Questions for those who have had hurricane interupt trip

DMRick

We are going on the Crown Sept 9 out of NYC. We have bus transport and insurance through the bus. I'd like to know abotu a couple of scenerio's:

1) our bus cancels, because of a pending storn and they don't want to be caught in NYC. If the insurance is through the bus, and the cruise is through insurance, will insurance pay, if the bus won't go..even though the bus isn't under their insurance?

2) OK, the bus gets us there..but the cruise line says no go..can't get out of NYC. Then what..our bus has high tailied it out of there, and we are stuck in the city. Does our insurance pay for a room for the night and transport back home, if the ship doesn't sail? And if our ship says it will sale a day late..who pays for the hotel that night, and do we then have to get on the ship a day late..or can we take a train back home, and forget about the ship..who the heck wants to be on the sea, with a pending hurricane anyway?

Any other thoughts or scenes I haven't thought of? If the ship cancels..has anyone had the whole trip cancelled? Part of a trip..and if part, do you get some sort of credit for the nights you didn't sail?

I will try to help a little,

1. Not sure about the bus because we have never experienced that, I'm sure some can help though. The only thing I would say is that if you have purchased travel insurance through the cruiseline, it should cover you transportation too, you may not have had to purchase any through the bus company. Maybe some can shed some light on this. But if the ship is going and your transportation is not, they you are expected to make the ship, I am almost certain the the insurance from the bus will not reimburse you for the cost of the cruise.

2. If you have travel insurance and the ship is late leaving, the insurance will pay for your hotel room and incendentals incurred. Make sure that you keep your receipts as proof. Not sure if it would pay for a train back home or not. We were stuck in Florida in 2004 with a hurricane and we had to extend our rental car because of the storm and the insurance would not pay for it and they said that it was not a necessity (but they did pay for all our lodging).

Make sure that if something does happen and you ship is delayed, that you keep in constant contact with the cruiseline for updates. Some, if not most times, they will let you cancel in full if the ship will be delayed. If you choose to go anyways, you will usually receive an onboard credit for the days missed (not the value of the days missed) of some sort. But it is usually up to the descretion of the cruiseline. Technically they do not have to give you anything. If the sailing gets totally cancelled, you will get a full refund and usually a credit to a future cruise and some sort of compensation for expenses to return home, as it will usually not be at the time that you had scheduled to return home.

I very long-winded answer, but hope it helps somewhat.

We are going on the Crown Sept 9 out of NYC. We have bus transport and insurance through the bus. I'd like to know abotu a couple of scenerio's:

1) our bus cancels, because of a pending storn and they don't want to be caught in NYC. If the insurance is through the bus, and the cruise is through insurance, will insurance pay, if the bus won't go..even though the bus isn't under their insurance?

2) OK, the bus gets us there..but the cruise line says no go..can't get out of NYC. Then what..our bus has high tailied it out of there, and we are stuck in the city. Does our insurance pay for a room for the night and transport back home, if the ship doesn't sail? And if our ship says it will sale a day late..who pays for the hotel that night, and do we then have to get on the ship a day late..or can we take a train back home, and forget about the ship..who the heck wants to be on the sea, with a pending hurricane anyway?

Any other thoughts or scenes I haven't thought of? If the ship cancels..has anyone had the whole trip cancelled? Part of a trip..and if part, do you get some sort of credit for the nights you didn't sail?

Ok, Im confused about your post. Are you talking about taking a cruise out of NYC and worried about a hurricane in the carribean or Florida? Cruises won't stop going out of NYC, they just divert the ship and go to other ports. There are many types of trip insurance polocies to look into. We live in Florida and we took a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. At sea hurricane Wilam was then a cat 5. The ship went to another port instead of the scheduled Cayman Islands and we were fine. Got back just in time to board up and get slammed by her and happy it was no longer a Cat 5 but got a lot of good damage anyway.

I would recommend calling your insurance company's and ask..they are the experts...You will receive many different responses here (many personal opinions). No one can really answer you without information on the policy,company, exclusions etc.

Usually, the cruise lines insurance only covers the transportation that you purchased through them. When combining air/ train/ bus, not purchased from the cruise line, I suggest purchasing insurance from an outside insurance company that would cover everything involved in your trip plans. An "umbrella" plan as I call it. As lvtotrvl1 stated, you probably should call the insurance providers that you have now paid for the insurance.They can tell you what they WILL and WON"T cover at this point.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the answers. I was hoping someone who had had this happen to them out of NYC would have some answers. We are leaving NYC to go to Bermuda. We paid the $2 insurance for the bus, to the bus, although we will have regular insurance (through insuremytrip), because it covers canceling for any reason. I was more curious about the ship delaying the cruise, as I had heard cruises out of NYC had been delayed.

Is that right, as someone mentioned above, that even if the ship leaves a couple days late, they really don't have to give any sort of refund for those days?

Archived