Qm2 Southampton/new York Back To Back Oct 2008

southwestie

We have just booked qm2 southampton to new york, any one else ever done the crossing back to back, any ideas, help etc please.:)

We've done a back to back on Queen Elizabeth 2. No real approach needed - remember your long days are on the way out, short on the way home.

You'll have immigration at New York, but this seems to be getting better. Red Hook isn't as well located as Manhattan, so be careful about getting back early.

Were it me, I'd be tempted to miss New York completely, and have a quiet day on the ship. I'll be flamed for this, but it's up to you of course.

Matthew

We have just booked qm2 southampton to new york, any one else ever done the crossing back to back, any ideas, help etc please.:)
We have done b to b twice, last one last wek.

Crossings are very different from cruises. We would never do a cruise on QM2, but love the crossings with no ports to intrude and only the sea to see.

Organise your day. Even if you only want to relax and do very little, though there is so much going on this is not easy. Read the daily programme.

You will get a little folded map book of the ship. Take it with you as it can save lots of time and avoid getting lost. It's common to find folk wandering around aimlessly looking for a venue. This is a big ship and not very logically laid out until you get to know it.

Don't be fooled by the free bottle of fizz you will find in your cabin (assuming you are not in the elevated classes) it really is quite disgusting.

If you have a film camera take all you will need with you, they don't stock it aboard.

Pay a visit to the dogs on deck 13. They appreciate it.

Prepare for quite a bit of walking, the corridors are long.

David.

First of all its going to be wonderful........but you know that having done a crossing before.

We have done the 'double' twice from Southampton and loved it and have to say we prefer QM2 on the crossing to the cruise......did the caribbean in March/April this year.

The menu's will repeat on the way home but if you make friends with the maitre'd he will no doubt see you are looked after. We were in the princees grill and they just told us to order anything if the menu didnt suit (which was rare)

If you decide to have the day in NYC you will be able to disembark with those who do choose to take off their own luggage.......we got off early had a taxi take us to a typical NYC deli for breakfast and then went shopping.

Some taxis seemed not very thrilled about going out to the terminal but we had no real problem.

The thought of a day in NYC without a visit to Lord and Taylors on 5th Ave is unthinkable on the part of 'the management'

We are booked to return from US in June 08

Chris and Sheila

thanks everyone for the replys, we have been on the QM" before on the southampton to NYC crossing, this is what started us crossings and cruising.

we wanted to do the crossing back to back, the ultimate:) trip, we are also on the caribbean cruise this NOV .

what we wanted to know was how the return crossing works, is anything new although I know there is so much to see we can just relax and take in the trip.

Hopefully the seas wont be so rough either

as for NYC we have been many times and I think we will just relax and watch as the QM2 prepairs to return, take on new passengers etc

Does this go for non owners too?

You can't join the dogs in the enclosure along with their owners - but you can stand at the rail - and of course some of them want to make new friends.....

Peter

I misjudged Kirsten. She's very anti the whole idea of dogs on ships, thinking that it is mean to the dogs. I see her point in anything other than a millpond like crossing.

Matthew

Archived