Recommendations For P.e.i. Early November

Plenty of things to do on PEI. The gov't tourism site has a list at http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/index.php3?number=1010970〈=E

You can also call them or order the guide. Take my word for it, they will bend over backwards to help you find something that you want to do.

We stopped by the Anne of Green Gables house, but we also went to the beach twice. Out to Souris to see the singing sand. To some of the lighthouses. To the miniatures. Out to the old train station. And we went to dinner at Inn at Bay Fortune. Heck, we even went to the drive-in movie theatre (though you probably won't be there that late at night.

Two warnings, be careful when it comes to garbage and ask them what garbage goes in which can. In PEI they have 5 or 6 different garbage cans in some places. The other is that you won't find cans of soft drinks (soda or pop, if you prefer). It all comes in recyclable bottles in PEI.

Some of the nicest people are in PEI.

Well, to be honest, things to do start getting pretty limited during early November. Most tourist type attractions are closed. Year round attractions would be historical buildings and the Confederation Centre Art Gallery.

As for weather, it will be quite cool to cold, and it's not unusual to get some snow in early November. You may get to see the last of the beautiful Fall colours, but usually all the leaves have fallen by mid November. You could take a sight seeing tour and see our beautiful beaches, though, it wouldn't be quite the same as having a day at the beach now.

There are walking trails and a boardwalk along the waterfront in Charlottetown where you will be docking if that sort of thing appeals to you. There are plenty of shops, good restaurants and pubs as well.

You don't like Anne of Green Gables, what does interest you, knowing that I might be able to make some better suggestions.

We do have a 3 stream source separation waste program here. Being an Island, there are only so many places to bury garbage so 13 years ago we began the "Waste Watch" program. Typically you will find 3 or 4 cans available, one for compostable organics, one for waste, one or two for recyclables (one for recyclable paper products and the other for glass, cans and recyclable plastics). Generally the cans are marked for your information but don't fear we only ask you as a visitor to try your best, we won't fine you if you put it in the wrong can, only if you throw it on the ground ;) you can learn more about it here http://www.iwmc.pe.ca

There is a possibility there will soon be beer, pop, soft drinks or soda available in cans on PEI. The government is looking at changing the legislation that presently makes the sale of flavoured carbonated beverages in non-refillable containers illegal.

And yes, there are definitely some of the nicest people here on PEI :D

MonaCD,

Any tours that you would recommend during first week of November? Is there "stuff" to do on our own or do we need to take a ship's tour? Is there enough to see in Charlottestown without a tour?

MARAPRINCE

Hard to recommend anything without knowing what you like to see or do. As I said, most touristy type things will be shut down or too cold to really enjoy. Don't know what excursions your cruiseline is offering so not sure if they are worth taking. Charlottetown is a fair size city with lots of stuff to see and do if you're into historical type stuff or shopping.

Here is a listing of the tour companies http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/search/search.php3?thetype=tour&indexonly=yes&PHPSESSID=07d4f61d1c8dbe5bbe1dba4df907920d, most will have stopped operating by the end of September or October but might do personalized tours if you contact them before hand.

Here's some information specific to visiting Charlottetown that might come in handy if you just want to spend your day around the city http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/

MonaCD,

Thanks for your info. Most of the tours for many of the ports on Celebrity's website involve water sports. I cannot seriously believe they would be offered in late October/early November. We are thinking that we may receive a "revised" list of tours offered for our sailing. Kayaking and getting wet at that time of the year is just not all that appealing!

I wll check into the links you provided and see if anything sparks our interest. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

MARAPRINCE

Maraprince, I just checked out Celebrity's website to see what kind of things they offer. To be honest, there aren't going to be many tours offered other then what you can get through the cruise line.

I see that their last cruise in the Fall generally runs the last couple weeks of October. Chances are the leaves will still be changing colour at that time so if you like to just sit back and enjoy the view while getting a taste of the Island and learn something about PEI and it's history, I'd suggest the Panoramic Island Drive.

If you're really into Oysters, the Culinary Experience - Seafood 100 would be good, though I'm not sure how they could fill 3 hours. The Claddagh House is a very nice restaurant, have eaten there a few time myself.

The double decker bus tours or walking tours would be great to take if you want to learn a bit about PEI and it's history then have time to wander around the city, walk along the harbourfront boardwalk or shop.

I hate to say it, but it's true, if you really want to experience PEI at it's best I'd recommend coming between mid May and mid September. Having said that though, I myself generally travel in late September to October too.

Maraprince, I just checked out Celebrity's website to see what kind of things they offer. To be honest, there aren't going to be many tours offered other then what you can get through the cruise line.

I see that their last cruise in the Fall generally runs the last couple weeks of October. Chances are the leaves will still be changing colour at that time so if you like to just sit back and enjoy the view while getting a taste of the Island and learn something about PEI and it's history, I'd suggest the Panoramic Island Drive.

If you're really into Oysters, the Culinary Experience - Seafood 100 would be good, though I'm not sure how they could fill 3 hours. The Claddagh House is a very nice restaurant, have eaten there a few time myself.

The double decker bus tours or walking tours would be great to take if you want to learn a bit about PEI and it's history then have time to wander around the city, walk along the harbourfront boardwalk or shop.

I hate to say it, but it's true, if you really want to experience PEI at it's best I'd recommend coming between mid May and mid September. Having said that though, I myself generally travel in late September to October too.

MonaCD,

Our sailing out of NJ on 10/23/07 is the last of the 13-night Canada/N.England cruises. Celebrity is only doing 3 sailings with this itinerary and we are the last of the 3!

Sounds like our best option would be the Panoramic ship's tour. Do you know if we will get to see Pierce Rock on this tour since I imagine it will go along the coast line?

MARAPRINCE

Okay, I see that now, that will put you on PEI on Nov 1. There won't be much open but I still think the Panoramic tour is probably your best option for seeing more of the Island and learning more about it in general. Might make you want to come back in the summer to really enjoy it ;)

You won't get to see Perce Rock as it is actually on the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec. You will pass it on your way to and from Quebec City but I doubt you will pass by close enough to get a glimpse of it but I don't know.

Archived