luggage tags

Bvillemom3

they show what cruise line, room number, forward/aft or mid ship (rooms),

what sailing at which port. they work well when you fly in and have a cruiseline transfer to the ship. the people who help with the transfer can find your luggage at the airport, usually have it pulled before you see it.

if not doing a cruise line transfer, i don't put them on until i get to the ship...don't want to chance losing them.

the porters and ship staff uses the info to deliver the luggage to your room.

you still put your own luggage tags on, those help the airlines know who to call when they lose it:D . just kidding.

i put a note in each piece of luggage, name, phone, address, (if cruising) ship/port and time of sail. just in case.

We don't sail for a month and a half. but, I am reading about luggage tags what are they and are they just the name tags that are on your luggage?

You will receive them with your cruise doc's. They have the cabin number and a place for your name and address on them. Most are color coded and you disembark by color. Doc's usually arrive a couple weeks before the trip.

Do yourself a favor - take a label and put on it the flight you will be on, the cruiseship and the cabin number. Put the label on your luggage near the handle. Even if your tags fall off (and sometimes they do), then there's no question about where your luggage is heading.

Think of cruiseline luggage tags in the same way as airline tags. Luggage tags from cruiselines are similar to the destination tags that airlines put on your luggage to route it to the correct planes. The cruiseline tags will route your luggage to the correct stateroom.

For both, you still need your regular luggage tags with your names and contact address and phone (I say contact because some people put on another family members address and phone or a work address to avoid someone knowing the address of an empty house.)

Do yourself a favor - take a label and put on it the flight you will be on, the cruiseship and the cabin number. Put the label on your luggage near the handle. Even if your tags fall off (and sometimes they do), then there's no question about where your luggage is heading.

Actually, this can confuse baggage handlers at airports and you might end up with no luggage this way.

Remove all old tags from your luggage and only put have the airline tags for your immediate destination. You can put your itinerary behind your luggage tag, with a note that it is there "itinerary inside" under the plastic, as well as a copy of your itinerary inside each piece of luggage.

Happy - I totally agree with your suggestions.

We just bought a set of larger (than the tags that came with our luggage) luggage tags that match our luggage straps and handle covers (both of which we personalized) and our TSA approved locks (all the same bright color). I planned on personalizing those and putting our destination and itinerary on those tags while keeping the tags that came with our luggage with our regular address, etc.

Wow, I gotta remember that tip about putting a copy of the itinerary in each bag. I'd never have thought of that.

Reminds me of a joke I saw Red Skelton tell once. He goes up to the airline desk with three suitcases and says "I want you to send this one to LA, this one to Dallas and this one to New York."

"Why, we can't do that." replied the baggage person.

"Why not, you did last time!" replied Red. :D

JHC

Archived