Snorkeling question

travgurl

hi, i always have a pair of old socks in my bag. just the small ones u cant even see when u wear them in shoes. like gold type..when we snorkel in a strong current or if u r gonna be out along time, yes...blisters..i have had them on the top of my foot, this is where the top of the flippers sit, like right in the middle on top..u dont haveta wear ankle socks but it doesnt matter if u do..cindy

Yeah, it's a good idea.

Another idea: we always have an underwater camera per person when we snorkel. And our first picture is a pic of ourself taken underwater with our mask on. (You know, hold the camera as far out in front of you pointed at yourself, then click!) It's funny, and it lets you know who took that roll of film when you develop them later, cause they will all look the same.

Have fun. We love snorkeling.

Shay

The idea came from my son who is studying marine biology. He spent a week in the Florida Keys last summer on a catamaran and did alot of snorkeling. That is why we are doing it twice next week.

Just a tip - You may want to bring your own snorkel. Carnival now sells them onboard for, if I remember correctly, $5.

$5 is totally worth it, even to just throw it away when done. It kind of grosses me out knowing I am breathing through a snorkel that tons of other people have used, even though cleaned. I work in a hospital, I am sure those snorkels are not sterilized.

Should I buy them from Carnival?
I would consider buying a "dry" snorkel before you go. A dry snorkel will prevent you from accidentally sucking in water if the snorkel goes below the surface of the water. We found an on-line vendor a couple of years ago that had a sale on a mask and dry snorkel combo that has served us well. We don't bother packing fins, we just go w/o or use the ones provided if we're on an excursion that provides gear.

Go to the forum that mrdood mentioned, that is where I found the link to buy our mask/snorkel combos.

We've never tried the socks but the fins haven't caused us any problems yet.

John

Archived