Going on the Spirit

dizneycrazy

Hi Everyone,

Going on the Spirit on Sat.. How powerful are the hairdryers? I know this is a silly question but I have curly hair and if i dont have a powerful dryer...I will look like a big "poof" :eek:

Also..

I heard you can request an Iron on the spirit ? is that true?

Hi Everyone,

Going on the Spirit on Sat.. How powerful are the hairdryers? I know this is a silly question but I have curly hair and if i dont have a powerful dryer...I will look like a big "poof" :eek:

Also..

Can't say whether you can ask for an iron and get one or not.

I've read conflicting reports on that.

But the hair dryer is a wimpy one. It will dry your hair, but not style it.

Hi Everyone,

Also..

We saw a neighboring cabin order an iron and ironing board that was delivered on our Spirit cruise in May.

As already noted, the hair dryer "pushes" hot hairand is not very strong. My wife has very short hair and it barely got her hair dry.

After searching on this topic, you will see that most people recommend either a power converter (220 to 110 volt) or a hair dryer that has a switch for either 110 or 220.

Most hardware stores will sell power converters (Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace). You need a converter to convert 220 power to 110 power. Just ask someone in the electrical department....they will know what you mean. (the ship's plugs are 220 since she was built for the Asia market, US electric appliances run on 110)

Also, bring a "power strip" to give yourself additional plugs for other devices. (chargers, etc.)

Ok I dont need to sound like a idiot.. but I am going to need a power converter for all my stuff? And where would I get something like that?

Sorry I am alittle clueless on this kind of stuff..!! :D

You can also find them at the local AAA travel office or Radio Shack.

You don't want an adaptor, that just let's you plug into a 220 outlet. The only things you can use with an adaptor are items with a built-in power converter for 110/220 such as computer power cords and chargers for phones.

If you want to use a 110 appliance (like a 110 only hair dryer), you need a converter that will plug into the 220 outlet and let you plug your appliance into the converter.

Hi Everyone,

Also..

Just wanted to say that my family will be on the same cruise as you! Check out the roll call for that cruise, we're having a meet and greet on Sunday. Take care, Lisa :)

So all the outlets are 220???

I have the powerstrip ready to go, but didn't realize I need the converter as well.

No they are not. There are 110 volt receptacles too in each cabin next to the 220 volt receptacles. The problem is that the 110 volt receptacles are rated for only 500 watts. Most hair dryers are rated at 1500 watts, three times what the Spirit's 110 volt receptacles can handle, so there's a very good chance you'll trip the circuit breaker if you plug your 110 volt hair dryer in.

Two courses you could take, (1) buy just an adapter plug for dual 110 volt and 220 volt hair dryers, and (2) buy a converter to make 110 volt from 220 volt.

Since converters cost significantly more than adapters, it would be cheaper to buy an adapter if you already have a dual voltage hair dryer. It might even be cheaper to buy a dual voltage hair dryer and an adapter than buying a converter to use you 110 volt only hair dryer. So check out your local hardware stores to find out what's cheaper for you.

I just returned from the Spirit on Sunday. I can honestly say this is the worst hairdryer I have ever used in my life. I have shoulder length, thick hair and using it was a nightmare. Not only did it take a lifetime to dry but it actually seemed to change the texture of my hair. I'm not a girly girl but I wasn't happy with my hair for the entire week and mostly had it up in clips. I'd buy a dual-voltage model you can use with the 220 volts or buy the plug adapter kits. Don't bring your normal hair dryer and try to use it in the 1 110 outlet in the cabin. The voltage in the rooms will not support more than 500 watts (or you will blow out some of the elctrical circuits for you and surrounding cabins) which is much lower than most hair dryers.

Archived