Please help! first time cruiser!

lupee13

ok so this is going to be my first time going on a cruise, and i am going on the Carnival Ship the Sensation. I keep reading about the proper dress for the dinning rooms and it keeps confusing me. Is there one night when you have to dress up? and what do they exactly consider dressing up? and i've also read that there is another night not as dressy as the one i just mentioned but you are still expected to look decent. i mean are you not allowed to go eat in just jean shorts and a tank top?:confused: please help me!

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gif

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

What should I pack?spacer.gif

The first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

ok so this is going to be my first time going on a cruise, and i am going on the Carnival Ship the Sensation. I keep reading about the proper dress for the dinning rooms and it keeps confusing me. Is there one night when you have to dress up? and what do they exactly consider dressing up? and i've also read that there is another night not as dressy as the one i just mentioned but you are still expected to look decent. i mean are you not allowed to go eat in just jean shorts and a tank top?:confused: please help me!

Yes and there are many threads on the subject but I will help you out. Here are the guidelines from Carnival.

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I personally wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room but a lot of people do....but this, of course, is JMO. :)

I'm with Sandi. I also would not wear jeans and a t-shirt. However, a nice pair of capris and a top are ok for non-formal nights. Formal nights allow for a some dressing up, which I personally feel is fun to do.

Now others will come along and tell you jeans are fine.

I'm with Sandi. I also would not wear jeans and a t-shirt. However, a nice pair of capris and a top are ok for non-formal nights. Formal nights allow for a some dressing up, which I personally feel is fun to do.

Now others will come along and tell you jeans are fine.

Yup it's all a matter of opinion I guess. I like dressing up also especially when you buy all new clothes. :p

If you've been reading the boards then you know that jeans shorts and a tank top are only accpetable at breakfast and lunch in the dining room. Carnival has set guidelines as posted above by Wennfred. They're very easy to follow. Just plan accordingly.

its a 4 night cruise so that makes one night the formal night so for the other nights would jean skirts and polos be ok? or do i want to have slacks and "dressy" skirts

i'm sorry if i'm repeating old questions i swear i've been reading through the board

iso for the other nights would jean skirts and polos be ok? or do i want to have slacks and "dressy" skirts

Me, I'd just substitute khakis/capris/something else for the jeans skirts. Also, since the air conditioning can make things rather cool at night, you'll probably appreciate khakis/capris over the skirts.

There is no restriction against a jean skirt, but for me, personally, I'd feel underdressed for dinner in one. I've been on two cruises now with completely opposite styles of dress in the dining room. On our seven day, I only saw jeans maybe twice on men and no denim at all on the ladies (skirts or pants.) Almost everyone dressed like they would for an upscale land restaurant On our two day cruise, there were jeans and shorts everywhere even though shorts technically aren't allowed in the dining room. It will be up to the individual maitre'd to enforce and you could be turned away from the dining room for wearing shorts (saw it happen on the Miracle.) On our 2 day cruise the maitre'd was letting people into the dining room dressed however they wanted but saw people turned away from the captain's cocktail party who were considered underdressed.

For formal night, something on the order of a cocktail dress/dress pantsuit will work or you can go all out and wear a gown. Wear something you would wear for a nice wedding or a cocktail party and you'll fit right in.

If you don't want to dress up at all and stay in your shorts/tank tops,the buffet is open for dinner as well as the pizza place and usually the deli.

Beware - this topic will start a huge argument here as to whether or not jeans/denim are acceptable.

My first cruise will also be on the Sensation, in just one more week to go!!!

These posts have been very helpful, thank cruise criticis!

I plan to pack:

2 skorts, 2 knee length skirts, 2 capri pants, 2 sun dresses, 1 dress pant, 1 pantsuit and 4-6 short sleeve button shirts to mix/match, a dress jacket, fancy shawl and sweater. Oh, and of course my bathing suit.

Haven't decided to bring my jeans or not

I think this should cover all scenarios/venues once I see what everyone else will be wearing.

As for shoes? Will I find it difficult walking on deck with a low heel for the skirts or should I stick with sandels?

Am I overpacked for a 4 day cruise?

As for shoes? Will I find it difficult walking on deck with a low heel for the skirts or should I stick with sandels?

Flat shoes are much easier for walking on deck. It can be slippery anywhere around the pool area.

IMO, 'way overpacked. For a cruise of that length, I'd take one pr. of black or offwhite pants, a few pretty tops, one pr. of dress shoes that will go w/all - for evening. One nicer outfit for formal night, and two pr. of shorts with a few tees. I pack light, and always mix and match.:)

My first cruise will also be on the Sensation, in just one more week to go!!!

These posts have been very helpful, thank cruise criticis!

I plan to pack:

2 skorts, 2 knee length skirts, 2 capri pants, 2 sun dresses, 1 dress pant, 1 pantsuit and 4-6 short sleeve button shirts to mix/match, a dress jacket, fancy shawl and sweater. Oh, and of course my bathing suit.

Haven't decided to bring my jeans or not

I think this should cover all scenarios/venues once I see what everyone else will be wearing.

Yes girl. As Cotton said, way overpacked.

You've got 8 dinner/evening outfits for a 4 night cruise. You could cut what you've packed in half and still have more than enough.

great advice, from the 'herd... it's hard when you invision all these fancy dressed people. It's not at all like that.... by day is casual, shorts for breakfast is fine... bathing suits with cover ups for the buffet, lido deck is good, kacki or skirt with shirt thrown over is good for lunch. sundress or skirt, kacki, dress shirt or slacks with shirt is fine for dinner.... in dinning room... formal night, everything from cocktail dress to long formal dress goes on that one night... no jeans skirt or jeans.,

I bring fancy "high heeled" sandles which can be substituted by day or casual night with flat sandles for day which match all my outfits and black high heels to match my formal dress and night life clothes, which only makes 3 pair of shoes, vrs. the 9 I brought on many a sails. all my night life and formal outfits must match a single pair of shoes.

we find we wear more day wear and I multi mix night wear with more cruising experience for ease of packing, but it takes years of buildng up a wardrobe to get there, you won't be there your first cruise unless you spend a bundle, once you are hooked, you buy cruising clothes on sale and multi-task them with quality shoes.

we all were never "there" with our wardrobe on our first cruise, takes experience, looking around and finding the right thing.... just enjoy yourself in your budget.

You might be right Cotton. Just struck me as too odd.

Well, if there are odd questions to ask, this sure seems to be the place. Sometimes, I just shake my head in amazement.:D

Archived