Tips for cruising in September 2007 with an 18 month old baby?

Sueell

We're travelling on Brilliance of the Seas from Venice to Barcelona in September with an 18 month old baby. Any tips for us before we go?

Any suggestion to enhance our trip would be very appreciated.

Sue :rolleyes:

I will be cruising with DS who will be 18 months when we cruise. One of the best pieces of advice I received so far was dealing with dinner. If you plan on bringing you child to dinner with you. Go to the Dollar store and stock up on some new toys. That way each night when you get to dinner you can give your child a new toy. Because it is a new toy it will keep them occupied and happy for a good while at dinner giving you a chance to enjoy dinner as well.

I have already tried this when I had to take my DS to a resturant the other day and he was so well behavied I had strangers come up and tell me when a great child I had.

Katie

Do you have an Asda or Morrisons near you? They sell fab little toys for a pound or so each and keep little ones amused for ages. Also go to Tesco and buy the £3.99 doodle/etch a sketch type thing. Dirt cheap and a great toy!

Bring your car seat along on the plane, buy an extra seat if necessary, keeps your little one much more manageable.

If you haven't used them already disposable bibs are a good way forward, try Boots or Mothercare for theses. Do you use baby sleeping bags? If not GET ONE NOW! You can get trabvel ones that clip into the buggy! Great for carrying in your handluggage in case your main stuff goes walkies (ask me how I know:rolleyes: ) and also great for putting your little one into so you can go our for dinner.

Regarding your flights (airline bore here, my job;) ) you can take only items less than 100ml carried in a clear plastic bag that is no more than 1litre capacity. Decant some calpol into a smaller clear bottle (available at Boots) for travel, you may not need it, but it might save your life. You will be asked to taste any liquids you bring for your little one. If they are still on formula at all either try and do with out or bring cow and gate bottles of growing up milk, that way you can reseal them with little to no problems. The 100ml doesn't apply to baby foods/milk, but the general rule of thumb is to bring no more than you are likely to need for your flight. Hopefully your airport has a Boots airside in case you are stuck. I would definitely check this out. You are only allowed one item of handluggage each. This does include handbags so you couldn't carry a trolleybag, changebag, backpack and handbag.

you are going on a very port intensive cruise. I would strongly recommend taking an umbrella stroller- folds up easily and you can use it on the ship- great for the hallways and elevators- Don't bring a larger one.

As for dining- I did Radiance of the Seas (sister to Brilliance) and found the buffet to be really great. My son and I never dined in the main diningroom. We just relaxed and ate when and if we felt like it. This meant that I could wear capri pants and a nice shirt each night- I didn't bring any formal wear. It was one of the most relaxing cruising we have been on for this reason.

The key with kids is to be flexible- the will certainly give you this flexibility- because you can take your food outside and they can walk around and not cause any problem at all. YOu will see plenty of little ones on board.

Make sure that your child is able to take naps at the usual time each day. Kids like routine. So don't plan all day excursions unless your child will sleep in the stroller. I'd do shorter- 1/2 day excursions and then take a nice nap together in the cabin. That way your child won't be fussy.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise. I am doing Barcelona-Venice next week!:) :) :)

. Do you use baby sleeping bags? If not GET ONE NOW! You can get trabvel ones that clip into the buggy! Great for carrying in your handluggage in case your main stuff goes walkies (ask me how I know:rolleyes: ) and also great for putting your little one into so you can go our for dinner.

Very sorry but this southern US girl does not know what you are talking about. Please explain because you seem to have a lot great advice and my 18 mo grandaughter will be with us in Sept.

thank you

Archived