Formal Nights - Coral Princess NB

Meditrina

How formal are the formal nights on a Coral Princess Alaska cruise? We took a Caribbean cruise 2 years ago, and I took both a regular black dress, and an evening gown, and everyone was so dressed up, I ended up wearing the evening gown both nights. For Alaska, I was only going to take an evening gown, but from the posts I've read it seems like maybe the formal nights aren't quite as dressy on an Alaskan cruise? Any suggestions?

We were on the Island this summer northbound. I found that most of the women wore cocktail dresses. There were some in more business attire and some in long gowns. I think that everyone looked nice but not nearly as fancy as one might expect. I took a black cocktail dress and for the other night a flowey silk jacket (painted with watercolors) and silk pants and did not feel out of place. I brought really fun sparkly jewelery to finish the outfits. Most men were in suits. Have a great trip!

I just returned from the Sapphire NB a few weeks ago. Like you, from what I had read, I expected a more relaxed dress code at dinner, even on the formal nights. I was unexpectedly surprised. I did see jeans at dinner, but only once or twice. Regular nights, most men more slacks or kakhis with nice shirts, and most women wore casual skirts, capris, slacks, pantsuits, etc. Both formal nights, we saw everything from nice pantsuits, to cocktail dresses, to tuxes. A personal highlight for me was one couple where the man was wearing a black tux with white shirt and black tie, and the woman was wearing a white tux with black shirt and white tie --- very cute! :)

Personally, I can wear my cargo shorts and t-shirts the rest of my life, taking my kids to McDonalds. I was glad to see people dressed up, even moderately, for dinner on the ship. JMHO.

Not sure about the Coral, but on the Island northbound in June, formal nights were the 1st night at sea and Glacier Bay night.

My husband and I had decided to not do the formal nights becuase we didn't want to bring the clothes. The first one, we chose Balcony dining which was fabulous. When we walked around after, we saw people dressed in everything from jeans to evening ware. Most people were somewhere in between.

For the 2nd formal night, we decided at the last minute to just wear what we had and go. I had a dress and my husband wore slacks and a nice shirt. We were glad we didn't miss the meal because there were many people dressed just like us.

i just returned from the island princess and for our 2 formal nights i wore a pair of knit black pants (the travel pants) the kind of material that's kind of dressy but doesn't wrinkle. one night i wore a velvet black top with a gold sash and the other night a dressy print top with a shawl. i found people dressed from gowns to just slacks and tops. so i think anything but jeans would be ok.

Just returned from the NB Coral Princess trip and the women were in anything from nice pant suits to designer evening gowns and the men wore anything from Khaki's and a polo to tuxedos.

On the second formal night, when we went to the Captain's Circle cocktail party, the clientèle seemed more dressy. Perhaps it's because we are more used to wearing evening wear on the formal nights.

Archived