Diver dies when lightning strikes his tanks.

jetskier

They should make a better effort at accuracy. When have you even gone diving with an OXYGEN tank?

Typical press coverage. I've been a firefigher for 16 years now, and I think in nearly every artical I've read, they say that we wear oxygen tanks strapped to our backs. O2 + Fire = Bad! :o

I happened to be at Hollywood beach eating lunch when that storm hit. I could see no less than 3 diver down flags off the beach and none of them that I saw got out of the water during the storm. Saw some lightning strikes awfully close to shore too.

You have to wonder what goes through some people's heads to make them think they're safe in the water during a storm like that.

...... But what ding dong would go diving in bad weather and severe weather warning?? Especially if they didn't have too..... Nuts..... But thoughts/prayers are with the family.....

You are obviously not a diver or you wouldn't have made such a frickin idiotic statement. I doubt the weather was severe when they went out for the dive.Even so, bad storms and squalls can form fast and without warning in the tropics and if the storm started while they were diving, they had no choice but to come up at some point to get back on the boat. Furhtermore, divers dive in the rain, big deal. They

re going to get wet anyway. This was a freak accident and a very unfortunate one.

You are obviously not a diver or you wouldn't have made such a frickin idiotic statement. quote]

Wow. "Ding dong" may be harsh, but so is that ......

I'm a diver from Florida and so is wcdive. Maybe it's a sad reminder for all of us to not be so cavalier about the weather reports. True - storms do come up fast, but I know I get nervous on a bright sunny summer day if there is a forecast for severe thunderstorms - it's not "freak" .... lightening kills lots of people in Florida.

You are obviously not a diver or you wouldn't have made such a frickin idiotic statement. I doubt the weather was severe when they went out for the dive.Even so, bad storms and squalls can form fast and without warning in the tropics and if the storm started while they were diving, they had no choice but to come up at some point to get back on the boat. Furhtermore, divers dive in the rain, big deal. They

re going to get wet anyway. This was a freak accident and a very unfortunate one.

Wow..... YOUR statment is much harsher than my "ding dong" statement.... Maybe you should think twice next time before making such a statement. FYI, I am a diver and not a "friggin idiot" as you assume. And while storms do come while underwater sometimes, this particular day there had been severe storm warning all day... So this person "chose" to dive in this weather. Not smart in my opinion. Especially with the lightning. I feel for his family but it's a shame he made that decision. My comment was about the storm, not about getting wet.... But that is why we have the accidents section on scubaboard. Just for scenarios like this. To discuss and get info. on accidents that happen....

Hi all,

Unfortuately unless we were on the boat we won't know what advice/weather conditions were given to the divers or what knowledge they had of the conditions. It was a sad event and I know I'll pay attention to the weather better than I have in the past. I guess anytime something bad happens to someone that could happen to us we have to feel sorry for them and their family but hope that someone doesn't get hurt by understanding their conditions, showing something good can come out of a bad situtation.

Randall

Archived