Shore excursion questions

sogamusicman

OK- here's my first thread (Please be kind!!)

Mywife and I are not real beachy people and love to do things at our own pace. The ship is going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. How much is accessible at the dock in each place? For those who have just wandered, did you feel safe and what would you recommend? Thanks!!!!:)

It all depends on what you are looking for. At Grand Cayman the tender puts you out right in town. Lots of great shops. You will be safe exploring on your own. In Cozumel - I have not been there since hurricane Wilma a few years back - but, at that time, there were some shops at the dock and town was a short taxi ride away. I have always felt safe exploring Cozumel.

As noted previously - all the shops are right at the dock in Cayman. Same is true at Cozumel. Hurricane damage is pretty much fixed out in the public areas. Get back up in the city and its not so. We were there in Apr. Strongly suggest you consider doing the sting ray tour in Grand Cayman. Some folks may not like that but it is a fantasic experience. A leisurely tour of Cozumel via horse draw carriage may not be a bad thing either. We have done that several times and it is educational, relaxing a a bit romantic in its own right. Cost is about 30 to 35 dollars. Have fun - but don't go wandering off into the interior by your self more than a block or so.

I highly recommend the Stingray City tour as well. I'm terrified of water, can't swim but had a terrific time out in the water with the stingrays.

Both ports offer a wealth of shopping adventures.

Cozumel is among our favorite ports. Have been there many, many times and have never felt we were not safe even when we wandered two or three blocks off the main street.

You will find shop keepers on the back streets less aggressive than those out on the main shopping street and prices are usually lower when you get away from the main shopping area.

Have fun and congratulations on starting your first thread!

Dianne

Just like the OP stated,when in Cozumel we did alot of shopping.We went up about a block or two from town and i didn't feel really safe there so we went back.We did the carriage ride also and senor frogs...LOVED it!!!! Just pay attention to your surroundings you will be fine.Have a great cruise!!!!:D

Grand Cayman is gorgeous and I felt totally safe. I even took the bus by myself out to Grand Harbor to meet up with my hubby so no problems there!

Cozumel is packed with other cruisers shopping in the downtown and mall area. We walked up many of the side streets and away from the central shopping area and again felt very safe.

Just like the OP stated,when in Cozumel we did alot of shopping.We went up about a block or two from town and i didn't feel really safe there so we went back.We did the carriage ride also and senor frogs...LOVED it!!!! Just pay attention to your surroundings you will be fine.Have a great cruise!!!!:D

IMHO, you can get in far less trouble walking along the shopping area of Cozumel than spending a few hours in Senior Frogs.:D

Dianne

All the other folks have pretty much nailed it. Grand Cayman is gorgeous and everything is handy to the dock, where you'll arrive by tender.

If a tourist wants it, the shops in Grand Cayman have it. There are neat little tours of the island that stop off at the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory where you can graze to your hearts content on delicious samples of their decadent delicacy.

Cozumel is another potpourri of shops, restaurants and places to snag an adult beverage or two.

Both are great places to be lazy and just soak up the atmosphere.

So, if I were to book and pay in full for excursions. would carnival give me that money as a credit to use, if for weather reasons we end up going to another port all together. I just want to make sure that the money will be available to me so that I am able to book another excursion in the case of a storm. :confused:

So, if I were to book and pay in full for excursions. would carnival give me that money as a credit to use, if for weather reasons we end up going to another port all together. I just want to make sure that the money will be available to me so that I am able to book another excursion in the case of a storm. :confused:

If you pre-book excursions, any tours canceled by Carnival for whatever reason will appear as credits on your S&S account.

Archived