Internet on ship - help

Tex Gal

Newbie question here... Hubby and I need to have internet access for just a few minutes while on the ship - we are expecting a delivery and need to check on it.

Can anyone give me information on internet rates and how it works? Do you pay by the minute? Do we need to bring our laptop or are there computers to use?

Thanks for your help! ~A

Newbie question here... Hubby and I need to have internet access for just a few minutes while on the ship - we are expecting a delivery and need to check on it.

Can anyone give me information on internet rates and how it works? Do you pay by the minute? Do we need to bring our laptop or are there computers to use?

Thanks for your help! ~A

Internet Café Price List :

To utilize the internet service, the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop. All internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard “Sail & Sign” Account:

An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute (“Pay-As-You-Go”) is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted “Time Plans” offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation; No refund for unused minutes; Upgrading selected pricing option is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises 7 days in length and longer:

100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises less than 7 days in length:

30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

To rent a Wireless Radio Card for a guest's personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day; Optional insurance is $3.00 per day.

A limited number of laptops are available for complimentary use with Time Plan purchase; optional insurance is $10.00 per day.

Step 1: Go to the Internet cafe...

Step 2: Find open Computer

Step 3: Insert arm into payment slot for 30 minutes

Step 4: Then insert leg for 30 more minutes

Step 5: Finally promise "First Born".....

Enjoy cruising!! Just kidding, I pick at CCL about their internet cost, only b/c I am willing to pay it. HAHAHAHA

Thanks for your help! ~A

Well I think you should not worry about stupid stuff like that and let yourself be on vaction. If it's so important have a family member check for you so you can enjoy your time away from home and not worry about what's going on back there.

Well I think you should not worry about stupid stuff like that and let yourself be on vaction. If it's so important have a family member check for you so you can enjoy your time away from home and not worry about what's going on back there.

:eek: I'm sorry, who are you to tell them that something they may or may not be worried about is stupid?? They asked about internet prices! My daughter and i just got off a cruise and we both spent some time on the internet. It is no one's business here WHAT they need to do on the computer or WHY!:eek: Well, after reading your response to another thread, i should not have even replied!

Thanks for your help! ~A

No need for the laptop, but I think you have to log on if you want to use the onboard PCs at all, so the time you use to compose is time you're paying for. If you bring the laptop, you can compose and/or reply at will and just log on only long enough to cut and paste into email and send.

And don't bother about posters trying to tell you that your priorities and plans are stupid. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your vacation!

Leo Jay - you have been sweet to me today! Thanks for being so kind!

I appreciate everyone's help. We just need to check email and tracking so we won't be on for too long. Hopefully I won't get sucked in - and I'll have to stay away from this site or I'd be on for hours! Thanks again ~A

I appreciate everyone's help. We just need to check email and tracking so we won't be on for too long. Hopefully I won't get sucked in - and I'll have to stay away from this site or I'd be on for hours! Thanks again ~A

Just be aware that the connection goes through the satellite system and is not allocated very much bandwidth, best case scenario maybe 2X dialup, if you have multiple users on at the same time, you share that speed - can you say PAINFULLY SLOW.

Good luck!

Caught me on a good day. Lucky you! :D

Just be aware that the connection goes through the satellite system and is not allocated very much bandwidth, best case scenario maybe 2X dialup, if you have multiple users on at the same time, you share that speed - can you say PAINFULLY SLOW.

Good luck!

Two users can be logged on to the same account simultaneously?

In March I used the internet cafe for the first time because I was traveling with a friend instead of my DH. Didn't want to be away for 8 days without "talking" to him. I found the connections to be good, not that slow. I bought the 55 minute package and used it to send an e-mail to DH every day and read the response he sent me, check my e-mails, send a few e-mails to my kids over the week, check-in for our flight home, share the minutes with my roomate, help someone else check in (on my time) and JUST used the 55 minutes. Thought that was somewhat of a good deal! :rolleyes: Actually I don't think I would cruise again without buying a package so I could be in touch.

Have a great trip!:D

...Hubby and I need to have internet access for just a few minutes while on the ship...Do we need to bring our laptop or are there computers to use?

I'd just use the ship's computers if you're only going to use it for a few minutes, unless the laptop would also be useful to download pictures.

Amen to the snails pace of the connection. We just came back from a trip on the Conquest. The daughter unit was going through IM and Facebook withdrawals. As previously mentioned there was a one time fee of 3.95 to set up the access and then you purchase bundles of minutes.

In our case it ended up being a waste of money. Poor connection and slow speed. On the bright side however she was able to get a connection on her cell phone:( . International roaming and texting appeared on our bill. OUCH...:eek:

You can actually get a pretty great connection and cheaper in port if that's helpful to you. It depends on how often you really need to check in and how many port days you have though.

There are internet cafe's everywhere... :)

Archived