wife LOVES the t809 and now uses it all the time.

Hope this helps.

Nopirates is correct..

Only GSM phones with 1900 mhz frequency will work, and only with service providers that have contracts with Batelco. (T-mobile and Cingular/at&T).

You must contact your service provider and get international service.

If you want cheaper rates you must pay an add'l $5.99 per month, but the basic service is usually just a few cents difference. So if you're not planning on making a ton of call.. just get the regular international service, not the paid one.

Rates for the Discounted (paid) service are $1.99 per minute, while the unpaid international rate is $2.29 per minute.

Be aware that even incoming calls, or calls that get sent to your voicemail will get charged.

Some Older phones with TDMA still work if they have the 1900mhz frequenzy. But it's hit or miss.

This information applies only to Nassau and Grand Bahamas Islands, the out islands and Private island do not have GSM, and have very spotty service. Some have no cell service at all.

Be aware that the Bahamas Cell service is often not working properly.. so have a back up plan.

Archived