Metro in Athens

How do you find the metro when your ship docks in Piraeus. Is it easy to find? Thank you

Hi,

I've posted all of this information (copied the Athens part below re metro) in a VERY detailed Legend of the Seas port information. See my posting which is several below yours.

TRAIN: Athens Trains ON YOUR OWN

Note: If walking to the metro or bus to the metro in Pireas from the port, bear left past the busses to get on the main street and you need a bus heading LEFT towards the metro. On the street there was kiosk where you can buy a bus ticket for #843 (.50 euros each way) that will take you to the metro station. I was told that bus #832, 833, 826 or 875 would also take us to the metro & to tell the bus driver to tell you when to get off for the "metro station". Unfortunately, we arrived on a Sunday when everything was closed and couldn’t buy tickets for the bus! Beware the heat in the summer! The walk to the metro is about 1½+ miles and can be unbearable. Consider a cab (8 – 10 euros) since the walk is 25 minutes to the metro (& you’ll be tired from Egypt) and there is a lot of smog in Athens! When you get on the metro (want a train going to Monastraki), you will see the Thissio stop (6th stop) just before the Monastraki stop (= 7th stop) where we got off. Either of these stops will work. Monastraki is close to the Plaka. Thissio is a 15-minute walk to the Acropolis and may be a tad closer. [The taxi quoted us 18 euros from the port directly to the Plaka.] The metro costs .70 euros each way (1.4 euros each total--buy enough for round-trip). (The cab driving us TO the metro charged us 10 euros but another driver charged us 8 euros on the return from the metro to the port. No need to tip though.)

We went to the Hard Rock Café to buy a shirt for my daughter on Filaealias Street (near the Plaka.) About a block away was Sindagma Square (= a metro stop too) where there are several upscale hotels that have rooftop bars/restaurants with views of the Parthenon. (It was a chance to relax and cool down too.) Our cab driver also recommended Dionios Restaurant, which he said was very upscale and across the street from the Acropolis with great views. (We never went there though.)

Athens—recent passenger hints:

Information can be found on Athens at http://www.greeceathensaegeaninfo.com

I found Rick Steves article on Athens really helpful both for advance planning and while in Athens: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...ece/athens.htm

Archived