Temporary Passport?

mdmomof7

Oh my! I posted a while ago on one of the passport threads about my daughter's trip to the Ukraine this Monday and the family that could not get their passports. After three trips to the Washington DC passport agency, numerous phone calls, including to their congressman and senators, they still do not have them. They have now been issued temporary passports. I am very concerned. Two of the 4 family members applied for renewals on Apr. 2. The other two applied for new passports. No one has anything. The latest debacle is that they finally had an appt. to get them yesterday at 8:30AM. They were not seen until 2PM. Then they were told their passports were in Arkansas. They live in MD. They were told they would need to pay $50 for new photos to make temporary passports. There was a huge crowd outside the passport agency and many news crews. The dad in this situation is a policeman, in uniform, he still was treated horribly. This has got to stop!! The crowd was increasingly frustrated and it is simply a ridiculous, unnecessary situation.

My concern is that I have no idea what a temporary passport is and white it looks like. I have to go to work now and didn't hear this story until last night. For their 8:30AM appt. yesterday, they weren't seen until 2PM, then they didn't leave until 5:30PM!!! I need to find out exactly what they have. There's nothing more that can be done now. I'm taking everyone to the airport at 12:30PM Monday.

What a crazy mess! I will be contacting all my reps and maybe even contacting my old boss who is now a congressman.

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

I have never heard of a temporary passport! Did you find out if a temporary passport can be used to travel overseas? Sorry your family is going through all this. When my daughter and I were waiting for ours for our trip to France back in June, I had an appointment at the passport office in Houston, but after hearing about fights breaking out and the police having to be called, i decided to chance that the passports would get here in time, which, thank God, they did! I'm not sure what to tell you, but it seems that before you head to the airport, you need to find out what documentation your family will need. Good luck!!

I heard a rumor that, until the government can get their act together to process the backlog, all you need to travel to the bahamas, canada, or mexico by plane is a receipt showing that you applied for a passport (along with your drivers license and/or birth certificate). I'm not sure if that would be the same for other destinations as well.

I was hoping someone on here might know about a temporary passport. My dd is fine, her passport won't expire until June 2008. (She heads to Mexico that same month but also needs her passport for our January 2008 trip. I don't want to send in her renewal until we return from that trip. Now I'm worried that the end of January to the end of May won't be enough time for a renewal! Wow!

For now, it's her travelling companions that have the problem and the temporary passport. I can't understand why their passports weren't processed by departure date at the least. That seems to be what people on this board are reporting -- they receive just in time delivery for their trip. At the least, this particular family should be given a full refund, especially for the photos ($50) for their temporary passports. What a mess!

I was hoping someone on here might know about a temporary passport. My dd is fine, her passport won't expire until June 2008. (She heads to Mexico that same month but also needs her passport for our January 2008 trip. I don't want to send in her renewal until we return from that trip. Now I'm worried that the end of January to the end of May won't be enough time for a renewal! Wow!

For now, it's her travelling companions that have the problem and the temporary passport. I can't understand why their passports weren't processed by departure date at the least. That seems to be what people on this board are reporting -- they receive just in time delivery for their trip. At the least, this particular family should be given a full refund, especially for the photos ($50) for their temporary passports. What a mess!

If you expedite her renewal at the end of January you should get it in plenty of time. Definitely worth the extra money to expedite, worrying about it, calling over and over, etc. is very stressful, believe me, I KNOW!

Our passports were delivered to us 2 days before our trip to France, but i had to keep calling and checking on the status of them, and finally, on that tuesday, they gave me tracking #'s, and we had them by 10am the next morning. Have you gone to the state dept. website and done research on temporary passports to see what they are? Here is the link, you might check on there and see if it says anything:Welcome to Travel.State.Gov Good luck! You said your family is going to Ukraine on Monday? Everyone will HAVE to have passports for an overseas trip, the proof of application won't work on that trip. Not sure what you should do at this point. Good luck!

Oh my! I posted a while ago on one of the passport threads about my daughter's trip to the Ukraine this Monday and the family that could not get their passports. After three trips to the Washington DC passport agency, numerous phone calls, including to their congressman and senators, they still do not have them. They have now been issued temporary passports. I am very concerned. Two of the 4 family members applied for renewals on Apr. 2. The other two applied for new passports. No one has anything. The latest debacle is that they finally had an appt. to get them yesterday at 8:30AM. They were not seen until 2PM. Then they were told their passports were in Arkansas. They live in MD. They were told they would need to pay $50 for new photos to make temporary passports. There was a huge crowd outside the passport agency and many news crews. The dad in this situation is a policeman, in uniform, he still was treated horribly. This has got to stop!! The crowd was increasingly frustrated and it is simply a ridiculous, unnecessary situation.

My concern is that I have no idea what a temporary passport is and white it looks like. I have to go to work now and didn't hear this story until last night. For their 8:30AM appt. yesterday, they weren't seen until 2PM, then they didn't leave until 5:30PM!!! I need to find out exactly what they have. There's nothing more that can be done now. I'm taking everyone to the airport at 12:30PM Monday.

What a crazy mess! I will be contacting all my reps and maybe even contacting my old boss who is now a congressman.

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

mdmomof7, I was wondering how things worked out for the family your daughter is traveling with. Did the temporary passports work? I have thought of them a couple of times today and yesterday ~ hopefully, no news is good news!

Archived