World Cruisers - a rather silly, irrelevant question about lifeboat drills

WestchesterCruiseFan

This question was born out of pure curiosity...regardling lifeboat drills.

As you know, when you take a Cunard world cruise, it is broken into segments or legs. I'd like to know if there is a lifeboat drill each time a new segment begins and, if so, if you are taking the full world cruise, are you required to report each and every time there is a drill?

I'm assuming the answer is yes - to me it's just logical but, my traveling companion believes that once we attend the first one, we won't have to attend the others.

I am correct or is my traveling companion correct?

We have a spa treatment wagered on the correct answer :)

As you know, when you take a Cunard world cruise, it is broken into segments or legs. I'd like to know if there is a lifeboat drill each time a new segment begins and, if so, if you are taking the full world cruise, are you required to report each and every time there is a drill?

I'm assuming the answer is yes - to me it's just logical but, my traveling companion believes that once we attend the first one, we won't have to attend the others.

I believe your traveling companion is correct. At least in my recent experience, QE2 Southampton - New York - Ft. Lauderdale, only those boarding in NY had to attend the drill after the NY port call. Also, if I recall correctly, only those of us embarking in Southampton had to attend.

Similarly, on the Singapore - Capetown segment a few years ago QE2 embarked a number of passengers at intermediate ports. I know that I only attended one drill, in Singapore.

I believe your traveling companion is correct...

I agree with NHBob. That was our experience last year on back-to-back transatlantics.

From the Daily Programme of 5/23/2006:

Emergency Boat Drill 1:20 pm

International Maritime Law requires that all guests who embarked today attend this important drill. ...

From the Daily Programme of 5/29/2006:

5:00 pm ALL ABOARD

PASSENGER EMERGENCY DRILL for all guests who embarked today - Deck 7

I agree with NHBob and pb82, on the 2006 World Cruise, we attended only the lifeboat drill in New York, where we boarded. We were not required to attend any other drill - it was fun to watch those who did board at the various ports as they attended the drills!! WestchesterCruiseFan, looks like your traveling companion will be headed for the spa!!

Thank you PB82.

I am doing B2B transatlantic, and was also wondering about the drill, now I know, will enjoy doing something else at Southampton.

You're welcome. During our half day in Southampton we enjoyed the Cunard sponsored bus trip to Stonehenge and Salisbury.

Paul

Someone's getting that free spa treatment and it's not you! ;)

I did the entire 2007 QE2 world cruise and attended only the drill in New York. But a walk around the muster stations during the other drills was one of my favorite ways to check out the embarking crowd. :rolleyes:

Happy Sailing!

I am goign with the Virtuosos group and we are having lunch at Chewton Glen Hotel, which has a fabulous reputation.

I hope you enjoy Stonehenge and Salisbury , I used to live close by at RAF Upavon, You may also get a chance to see the stones of Avebury, very impressive. the ancient people would walk from the circle at Avebury to Stonenege as part of the ritual.

Archived