stingray swim

golferdog

• 3 weeks later...

I checked into this before our cruise in March, and the first thing I did was email Stingray City about the possibility of coming there. We have never done an excursion through the ship, and really wanted to do this on our own. Their reply was as follows -

Dear Ms _____--

If you are coming on a cruise ship probably your best option is to book our trip through the tour desk at the cruise ship since in their prices they include ground transportation to and from the cruise ship which we do not offer.

The times we offer our tour are 9:00 am - 11:00 am - 1:00 am - and 3:00 am every day, check in time is 15 minutes prior to the selected time, and this is very important you show on time, other wise you could miss your tour.

Hear is also a web page that could provide you with options that include our tour. http://www.adventureantigua.com

Best Regards

Jamelia Frederick

Office Assistance

They never really gave me a price, but the tour company they gave me the link for only offered longer tours which included Stingray City as part of them. The other thing is that if we did manage to book on our own, we would be responsible for transportation, and the location of the stingrays is fairly far from the port. NCL's excursion was only $69, including transportation, so we just got it. We figured by the time we paid to call them and talk them into letting us book, and pay for getting there, we would have spent that. It was excellent, by the way!

Since you were already there could you please help with my questions?

We have a 6 year old and she swims well and can stand in a 4' deep pool. Do you think she will be alright? Or is it much deeper then that? Did you take a boat to get there? We too are going to use the ship tour.

I also heard there is snorkeling off to the one side that is deeper? Is that correct? Do you feel it was worth the money? We have been to Cayman and that was great, but the kids were too small then. Now that they are 6 and 10 I think they wold enjoy this trip.

Thanks

Well, the water was pretty much waist-high on an adult, so you can decide about your daughter. I'd say it's about 4 feet deep. Maybe you could email them and ask. Their address is info@stingraycityantigua.com. They answered me very promptly when I corresponded with them.

Yes, you do take a skiff out to where the stingrays are, about a 10-minute ride. I don't know about the deeper snorkling.

We thought it was well worth the money, and something we will never forget! There is a thread not too far down the page about Stingray City where I posted a picture of my daughter there.

Archived