Tipping on QM2

Fred C

"I always remove my tips and tip the peple who care for me"

Sorry, doesn´t work that way. If you leave the auto tip in place and then tip over and above that amount the individual is allowed to keep the tip. However, if you remove the auto tip, the server, steward, etc., is required to turn in any amount you may tip personally. It then goes into the common pool. This is fleet wide on all CCL ships. In fact, Princess, the managing entity for Cunard, dismissed at least two individuals last year for failing to disclose tips given to them after the auto tip was removed.

How does the cruise line know? Many, many ways. One is "honesty". Others are the loud mouths who expound at great length at the front desk how they demand the removal..."I will tip my people, personally, yada,yada." Naturally, the desk makes a note. Also, in the Princess case, the waiter lied about a personal tip, but his assistant, and the relevant cabin steward turned theirs in. A computer list of removals is generated and given to all supervisors who then question each individual personally.

The penalty for lying is dismissal. The crew does not take this lightly. So, in summary, your tips are pooled...one way of the other. Has someone ever gotten away with lying? Sure,, but the risk is huge.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCOTTISH MALT AND IRISH MALT?

Isn't it something to do with the number of times the spirit is distilled? That and Irish Malts are all blended Malts, whereas you get both single and blended Scottish.

"I always remove my tips and tip the peple who care for me"

Sorry, doesn´t work that way. If you leave the auto tip in place and then tip over and above that amount the individual is allowed to keep the tip. However, if you remove the auto tip, the server, steward, etc., is required to turn in any amount you may tip personally. It then goes into the common pool. This is fleet wide on all CCL ships. In fact, Princess, the managing entity for Cunard, dismissed at least two individuals last year for failing to disclose tips given to them after the auto tip was removed.

How does the cruise line know? Many, many ways. One is "honesty". Others are the loud mouths who expound at great length at the front desk how they demand the removal..."I will tip my people, personally, yada,yada." Naturally, the desk makes a note. Also, in the Princess case, the waiter lied about a personal tip, but his assistant, and the relevant cabin steward turned theirs in. A computer list of removals is generated and given to all supervisors who then question each individual personally.

The penalty for lying is dismissal. The crew does not take this lightly. So, in summary, your tips are pooled...one way of the other. Has someone ever gotten away with lying? Sure,, but the risk is huge.

If this is true (and I don't doubt that it is) then all the months and months of discussing it were based on false information, and were a waste of time.

Rich

That about sums it up.

There have been myriad threads about this on every CCL forum, ( as well as RCL, NCL, etc.) and it has been explained over and over.

Unfortunately, some folks refuse to accept the reality of cruise ship tipping today and contniue to delude themselves.

Of course, some people solve the problem by not tipping, at all!;)

Princess NCL and any other company which has freestyle or anytime dining work on this principle. Tips have to be handed in and if you tip in the anytime dining room these waiters will ask your state room no. Also the tips given to the state room stewards have also to be handed in. It is permissable to give another gift or tip which may be retained. I have given a piece of Jewellery to a waitress and exta tips and gifts to stewards.

Carnival own Cunard as well as Costa and many others aswe all know. Until last year or probably the year before Princess and P&O when then taken over by Carnival making it the largest Cruise company. There was fierce competition RCI who own Celebrity and had they won the P&O Princess business RCI would now be the largest Cruise company.

Tips given to individuals like Cunard Celebrity RCI etc are given to those involved albeit that 75c goes to the Chief Housekeeper and 75c to the M'D

I know this is absolutely and also that on the morning before you are given these voucher to put in envelopes the on X and RCI already have their money in their hand. They have told me so and on one occassion when I did not pre pay tips I was given vouchers mistakenly. The steward however had not had the money. He had asked me if I had prepaid as I had the voucher and he was told by his Supervisor that I had not. I told him I would sort it out and I did.

I don't post things lightly without being pretty sure of my facts and therefore I say again yes you are right about the companies who have anytime dining free style dining and this is to make sure that it is fair and honest. I agree that it is correct that people who abueuse this trust should be dismissed.

Sue

TUT TUT for saying that all Irish Malts are blended no they are single malts!! and never blended the whole purpose of a MALT is that it is single and not a blend and this is what makes it superior and of course more expensive. Normal or regular whiskey are blended.

On the right track with the distilling is all I am prepared to say at the moment give it another go York Man!

Sue

I will say no more on the tipping issue as there will never be agreement on this. I was not saying that no other Cruise line did not do automatic tipping I was merely saying that the do but it (Cunard had this some years ago when I was on Caronia 6 years ago) it is just how the tips are dealt with by the different companies and this is my last word on the subject.

How could I make such a fatal mistake and spell it wrong or rather the US spell got it wrong. WHISKY is of course how it is spelt! Hang my head in shame for not take notice of this!

On the Salmon piddling in the water they do this in anycase and it all adds to the flavour of those WILD salmon! UGH to the farmed sort and all the poo etc. I didn't eat it at all for a long time when there were some articles in the press of what happens with farmed salmon and here I would be opening another can of worms.

Still waiting on the right answer to that question If I say I will post some whisky or buy the first to get the answer to the really true answer to this question right just look it up. Again to those of you who know say nothing until we have some more novel ideas!

Sue

All I have ever know and my husband taught me this is that Malt as we would buy it would always be single. There is also Island Highland and Low land Scottish Malts but you will all know that already especially you wee Scot.

Off to bed Really the distilling is the right way to go!

Sue

The subject is (was ) QM2.

1. Leave auto tip in place: distributed by set formula.

2. Remove auto tip, and tip individually: Tips go into common pool.

3. Tip over and above auto tip left in place: Individuals get to keep the extra tip.

That´s it.....This has been reiterated by experts hundreds of times, but some folks still operate on the "I know what I believe...don´t confuse me with facts".

The subject is (was ) QM2.

1. Leave auto tip in place: distributed by set formula.

2. Remove auto tip, and tip individually: Tips go into common pool.

3. Tip over and above auto tip left in place: Individuals get to keep the extra tip.

That´s it.....This has been reiterated by experts hundreds of times, but some folks still operate on the "I know what I believe...don´t confuse me with facts".

You are right. But so what? The "I know what I believe..." will never change.

Dying "being right" just means that you spend eternity in the company of "I told you so". Take it easy, dip your farl in a bit of honey, have a sip of your favorite libation, and consider the extras you might enjoy on your next QM2 voyage that will be worth tipping.

Malt as we would buy it would always be single. There is also Island Highland and Low land Scottish Malts

Sue - There are such things as vatted (blended) Malts. The three types of Scottish Malts are Highland, Island and Speyside.

Highland, Island, and lowland malts! Yes you are right generally the malts from outwith these first 2 areas is called Lowland Malt. I don't drink the but I do make the best Cranachan in the whole of Harrogate courtesy of Nick Nairn's recipe.

Question have you ever visited the Distillery at Crieff with the famous Cat who has met the Queen amongst others? WAS ON THE BLUE PETER BUT I THINK NOW DEAD. My children are grown now and this cat lay in a place of honour and was famous for its mouse catching!

Sue

On the last dinner of our crossing this month our waiter chatted with us as waiters always do on the last evening. He wasn't looking for tips though, what he wanted was a tick in the excellent box on the passenger satisfaction form. To him the important thing was keeping his job, for I am sure Cunard do look at the results in the surveys and sack any server or steward who gets consistantly bad "marks".

We have had some wonderful waiters and stewards and some really bad ones. Should we score as we find or always tick the excellent one for good and bad service alike as recomended by Cruise Director Ray Rouse in his little TV talk?

David.

Scottish Malt is distilled twice and Irish 3 times

The Scots claim that the Irish only need to distill it a 3rd time because they got it wrong the first time!

Dont drink any of it but my SIL favours Irish Bushmills and my husband's favourite was Bowmore.

Each to his own! Who is going to make all these pancakes crumpets pikelets etc etc.

The waffles on the QM were nothing as good as those on Celebrity. Only fault I could find and it was only the posts here that made me think of it. OH but the pancakes were great!

Sue

• 10 months later...
Guest Anorak33

You must be desperate reading year old threads!

However while we are on the subject of tipping what do you think a QG waiter is expecting as a tip at the end of a two week or so cruise? I know we pay the autotip, but really they do seem to expect something more and I never know what is appropriate.

I hate seeing them look disappointed.

I didn't see any obvious tipping going on recently on QE2 in the QG but maybe I was not observant, also it would have been at the end of dinner probably and that means I am marginally ratfaced after a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses of port.

To be honest our waiters did their job quite well, but that was about it. It was sometimes a little bit of a struggle to get water glasses refilled in a timely manner or whatever but as we were never in a rush to make a show or anything it really didn't matter.

I did discuss with my partner that the QG waiters we had, in particular one of them, was a bit on the casual side - which was good.

It always annoys me on Princess ships when they are trained to say - whatever your choice from the menu - "an excellent choice Sir".

Our QG waiter used to say "OK, won't be long" or something like that. And I don't think he knew our names, if he did then he never used them. Maybe thats what they are told to do now?

I knew their names and used them frequently to call them over from their station for whatever we needed.

Anyway, back to the extra tips, how much?

You must be desperate reading year old threads!

Anyway, back to the extra tips, how much?

Not desperate '33' but I'm fascinated by the amount of handwringing that goes on about tipping.

I can only repeat what I've said on a different forum somewhere where this subject was the cause of dozens and dozens of posts, some of them quite heated.

1. The employees financial arrangements with the company are no concern of the passengers and it is arrogant and patronising to think that they are.

2. On most cruise lines the tariff of tips is clearly set out in the pre-cruise information.

I note that a lot of the angst about this matter comes from Grill passengers. For goodness sake, if you are travelling 'Grill' then presumably you have held some kind of responsible position in business or a profession unless you have inherited or won your cash. And you must have made a success of your life to be able to travel in that class. So surely you can make a simple decision like this, what is it with all the wimpy questions?

Everybody financial situation is different. There can be no right or wrong.

If you use the company system then that is your obligation taken care of.

If you really get some extra special service and you think it merits a tip be as generous as you can, within reason.

If you choose to opt out of the company system and tip personally then again be as generous as you can. (although I heard last voyage that if you opt out then the recipient of a personal gratuity has to declare it or risk dismissal )

If you choose not to tip for whatever reason then for goodnes sake be a man, have the courge of your convictions and dont make pathetic excuses. Just walk off.

In answer to your question 'How much?' It doesn't matter. However little it is better than nothing. And if you get the rolled eye treatment just ask for it back and tell him to bugger off.

Gari

Archived