Victoria at night?

NCmomwithteens

Victoria is a great place to wander at night. I lived there most of my life and was up there last summer. You can shuttle into downtown and the stores will be open late, the Empress and Parliment buildings are beautiful lite up at night. Lots of street performers along the waterfront.You can take a horse drawn carriage tour of the area. Fishermans wharf close to the cruise ship dock has awesome fish & chips (usually lined up)and its down on a dock surrounded by house boats. If its a nice night a walk along Dallas road or the Breakwater is awesome and makes for wonderful pictures.

Enjoy!

What would be your suggestion for the way to dress in Victoria in the evening? Does it get terribly chilly?

We will be going to Butchart Gardens on a Saturday night in order to enjoy the fireworks. Any hints that we should know about? Discount tickets, should they be purchased ahead of time, etc.

we took a stroll from dock to empress hotel. It was about 25minute walk. You need to walk pass several blocks of dark streets (pretty safe) before getting to the city center. Once you get there, the street scene was very lively. Just walking on the street, doing people watching is quite an experience by itself

UTVOLS - if you are in Victoria on a Saturday night and plan on going to Butchart's, I cannot stress enough that you should take a ship's tour. Saturday nights are extremely busy and when everyone leaves after the fireworks, the road is bumper to bumper, if you're stuck in a taxi the ship won't wait for you. However they most likely will wait for a ship's tour to get back.

cruiseryyc,

Thank you for your word of caution.

We will actually be spending the night in Victoria pre-cruise. We are flying into Seattle, taking the ferry to Victoria, spending the night, then heading to Vancouver, spending the night, and departing on Monday.:) We will have a rental car, so your advice on the traffic is priceless.

UTVOLS The weather at night is fine I am sure if you just bring along a light sweater as Victoria is surrounded by water and there can sometimes be a cool breeze off the ocean. But saying that when I was there last August and stayed downtown it was warm all night. We wore shorts and t-shirts until late in the evening walking around. I guess it all depends on where you from as to what you consider warm or cool. :)

UTVOLS - if you are in Victoria on a Saturday night and plan on going to Butchart's, I cannot stress enough that you should take a ship's tour. Saturday nights are extremely busy and when everyone leaves after the fireworks, the road is bumper to bumper, if you're stuck in a taxi the ship won't wait for you. However they most likely will wait for a ship's tour to get back.

?? Most likely will wait?? I booked the excursion through the cruise line to make sure that they waited for us!

wickedwitch1 - don't worry they'll wait, it was early in the morning when I first replied and my brain wasn't awake yet.

utvols - As you will be at Butcharts after the sun goes down, I would suggest taking along a sweater or windbreaker of some kind. Also if you can possibly take a blanket to sit on for the fireworks - that would be perfect. Lots of people take picnics out with them, set their blanket and picnic down on the grass where the fireworks take place and then spend a couple of hours wandering the gardens. Don't worry your stuff will still be there when you get back - but don't leave valuables that would be asking too much for people to leave alone! This fireworks display is amongst the best in the world, you will thoroughly enjoy them.

Archived