Packing list/suggestions for kids

new2cruising2008

I found some great packing lists/suggestions on *************** for women, men, and babies; but I'm traveling on my first cruise w/ 3 kids between ages 4-10.

Does anyone have a packing list that worked great; or suggestions for things to not forget & things to leave at home.

Thanks.

Here is what I have compiled from the CC Boards. Hope it helps!

over-the-door shoe organizer (hang on bathroom door for all the stuff that won't fit on the counter...which is just about everything)

nightlights (it's really dark in the middle of the ocean...or in your cabin bathroom)

flashlight

room deodorizer (sometimes we're REALLY glad to have that!)

hand sanitizer

disinfectant wipes

small nylon drawstring backpack (for misc. junk to take ashore)

small room fan

duct tape (yes, it has many uses, but that's another thread)

sticky notes

highlighter (for marking your favorite events in the Compass)

clothespins (keep towels and bathing suits on your deck chair and out of the ocean)

Go to Walmart or grocery store and buy those drink mixes that come in a little straw.THEY ARE CHEAP !!

Take a water bottle,fill it up with water on the ship,add your favourite mix and shake.

power strip

Some things I can't do with out on our family trips:

~suntan lotion (especially love the continuous spray varieties, so much easier and cleaner to apply)

~small first aid kit - with bandaids, disinfectant swabs, one use neosporin (this would be especially useful on port days)

~large ziplock bags (the possiblities are endless!)

~baby wipes for quick kid clean ups

~antibacterial hand gel - for when soap and water isn't close enough

~a beach bag with many pockets for all these items and more!

Have a great trip!:D

Our kids were 3 and 5 when we first started cruising. Now they're 8 and 10. We've learned a lot along the way. Here are my must have's for kids while cruising.

1. Don't forget the cute little character band-aids (spongebob, scooby-doo, etc.) to put in your purse for "owees" that need a special touch.

2. Insect repellant if you're going ashore where there's animals (zoo),hiking in the jungle, river tubing, etc. Most islands are loaded with mosquitos and insects.

3. Emetrol is the best nausea aid out there. My doctor recommended it for my kids when they had the flu, now we all use it. It's everywhere, Wal-Mart, Wal-Greens, etc. Always be prepared for seasickness.:(

4. Maybe I'm a little too organized, but I like to put each of my kids outfits into a 2 gallon ziplock bag with their name on it. Each kid then has their own drawer with matching outfits ready to go in individual ziplock bags.

5. I go to the dollar store and get an over the door shoe organizer. It's easy to pack and a great place to put the kids sandals. Each kid has their own row of shoes right where they can see it. ;) It's also great for sunglasses, sunscreen, keys, etc.

6. I also bring a pop-up laundry hamper that folds flat into the suitcase (also from the dollar store.) It's a great place to throw dirty clothes and has handles so it's easy to carry to the laundry room.

7. A couple of months before the trip I start accumulating toys from the dollar store, Wal-Mart clearance, etc. with stuff like coloring books, activity books, puzzles, etc. Then each kid gets their own backpack with goodies for the trip. Whether driving or flying it keeps them happy. I usually let them get a new item out every half hour or so. If they are not behaving, they have to wait longer. If they're really good, they sometimes get to pull something out sooner.:)

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add on later if I can think of anything else. Enjoy your cruise!

I always bring empty Gatorade bottles - the ones with the larger opening - and fill them with ice water before going on an excursion of even to the pool.

- Small ziplock bags to take snacks from the buffet if you are going on an excursion (ie: a muffin, cookies etc.)

- potable DVD player...keeps the kids quiet on the flight, especially if the movie isn't "kid Friendly." It also helps when some "quiet time" is needed late in the afternoon, before bed or early in the morning. The headphones help too, so that the adults don't have to listen to the TV blaring.

Clothes

-sundresses for girls are great for day and on casual nights they don't have to change clothes for dinner

-2 pair of jammies

- 2/3 pair of swimsuits

- double or triple the amount of undies for kids

- tide stain stick

-2 pair of sunglasses kids are always misplacing them

Shoes

- 1 pair of sandals/shoes for evening that goes with everything

- 1 pair of water shoes or flip-flops or crocs

- 1 pair of brown, white or metallic flip flops/crocs/sneakers for day

Toys/loveys

-don't forget a special small blanket or pillow

-1 favorite small stuffed animal to sleep with

-1 new toy depending on the age to keep kids busy while waiting for things

When we are traveling with my son (10), we never leave home without at least his ipod and gameboy - definitely keeps him entertained when there is lots of possible waiting involved (airport lines, embarking the ship, etc). And both are small so they don't take up much space. We also sometimes bring a small dvd player that he can keep with his carry on bag as well - but it depends on how much space we have left in our carry on's.

I said I'd come back with more info. if I remembered anything and I did. Don't worry about packing snacks unless it's just for the ride to and from the ship. They have tons of food on the ship including free room service. We order milk, juice, and cookies every night before bed for the kids.;) It may be free but tipping is encouraged as the waitstaff relies heavily on tips. I usually give them at least a couple of dollars.

Also, when going ashore, as you go through customs, they will usually confiscate any fresh fruit or open food containers. It's against the law to bring anything like that onto the island. The best snack on board is the small single serving boxes of cereal found at breakfast. They're brand new and unopened, so they make it through customs. My kids all fight over the fruit loops but my husband and I prefer frosted flakes. They make perfect snacks, they're not messy, kids love them, and best of all, they're free!:)

Archived