Canadian Entry Requirements (6 month Rule)

I asked this question on the Alaska board and then realized that I should have posted it here instead:

A friend of mine just booked a round trip cruise to Alaska out of VanCouver for the first week of August. Her husband's passport expires in September. Her TA told them it must be valid for six months after their return. He does not have time to get it renewed at this point. Does anyone know if he will have a problem entering Vancouver if his passport is only valid for another month? Any advice would be appreciated.

I asked this question on the Alaska board and then realized that I should have posted it here instead:

A friend of mine just booked a round trip cruise to Alaska out of VanCouver for the first week of August. Her husband's passport expires in September. Her TA told them it must be valid for six months after their return. He does not have time to get it renewed at this point. Does anyone know if he will have a problem entering Vancouver if his passport is only valid for another month? Any advice would be appreciated.

At this point passports are only required for air travel to and from Can and the US. They won't be a requirement for land crossings by car until Jan/08. If the six month rule is going to be a problem, fly to Seattle and drive to Vancouver. Use photo ID at the border.

The Passport Office website is www.ppt.gc.ca You will find a "contact us" link and you may receive an email response to your question. Bear in mind that, like the US, Canada is experiencing a backlog in passport offices so your response might not be immediate. There is also a phone number for calling from the US listed on the website.

Your friend's TA is incorrect. I just called Canada Border Services Agency and the 6 month rule does not apply to travel between USA and Canada, but does apply to any other country. As long as the passport is valid, there will no issue upon arrival into Vancouver.

I suggest verifying this info yourself also - their number is (506) 636-5064 or

(204) 983-3500 Press "0" to get a human!

A (US) passport is not required flying from the US into Canada. It is required to fly from Canada to the US, but I have never heard of the 6 month rule for Canada US, other countries/places in the world yes, but not Canada US.

A (US) passport is not required flying from the US into Canada. It is required to fly from Canada to the US, but I have never heard of the 6 month rule for Canada US, other countries/places in the world yes, but not Canada US.

Revised US travel requirements

MONTRÉAL, June 29, 2007 - Air Canada reminds air travelers that new document requirements for travel to and from the United States came into effect January 23, 2007, as per the United States' Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). All passengers including Canadian and U.S. citizens are required to present a valid passport.

This new regulation is a change from prior requirements. Effective January 23, 2007, driver licenses and other government-issued photo identification are no longer accepted as valid travel documentation for Canadian and U.S. citizens traveling by air between Canada and the United States. Alternatively, NEXUS cards are accepted by U.S. authorities when traveling by air from select Canadian airports to the United States.

For American citizens only, through September 30, 2007, due to longer-than-expected passport processing times in the United States, a U.S. government-issued photo identification (a proof of citizenship is recommended) and Department of State official proof of application for a U.S. passport will also be accepted for air travel between Canada and the United States.

Archived