Which Digital Camera for Snorkeling???

thejohnsonzoo

Been researching underwater cameras for snorkeling with the kids (ages 5-13)- they love the pix of the fish but the disposables seem a huge waste of money! Anyone have a recommendation for a digital underwater camera from $200-400? We are not professionals but like some good shots - thanks!!! (leaving in 7 days :eek: !)

I bought a great camera set-up from Amazon.com. Canon Powershot A570is with a Canon WP-DC12 housing for under $400. This allows you to use the camera as a regular land camera and when placed in the housing it is good to 130'. It makes great underwater pics and even has an underwater mode, though I usually use the manual mode for u/w pics.

Looking at the underwater digital cameras. Some seem very small - is it more difficult to take pix with a small camera underwater than one of the bigger UW cameras or one with big housing? (we don't usually wear gloves to snorkel)

(Have a "old" Canon Powershot G3 & "newer" Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 - neither have housings available that I can see. Bad luck here!)

I am new to this posting "stuff" - couldn't figure out how to change my posting or how to reply, sorry!

For our cruise I did a lot of research and bought an Olympus 770SW underwater digital camera. Bought it at BestBuy for $350. It's a pretty rugged camera that goes to 33 feet and is shockproof. I haven't shot any underwater pics with it yet but I've taken it with me while kayaking and it takes nice photos (it's a 7.1 megapixel camera)The only thing i don't like is it does not have eye viewing only the screen. (maybe to make it secure down to 33 feet?) In sunlight it can be kind of hard to see the screen.

Olympus also makes the 720SW that you can probably find a bit cheaper since it's the generation before the 770.

Looking at the underwater digital cameras. Some seem very small - is it more difficult to take pix with a small camera underwater than one of the bigger UW cameras or one with big housing? (we don't usually wear gloves to snorkel)
No, it isn't any more difficult to use a smaller camera UW than topside.

(Have a "old" Canon Powershot G3 & "newer" Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 - neither have housings available that I can see. Bad luck here!)
Have you checked http://www.digideep.com That site shows what housings are available for what camera.

I am new to this posting "stuff" - couldn't figure out how to change my posting or how to reply, sorry!

No problem. You only get about 15 minutes to go back and edit a post.

I've also been thinking about buying the waterproof housing for my camera but I've always been a little bit nervous on how secure they really are. meaning I'm afraid of them leaking and then ruining my camera as well as maybe the memory card. Can anyone comment on using the housing and just how waterproof it really is?

I've also been thinking about buying the waterproof housing for my camera but I've always been a little bit nervous on how secure they really are. meaning I'm afraid of them leaking and then ruining my camera as well as maybe the memory card. Can anyone comment on using the housing and just how waterproof it really is?

Nikon doesn't make a housing for my digicam, but I've used the NiCaPad underwater camera bag and had no problems with it, so I'd think you'd be fine with one of the hardcase housings made specifically for your camera. Hardcase housings should be pretty secure, because they're generally built to withstand the pressure of scuba diving depths; I'd think shallow snorkeling depths should be no problem.

I had the same problem with my Cannon Powershot A530. They did not make a housing for this specific model. After a lot of research, I ended up getting a Sealife Reefmaster Mini for $299. It is 6MP digital camera w/ flash. It is waterproof to 130' and shockproof to 6' with lots of settings and editing features. It just came out this year, so I didnt find alot of info on it before I bought it, but I am quite pleased with it so far.

2087594385_SpottedMorey.jpg.6ab366ba181c60eef034f3ea63bf6446.jpg

Housings are very secure IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES. Before each and every use, be sure you remove the o-ring seal, then clean and grease it before putting it back into the case. The grease you need is usually supplied with the underwater case.

Use grease sparingly, it's only used to keep the o-ring moist and pliable, which helps it last longer. The o-ring creates the seal, not the grease. Use only enough grease on the o-ring so that you are aware that there is grease on it. You should not see even small amounts of grease globbed up on the o-ring.

Be sure you remove any sand, hair, etc. that might be on the o-ring. Be sure to clean the o-ring groove on the case as well. I use a clean Q-Tip for cleaning the groove, making sure that none of the cotton comes off and remains inside.

Failing to clean the o-ring and related areas could result in a leak that would ruin your camera. A single hair or grain of sand can cause a leak so don't overlook anything. The whole process doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes and that inlcudes getting everything ready to putting it away.

My wife and I both use an underwater housing on our cameras, she for snorkeling and me for scuba diving. Neither of us has ever experienced a leak but I do the cleaning process before every use - without fail.

In addition, when I get back to the ship, I rinse the camera case in the shower before I ever remove the camera. The fresh water will rinse away any salt deposits and help keep them from accummulating on the buttons or other small areas of the case. I then lightly dry the case with a towel before removing the camera to keep any excess water from dripping on the camera during the removal process.

Denny

For our cruise I did a lot of research and bought an Olympus 770SW underwater digital camera. Bought it at BestBuy for $350.

I used my 770SW on our Tahitian cruise (June 26-July 10) both in and out of the water. It takes GREAT pictures - is a snap (pun intended) to use :). Took good photos at night (Polynesian dancers and fireworks) as well as under water.

I also took my older Olympus D-560 and ended up using only the 770SW for all my photos. BTW, mine came from Amazon for about $330 with shipping.

I had the same problem with my Cannon Powershot A530. They did not make a housing for this specific model. After a lot of research, I ended up getting a Sealife Reefmaster Mini for $299. It is 6MP digital camera w/ flash. It is waterproof to 130' and shockproof to 6' with lots of settings and editing features. It just came out this year, so I didnt find alot of info on it before I bought it, but I am quite pleased with it so far.

Nice photo. I've been looking at the Reefmaster Mini also but have not found many reviews. At what depth did you shoot the moray?

Nice photo. I've been looking at the Reefmaster Mini also but have not found many reviews. At what depth did you shoot the moray?

Since its a newer camera, there are not too many reviews out there yet, but I am happy with it so far. I was only snorkling, so I probably dove down to only about 10-12' to take it. One thing I forgot is that it also has a video mode. I got a great video of a Green Sea Turtle swimming by me off of Kona. I am taking it diving next month, so I will get to see how it handles pics at depths.

Since its a newer camera, there are not too many reviews out there yet, but I am happy with it so far. I was only snorkling, so I probably dove down to only about 10-12' to take it. One thing I forgot is that it also has a video mode. I got a great video of a Green Sea Turtle swimming by me off of Kona. I am taking it diving next month, so I will get to see how it handles pics at depths.

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. At this point in my vacationing career I am just a snorkeller but I see myself graduating to diving within the next few years but in the mean time don't want to hassle with a housing. Looks like I'll be chosing between the Mini Reefmaster and the Olympus 770SW.

Thanks Mimi

I had almost as much fun putting the show together as I did taking the pics.

The best part is that I get to do it again November 3, 2007

Look for the next chapter when we get back.

Larry

I have a reefmaster Mini and have been happy with it so far. Seems to do well both underwater and at the surface. And if I was just snorkeling, they have a version that its about $50 less that the only difference is the depth you can take it.

Probably the only negative is the batterylife. Coupled with the underwater temps, I go through a pair of AA batteries every day I use the camera.

But given the price for a housing on for my Canon ($500), I think it was worst the investment.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

We just used our Sealife Reefmaster Mini in St John and Grand Turks and loved it. It is really cool to have a short video clip when you see something really fun! We took hundreds of pictures and were suprisingly happy with them.

The battery life is short but of course, AA's are pretty cheap. Someone else said that they make some double A's that are specific for digital cameras that last much longer but I haven't tried them yet.

We've enjoyed ours so much that we plan on getting a 2nd one so we can quit fighting over it.

Hi folks!

I started with a Reefmaster - the first digital model. It took great 'happy snaps' for under $300.

Last Xmas, we bought ourselves the Olympus 720SW and the case, for about $600 (1 meg card included). My object is to move up to 'photos.' Maybe eventually, I'll go for strobes and go for 'photography.'

I researched prices, and bought the camera & 1 meg card on a price match from Best Buy, and the case from Divers Direct, also on a price match.

We've only gotten it out in the water once so far, but it was wonderful. It's shock resistant, which is great because I'm a bit of a klutz. It's also water resistant, which means I don't have to freak out if my case leaks a little bit (completely dry!).

Unfortunately, on our spring trip, we had a bit too much surge for good photos, and I was still trying to figure out all the buttons.

Have a great time with whichever camera you decide to buy!

Wendy

pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Fireworm with the old Reefmaster in Dominica

1232796552055701600S600x600Q85.jpg

Fireworm with the Olympus in St. Kitts

2363887970055701600S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived