Glory or Valor, 12 year old boy

newlu

Hi,

We have only cruised with Royal so far (Mariner and now just off Freedom). My son will be 12 next summer. We would like to try Carnival and looking into the Glory or Valor. How will they compare to Royal's kids club? Are the areas big (arcade, actual kids club). I think the age group is 12-15 with Carnival, is that correct? Does that mean he can hangout in the lounge and go to the disco once in a while? He's much into sports, any advice would be great!

Thanks

newlu

PS we would like to do the Western route,

I have recently cruised both the Glory and Valor with my 2 sons, (10 & 11) but have never been on RCCL. There will probably be other posters that have done both lines that will give good advice. That being said, I would venture to guess that after sailing on the Freedom your son will be disappointed with either Carnival ship.

They are both the same class of ship and have the same layout. The kids your son's age don't spend much time in the actual Camp Carnival rooms. They meet in the disco or lounges and do activities from there. However, I know that most 12 year olds and above tend to "hang out" and not participate in many organized Camp Carnival activities. At night, they all get together at the disco (and in the hallway outside of the disco) for 12-15 y/o from 9-10pm I believe.

The arcade is good, maybe 20 games including air hockey and nintendo/360. But it's expensive...games start at .50 per play.

The only real sports available are basketball (1 court) and table tennis (2 tables). There is usually a pick-up game of basketball going on, but it's mostly older teens and young men. I think the younger kids kinda get pushed out. You will want to bring your own basketball too!

Honestly, if your son has experienced the rock climbing wall, ice skating, outdoor movies, mini golf and sports deck on RCCL, he'll probably be a little bored on Carnival.

I've been wanting to sail RCCL for 2 years now, but know that once my boys experience it, they'll fuss about ever going on a Carnival ship again. And unfortunately, my wallet can't afford to sail RCCL each year! So we stick to Carnival and what they don't know won't hurt my wallet!

Good luck!

Archived