Your Best Upsell

ma_t_gus

Just trying to get a feel of the price on upsells. In case I get the call. :D

What is your best upsell ( not the upgrades )

1) cruiseline/ship

2) sail date

3) days before sail date when contacted

4) price per person

5) from what category to the new category

6) did you take it

7) was it worth it

1) cruiseline/ship NCL Pearl

2) sail date April, 2007

3) days before sail date when contacted Feb 2007

4) price per person $700

5) from what category to the new category AD to A3(Courtyard)

6) did you take it yep

7) was it worth it

YEP

The upsell enabled us to cruise with friends who shared the A3 with us!!!!

1) cruiseline/ship

2) sail date

4) price per person

6) did you take it

7) was it worth it

1. NCL Sun

2. Dec 2005

3. I contacted them through my TA about 3-4 weeks before sailing

4. I can't remember exact price - just the upsell cost

5. Original category - Inside GTY - the cabin they assigned me to was a superior INSIDE but I did not like the location - so I asked my TA to ask them if they would do an upsell and what they could offer. They offered a Superior OUTSIDE (on the promenade deck with a 50% obstructed view ) for $50 per person more.

6. Yes

7. I loved it - we really did not notice the obstruction - it was one of the best decisions we made re: a cruise

Would I do it again - not sure. I found that I did not like the uncertainty associated with a GTY. If I had a cabin I was satisfied with and I was offered a really good upsell to another "better" cabin whose location I liked I might do it again. I thought $50 was very reasonable to move from an inside to an outside.

My DH and I are going to Bermuda this Sunday on the Crown, and we had the AD category (I think.. maybe AC). They called me about a month ago and gave us the Owner's Suite for $300 pp more. Of course I took it! Sounds like it should be great, I'll let ya know :)

Ship: NCL Dawn

Date: Sept 05

Contact Date: 3 days before cruise

Price: $360. pp

Cat to Cat: BC to AB Penthouse!

Take it: Are you kidding, of course!

Worth it: Loved it, a dream come true.:D

My DH and I are going to Bermuda this Sunday on the Crown, and we had the AD category (I think.. maybe AC). They called me about a month ago and gave us the Owner's Suite for $300 pp more. Of course I took it! Sounds like it should be great, I'll let ya know :)

Melissa you will love the OS on the Crown. We had one in June - the Shalimar Suite:). It was great to have all that space, lots of closet room and drawers. The balcony was wonderful. Naveen, our butler, and Belkys, our concierge, were wonderful. We had canapes and treats all week. If you are interested, you can also order three bottles of liquor at no additional charge. Just remember that you have to finish:eek: them or declare them when you debark.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Virginia

1) cruiseline/ship

2) sail date

4) price per person

6) did you take it

7) was it worth it

1) NCL Dawn

2) 6/2005

3) 2 days after final payment

4) Additional: $900 TOTAL (don't know what it was pp) (would have been $4000 total)

5) From AF Mini Suite to AB Penthouse

6) You BET!!!

7) Absolutely!!! It was so worth it that we booked it out-right this time (6/2007) and next time (6/2008)

Have you ever received an upgrade you were not expecting? Last year we booked a AG GTY on NCL Star and got a AF. I realize it's not that much difference, but we were still surprised.

Smellytoes, maybe the next one will be the "charm".

I hope so. I'm beginning to think the upsell fairy doesn't like me.

1) cruiseline/ship

POH

2) sail date

October 2006

About 1 week after final payment

4) price per person

400 pp

AF to AP Penthouse

6) did you take it

yes

7) was it worth it

yes, waiting for the call for this November.

We've been visited by the upsell fairy on both of our Star Alaska cruises (May 06 and May 07). Last year had an obstructed Oceanview, upsold to a BA for $250.00 total. This year, had a BE Gty, was placed in a BC or BD, (can't remember which) and upsold to an aft AE penthouse for around $1,200 and loved it! Will forever be spoiled for anything lower than an aft balcony AE or above. We booked direct, don't know if that had any bearing.

Do you call NCL after final payment and ask for the upsell?

We had an inside on the Spirit a few years ago and we called and asked for an upgrade and they said 400 a piece and we said no, it was to an outside cabin. They called us back and said 200 total...that was a big difference and we did the 200 total...

Marlene

Others on this board have reported that they really frown on pax calling and requesting upsells, although it doesn't hurt to tell them you would be interested in an upsell when you book. The upsell dept. is small, I think one person per ship. Some have said pax might have been booking low and pestering for upsells months before their cruise.

We had an inside on the Spirit a few years ago and we called and asked for an upgrade and they said 400 a piece and we said no, it was to an outside cabin. They called us back and said 200 total...that was a big difference and we did the 200 total...

Marlene

This sounds like an upsell, upgrades are gratis.

Marlene

Not anymore. Last year (some time in the summer), they stopped accepting incoming calls from passengers and TAs because so many people were calling daily (and even more often) and starting months before their cruise date to ask/plead for an upsell. The department is tiny and simply couldn't handle the volume. (IMO, calling every day is an abuse of the whole concept, but that's just me.) So the management went to a "don't call us, we might call you (if we have upsells and if you end up on the list of passengers to call)." That's how it works now. It's kind of the luck of the draw based on how the cruise is selling, what cabins are or are not selling well, and what cabins they think they can upsell and then resell the original category.

Our unbelievable upsell:

1. PoH

2. December 2006

3. Three calls: First, 5 weeks before cruise (said no); second, 4 weeks before cruise (said no); third, 2 weeks before cruise (said yes)

4. $300 p/p ($600 total) (we already had a really good fare on the AF)

5. AF to A4 Courtyard Villa

6. Couldn't turn that down

7. Totally worth it; what a treat (never been in a suite before)

beachchick

1) cruiseline/ship

2) sail date

4) price per person

6) did you take it

7) was it worth it

1. Jewel

2. 10-2006

3. About 2 weeks.

4. It was a great deal.

5. AA to Garden Villa

6. YES

7. You bet.

1. Jewel

2. 10-2006

3. About 2 weeks.

4. It was a great deal.

5. AA to Garden Villa

6. YES

7. You bet.

We have an AA on the 9/15 sailing of the Star. We are hoping (but not holding our breath) that the upsell fairy calls us for the Garden Villa! My mother and a friend are in an inside and they already have their edocs....but not us.....makes us wonder (and hope)!

We have an AA on the 9/15 sailing of the Star. We are hoping (but not holding our breath) that the upsell fairy calls us for the Garden Villa! My mother and a friend are in an inside and they already have their edocs....but not us.....makes us wonder (and hope)!

We received our Docs and luggage tags, (old style) for our AA cabin. We actually checked in with those Docs and a notice of cabin change, (to the villa) from our T/A. I don't believe documents have anything to do with it.

While it is true that you can no longer call for upsells you can inform your PCC or T/A that you are looking for an upsell. With your mother in an inside cabin it would be great if you could all move to one of the GV's.

The GV was an awesome experience.

Good luck, but remember an AA is plenty of space for 2 passengers.

My best and ONLY upsell!

1) cruiseline/ship - Dawn

2) sail date - 04/06/06 10 night

3) days before sail date when contacted - about 45 days

4) price per person - I do not remember

5) from what category to the new category - inside to minisuite

6) did you take it - yes

7) was it worth it - absolutely!!

I hope I get a call again!

:D

1) cruiseline/ship NCL Spirit

2) sail date 08/04/07

3) days before sail date when contacted June, 2007

4) price per person 700 total $1400

5) from what category to the new category We got an 2 grade up grade to a BC from NCL due to the promtion that they are/were running and got the up sell to the AA suite only two on the Spirit

6) did you take it YES WE DID and think that we are glad we did

7) was it worth it Will let you know This will be my GF and my 3rd cruise together and each time we either got bumped up or an up sell So far we have no regrets on either taking to upgrade or the upsell

• 4 weeks later...

I got the yesterday while I was out of the house. I left a message but they never called back. The upsell must have been taken by someone else.

1) spirit 1-nighter

2) 9/23/07

3) 46 days before sail date

4) never got a chance to hear the offer

5) balcony to penthouse suite

6) they haven't called back but I might have taken it

7) wahh! I'll never know

ma t gus, how did you know they had called? Did they leave a message to tell you what they wanted? I have always wondered about that. I would love to get an offer, but I am sure it will never happen. Hope they call you back with a great offer.

Upsells:

POAm, Jan 06, BA to AE, $350/pp, saved at least $1000-$1500 ttl over what it would have originally cost. Having a suite for our Hawaii ceremony and honeymoon helped make this a cruise to remember.

Pearl, Sept 07, AF to AC, $350/pp, saved between $2000-$3000 ttl over what it would have originally cost. Really looking forward to being spoiled again!

On the first upsell, I called NCL due to the information I obtained here. This was when they were still taking the calls.

On the recent upsell, both my brother and I received e-mail offers. My brother and I both called and left messages. They returned my brother's call immediately. However they did not call me back. I sent an e-mail to follow up and everything was handled by e-mail after that, using a cc already on file. We ended up being in penthouse suites next to each other.

My advice if you receive an offer and are interested, don't give up if they don't return your call. Most definitely leave a voice mail. Better yet, if they leave you an e-mail address, respond that way. It's okay to ask a simple question or two, like what stateroom numbers are available, but don't monopolize their time because they are very busy. When they are done with you, they will most liklely try to offer your stateroom to someone else and so on.

But again, definitely send an e-mail response! And monitor your e-mails. My responses were typically received within about 30 minutes.

ma_t_gus: since they contacted you, if you are interested, I would still try again! They may still have something available, even if it isn't exactly the same offer.