Ncl Pearl Help!!!!

vafamily5

I am looking into booking a 9-day southern Caribbean cruise on "Pearl" in February 2009 for mine and hubby's anniversary. I am not too familiar with NCL but I do like the ports of call on this particular cruise I am looking at. If anyone can give me any info on which is the best deck to book balcony cabin that would be great. Also, what is all included in the price of the cruise. What do you have to pay extra for (besides alcoholic drinks and soda)? Are meals included, and if so, do you have to eat in selected places and times only? I am really really in need of much info since I have never cruised NCL.

....we sailed on the Pearl 9 day last February. Fabulous cruise, great ship, outstanding ports. Not sure where it goes this year, but I'll try to tackle some of your questions.

anyone can give me any info on which is the best deck to book balcony cabin that would be great.

>If you are an experienced cruiser who doesn't get seasick, this shouldn't matter a whole lot. Our favorite balconies are on the aft of the ship, but I'm not sure if you can get one of those. There is virtually no difference between a BA and a BD except location. Don't worry about what is above or below you on this ship since the B cabins are between passenger decks.

Also, what is all included in the price of the cruise. What do you have to pay extra for (besides alcoholic drinks and soda)? Are meals included, and if so, do you have to eat in selected places and times only?

>Freestyle is sometimes called "Fee"style because of the extra charges. As long as you are aware of the choices that you have that cost money, it's no big deal. We actually like it that way - to only pay for what we use. There at least 5 free dining venues from upscale and intimate to the ultimate in casual buffet. There are several alternative dining rooms that charge from 12.50 - 20.00 per person for an upscale menu, fine dining surroundings and they accept reservations where most of the free ones don't. If you're not a foodie or are not celebrating a special occasion, you may never miss the "pay" restaurants. Go ahead. Splurge. It's just the two of you and you'll make it special!

You'll also be charged $10 per day per person for automatic gratuities and a small gratuity for rooom service is appropriate. Soda drinks (pop for you Yankees), excursions, photos and any other ship board purchases are extra.

Freestyle means you can eat when you want, but dining early or late will help aviod the lines.

If you have never done Freestyle before, it's different. Sometimes it's hard for folks to connect with the crew or other passengers because they are not "forced" together at dinner. Just ask to be seated at a larger table and you'll meet some nice folks. If they are not nice, at least you don't have to eat with them the rest of the week! Mingle and participate and you'll meet nice folks. If you want to meet later for a cocktail or dinner or shuffleboard or whatever, that's cool, too!

After 13 NCL Freestyle cruises, we've kinda gotten the hang of it. Just go to have fun and it's amazing - YOU WILL!

MrTractor<-------doesn't think you should worry about having a good time...............

Here is how I sum up Freestyle Cruising:

The choice to dine when you want...no set dining times.

The choice to dine where you want....several different restaurants to choose from.

The choice to dine with who you want....no set table mates.

The choice to dine HOW you want. You can wear casual (polo shirt & Kahki pants) EVERY night in EVERY dining room....even on the optional formal night. OR you can dress up ANY night you want!

You don't have to leave you cabin on the last morning until you are called to disembark...sometimes as late as 10:00 a.m. or later. No more being herded like cattle into the public rooms to wait to disembark.

You are charged $10 per person per day for tips. No need to tip additional unless you want to.

Freestyle means your choice to be more relaxed on your vacation.

I LOVED THE PEARL!!!!! Totally would go again. Just take each cruise experience for a new adventure and try not to compare. There are good and bad things about all cruise lines and ships.

We were in a balcony room on deck 10 near the rear on the port side. It was wonderful. Woke up to view the port every morning and I find its the best area for sea sickness.

I ate every night in wonderful restaurants that I didnt pay for. Someone mentioned "fees". I did go to the steakhouse which has a fee and is definitely worth it. There are only 3 restaurants you pay for, the rest are free.

The Bliss Lounge - I was a little apprehensive about this place as it looked a bit like a bordello, but once I was on board, it was one of our favorite places to meet prior to going to dinner. We got a small back of popcorn there every day, not to mention a handful or two of peanuts on the way to dinner. It was never crowed in there and the bowling was fun. You cant take it seriously tough as when the ship moves, the ball goes all over the place. Its almost a fun challenge to see if you can offset the roll ball by the sway of the ship. Bowling has a fee.

Also, the theralossopy pool and the warm stone beds are to die for in the spa. $90 for the cruise and its so relaxing and fantastic. Inside the girls lockeroom there are 3 private lounge chairs staring at the ocean. There are ice baths and personal hotubs back there as well. All included in the fee for the 9 days.

The Atrium, another fantastic place to relax and enjoy live music, dancing, some movies during the day and for the kids...Wii games on the huge screen, which was fun for the whole family.

Loved the Italian Restaurant, reserve early in the am for the next night. Its hard to get in to. The only restaurant we didnt like was one of the main dining rooms because it was at the back of the ship and it bounced alot while we ate. The food was good though.

As far as eating times...we just found it much easier to reserve a dinner time early in the am for that night. Otherwise, you may have to eat late because the lines get long. The small buffet out on the terrace was a fantastic place to grab something to eat and enjoy the scenery. We would get a plate at the main buffet and take it out there for breakfast or lunch. Although there is a small buffet out there already.

There is plenty to eat and fun things to do on the Pearl that do not have a cost, but as with any ship....there are a few things that they charge you for (such as auto tipping, spa, etc). We just went on the Pearl in March on the 9 day. Loved it all.

When we were on the Pearl in Apr/May they had some nights that were 2 for 1 in the restaurants that charge a fee. :D We had to eat early which is when we normally go to dinner anyways. Not sure if they are still running this special. Cannot book until the day before at 7AM, deck 8 Mambos, but hubby walked a mile (with a smile :) ) every AM and made that one of his stops along the way. Several nights we ran down to the Blue Lagoon for some potato skins and chicken wings before we turned in for the night. We also had lunch there occasionally for fish and chips.:D Also since we had 5 in our group we did not get the opportunity to share tables with others in the dining room and missed the chance to meet other people. On our previous cruises we met many interesting ( and a few not so interesting) people.

Friends that had a AFT suite on the deck under the pool deck said they moved some chairs around over them each AM in the great Outdoors but the noice only lasted about 5 minutes. I try to avoid cabins under the pool deck just in case. :eek:

The Pearl is a beautiful ship with lots to do. I have no sense of direction and found deck 8 to be like a maze but keep in mind that the fish on the carpet are facing the front of the ship. :rolleyes:

Archived