Water Taxi to Atlantis

We are seriously considering taking a water taxi to Paradise island since we will be traveling with 2 children (6 & 3). I have noticed on the Port of Call board that these are sometimes seemilngly overloaded so now we have a delimma...not comfortable about being in the taxi w/o a carseat and now the water taxi is making me nervous. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on which might be better/safer for the kids.

We are seriously considering taking a water taxi to Paradise island since we will be traveling with 2 children (6 & 3). I have noticed on the Port of Call board that these are sometimes seemilngly overloaded so now we have a delimma...not comfortable about being in the taxi w/o a carseat and now the water taxi is making me nervous. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on which might be better/safer for the kids.

I personally would probably choose the water taxi, even if it is crowded. I'm 25 and was scared for my life in a taxi van driving (no, more like careening) through Nassau over to Atlantis, so I could imagine not wanting to subject children to that!

We had taken the water taxis to Atlantis on our cruise last year.Personaly I dont think it was very safe.When we went to board you had to step up on an old rickety plywood steps with nails sticking out.The bottom part was full so we had to go up top.And when I say full I mean it was overloaded.Im not trying to scare anyone but this is my personal opinion.

Atlantis was fabulous, well worth the trip but next time I will find another way to get to it.

Keep in mind too, that if you take a water taxi and want to go to Atlantis, there is a bit of a walk after you get off. Might be a factor if you have little ones. I agree the land taxis are freightening but they do drop you right at the front door.

If you have kids do not use the water taxi. The way they packed us on the water taxi, my wife and I found out what it felt like refugees fleeing from Cuba. And the funny part of it all, they expect a tip when get off. I will definately do a land cab next time.

Do NOT use those water taxis. They are awful. A couple years ago we decided it would be fun to take the scenic route, but we were the first ones on and though they said it would leave at a specific time, they did not leave until the rickety boat was absolutely overflowing with people. We waited at LEAST a half-hour. Then as the boat started, a huge puff of smoke went up and we were all gagging. Once we were on our way, it was a nice ride and the scenery is beautiful but sooo not worth it when a real taxi is so much easier. Plus the water taxis pull up to a dock and you have to walk a bit to get to the hotel. The land taxis take you right to the door. We had bought round-trip tickets on the water taxi but just threw out the 2nd one and took a cab back.

Water taxi is $6.00 round trip. You can purchase one way if you like or think you will take a cab back. We enjoy the water taxi even though about everything everyone has said is true. We have never had to wait very long for it to load up but they do pack you in. A real adventure!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Nassau last week on the Mariner and we took a water taxi ($3)pp one way to Atlantis. Like others that have posted, we were the first ones to arrive at the water taxi and had to wait until they completely filled up the taxi. It was an old boat, I even saw a roach on the floor of the boat. Once the water taxi docks near Atlantis it is a long walk to Atlantis. It was really really hot and I'm sure I would have not minded the walk on a non-summer day....but it was too long and too hot for my taste.

We decided to take a land taxi back to the ship. He drove just fine and I did not feel scared at all. Then again, I'm from Los Angeles so I guess I'm just used to "crazy drivers."

Archived