Triumph from Miami

CorkySue02

I was just wondering if it's easier to fly into Miami or

Ft. Lauderdale. We are going to fly in at least a day early so we are going to have to rent a car and get a hotel for the night. It looks a little cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale but i've never been to either.

Thanks for the help.....

Cori

I was just wondering if it's easier to fly into Miami or

Ft. Lauderdale. We are going to fly in at least a day early so we are going to have to rent a car and get a hotel for the night. It looks a little cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale but i've never been to either.

Thanks for the help.....

Cori

It's none of my business. However, (theres always a but or however after that statement) if your just flying into Lauderdale for the cheaper airfare. you must have gotten a great deal! Because, after you get there you have to rent a car then get a hotel room. You can kind of throw that good deal out the window right?

Don't get me wrong in Dec. for my cruise I am flying into Lauderdale but I am using free RT airfare.

Just seams your robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak.

It's none of my business. However, (theres always a but or however after that statement) if your just flying into Lauderdale for the cheaper airfare. you must have gotten a great deal! Because, after you get there you have to rent a car then get a hotel room. You can kind of throw that good deal out the window right?

Don't get me wrong in Dec. for my cruise I am flying into Lauderdale but I am using free RT airfare.

Just seams your robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak.

I totally disagree with this statement...

We fly all the way from New Mexico, so we HAVE to fly in a day early. With fares sometimes $80+ cheaper, we have flown into Ft Lauderdale several times. The hotel is going to be used whether we fly into Miami, or Ft Lauderdale, so that's a wash. If you take a cab from MIA to the port, it's $25 standard fee. But to get to a DT hotel from the airport, we have paid over $30 plus tip, depending on traffic. It's $45-50 from FLL.

So, even if it costs us an extra $30 each way? We've still saved $100 total.

Fly into FLL...

Just double checked the fares for our September flights. We paid $212 for RT into FLL.

Right now...flights into MIA are $294, flights to FLL are $223 today.

When I booked the flights originally...the fare into MIA was $306....BIG DIFFERENCE!

We are also considering flying into FLL instead of Miami for our January cruise. How far is it from the FLL area (beach) to the pier? We are flying in 2 days early because of the long flights out of Seattle but can't decide on which airport to use, should we stay in FLL or should we head closer to the pier - any suggestions?

We are also considering flying into FLL instead of Miami for our January cruise. How far is it from the FLL area (beach) to the pier? We are flying in 2 days early because of the long flights out of Seattle but can't decide on which airport to use, should we stay in FLL or should we head closer to the pier - any suggestions?

dst, it depends...

What do you want to do? you can email me at jdunde at hot mail dot com, if you'd like to have specific answers.:)

The terminals at MIA are usually a zoo, but once onboard things go pretty smoothly. FLL is a much smaller airport so the terminals are usually easier to negotiate. Security lines can be very long at both. FLL only has one runway and many times I have spent nearly an hour on the taxiway waiting for our turn to take off.

I book which ever is cheaper. If prices are the same or nearly the same I use the airport nearest the pier.

We would really like to unwind a bit and relax. I have been to both areas before so I think we would just find a nice hotel with a pool and maybe a spa and relax. The rest of my family flies in on Fri (day prior) from Boston so we would have them to deal with as well.

I will send an email, thanks so much

I've never had a bad experience flying in or out of FLL. In fact,I'm flying into FLL for a Triumph cruise out of Miami on Feb.9th (psyked!). We're flying into FLL,getting a free shuttle ride to our hotel (Ramada air and sea,thanks to info i got here) Paying 20.00 extra for the 2 of us to take the hotel shuttle to the Port of M.iami. No need for a rental car,and we paid $89.00 each way on Air Tran. Miami rates were almost $300.00 RT

WOW that is very interesting...I may have to look into the Ramada, there are almost 20 of us in our group so that would save a lot of money in the shuttle alone!

Have you been on the Triumph before?

well we are flying in early so we have to rent a car and get a hotel no matter what. So I was just wondering which airport is easier, i've heard Miami is really big and really crazy......

I look at airports the same way many look at cruise experiences. It's all in what you make it. I had to make the same choice as you regarding FLL vs Miami. In the end after reading travel times between FLL and Miami I decided it wasn't worth the savings. The peace of mind knowing the port was just a few minutes away won out over the money savings. Now as far as Miami airport we too heard lots of stories. I warned my husband who tends to dislike airport hassles. Miami airport for our June cruise this year was a piece of cake. Now keep in mind that I usually book early morning flights so the airport is usually "dead" so to speak. Curbside check in of our luggage and off to the security checkpoint in a matter of minutes. It was extremely easy. Flying into Miami was equally as easy. We arrived followed the baggage terminal signs and got there before the luggage had started on the belts. We grabbed ours quickly once it started coming out. 2 pieces that were brand new had been damaged so we filled out the claim form and headed right out the door to grab a cab. The easiest luggage retrieval we've had so far. We had gotten in around 2pm. We are flying into Miami again in 9 days for our next cruise. I wouldn't hesitate to fly in or out of Miami.

thanks for that! I guess It will just depend on the prices we find and theflight times. I'm getting married on our cruise and I will have a lot of stuff that CAN NOT get lost! So i want to make sure our flight is a non stop......

SUE: Congrats on the wedding, great way to get married :)

Either way both airports are nice. I also have never had an issue with Miami airport. It is big but definately easy enough to get around. I would compare Miami airport to say JFK or Chicago....

thanks for that! I guess It will just depend on the prices we find and theflight times. I'm getting married on our cruise and I will have a lot of stuff that CAN NOT get lost! So i want to make sure our flight is a non stop......

Hi CorkySue.....

I see you are from Michigan....I booked a non-stop out of Metro into Miami for April of next year at a pretty good rate thru American. Not sure where you are flying from, but I would think that non-stop is top priority so your wedding stuff doesn't get lost and in Miami you would be so much closer to the ship with all your "STUFF"

We come from Portland, OR and fly a red-eye each time. We have done both MIA & FLL and even with the transportaion it is still cheaper for us to fly to FLL. (Plus MIA airport is horrible to fly out of last year we stood in line for 2 hours to check into our flight) (My son was almost 2 1/2 then too not fun)

jlbl: its nice to see another PNW person who understands the hassles of flying to Miami/FLL. I know that some people think after transportation and stuff its all the same but if you have to pay for transportation at either airport then that is a wash.

We are sailing in Jan and the rates are 85.00 less per person.....which is a limo ride :) We may try a redeye this time; who do you fly redeye on?

I really don't know what i am doing yet....just weighing my options so to speak. LIke i said before we are renting a car and getting a hotel no matter what so I guess the better deal is going to be the winner...

Archived