Question about Military Rate at IC in Miami

flitter306

I spoke to someone at the IC and they indicated that so long as we show military ID we can get the rate since he was honorably discharged. So I asked what kind of military ID - did it have to be photo ID or could we bring the paperwork showing he was honorably discharged (which is what we use to get Carnival's military rate) and he didn't seem to have a straight answer.

I just wondered what others have used because I don't want to book and then find out we don't have the proper ID.

In my experience, when someone says "military rate" they mean either Active Duty only, or Active Duty and Retired (and in some cases, reserves while on active duty). Proper ID is a military ID card. I have never heard of anyone providing military discounts to someone who has served honorably and is no longer on active duty. Carnival is the first company that I have heard of that provides discounts to discharged vets.

While I obviously respect your service and thank you, I would be surprised if you received any discount.

Cheers,

As it turns out, I just bid on the room through priceline and got it $8 cheaper than the military rate.

My FI is actually the one that served and you're right, there aren't too many places that provide discounts to those who've been discharged. IC indicated that they would honor the discount if he had ID, but since he doesn't receive benefits from the military he no longer has ID.

And an interesting note that the gentleman at IC mentioned is that military personnel are the only ones who get to use their discount for personal use as well business use.

As it turns out, I just bid on the room through priceline and got it $8 cheaper than the military rate.

My FI is actually the one that served and you're right, there aren't too many places that provide discounts to those who've been discharged. IC indicated that they would honor the discount if he had ID, but since he doesn't receive benefits from the military he no longer has ID.

And an interesting note that the gentleman at IC mentioned is that military personnel are the only ones who get to use their discount for personal use as well business use.

Nope, that's not true. Just goes to show you that hotel workers know about as much as the people who work for the cruise lines! We had 4 rooms at IC Miami this past Easter and they were booked under my husband's government rate. It was for personal use and it was honored. We got the hotel for a steal at $107/night for Easter week. He just brought along his federal employee photo ID, but I don't even think they asked to see it. They're not offering a government rate at this hotel for April 18, though, so we booked the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Not as nice a hotel, but it'll do for one night.

Can I ask what your winning bid was and for what day? How many stars? Thanks!

I bid $99 for Aug 25th, 4* Deluxe in Miami - Downtown. Total cost with tax is about $120. Since we're doing a B2B cruise some friends of ours are joining us for the second cruise. I helped one of them book the IC with a $99 bid for Sep 1st and she got it as well.

I can't take all the credit here though. If you look down the page there's a post titled "Why the Intercontinetal Hotel?" or something to that effect. At the end of the thread there's another CCer who posted how he got the hotel, so I just did the same thing. I thought about maybe lowering the bid, but I figured since the room would typically cost over $200 I shouldn't risk it just to save $10 or $20. I really wanted to stay at the IC.

Archived