It's done!

sogamusicman

Well, I bit the bullet today and paid for our first cruise. :) :) :) :) :) We'll be on the Inspiration on November 19. My wife isn't as excited as I am yet, but somebody needs to stay under control! We're gonna stay at the Doubletree in Tampa the night before and shuttle over. Can anyone help with what to expect when we get back concerning a shuttle? Also, I think we're gonna do our own thing in each port - Their shore excursions seem expensive and not real interesting to us. Any suggestions will be appreciated! BTW, thanks for all of you who post - Many of you are the reason we finally took the plunge..........

Well, I bit the bullet today and paid for our first cruise. We'll be on the Inspiration on November 19. My wife isn't as excited as I am yet, but somebody needs to stay under control! We're gonna stay at the Doubletree in Tampa the night before and shuttle over. Can anyone help with what to expect when we get back concerning a shuttle? Also, I think we're gonna do our own thing in each port - Their shore excursions seem expensive and not real interesting to us. Any suggestions will be appreciated! BTW, thanks for all of you who post - Many of you are the reason we finally took the plunge..........
Good for you!:p She'll be thrilled.. Just wait..;)

We opted for a taxi to the airport... or you can grab one to the hotel! Not that expensive, and they are always available outside the terminal..:) If you have a Porter, they'll 'hail' one for you..

Ship's excursions may be the right choice for a 'newbie', but go to the 'Port-of-Call' forums, and you'll find tons of suggestions!:cool:

We were on the Inspiration in April and had a really good time. We thought she was in pretty good shape...but I believe your cruise takes place after she goes into dry dock to get all spiffed up. She'll have a few water area things added and a miniature golf course, too. (At least that's what I heard...)

I agree with stlrboo....it's about a $20 taxi ride from the pier to the airport.

Excursions...all I can do is tell you what we did the number of times we've been to these two ports.

Cozumel is great to just walk around and shop in...lots of good restaurants. Party time places too like Carlos and Charlies if you like that sort of thing. We've been to Chankanaab (sp?) park where the beach was really nice. It didn't gradually go into the water though...there's like a ledge. One good thing about that is there some pretty nice snorkeling right near the edge of the water. (We did this on our very first visit by just taking a cab to the park. It wasn't offered as an excursion then.) We've also been on the Cozumel Highlights and Shopping Tour. One of the things I've tried to do the first time we've visited a new place is to take a tour that gives us more of an overview of things. However, we actually took this tour the second time we were there. (By the way...there is a great restaurant by Los Cinco Soles in town - Los Cinco Soles should be indicated on the shopping map Carnival gives you. The restaurant has some really great chicken tacos.)

In Grand Cayman we've been to Hell and the Turtle Farm (Grand Cayman Island Tour). Hell is a tourist trap - but still kind of fun. Our friends from church got a kick out of getting a post card from Hell. We had to go back again the next time we were there because some of my husbands co-workers wanted post cards sent to them, too. If you have any interest in rocks - it's a pretty interesting rock formation, too. At the turtle farm you can see the area where they nurse back to health the sea turtles. You'd have an opportunity to hold one, too, if you so desired. The new facility is pretty nice, though not as much is on display as it was in the older facility. Something about the people always trying to handle the baby turtles. On this tour you also stop at the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory Store...where you can sample all different flavors of really good rum cake. (It helps if you like rum...but I even enjoyed the chocolate.) But our favorite was StringRay City and Island Tour. Swimming with the Stingrays was an experience we won't ever forget. The water was sea foam green (a color I doubted existed in nature until we saw the water there). The stingrays are so graceful. It was just an awesome experience.

My wife isn't as excited as I am yet, but somebody needs to stay under control!

Why isn't she excited? You work hard and you play hard, youre not going to take this money with you into the aftelife. So go and have fun. :D

Fred

Congrats and welcome! Remind your wife that on a cruise, unlike many vacations (especially if you have kids) that she won't have any work to do. The room stewards will make your beds and tidy up your room. Your food will be cooked (and served if you eat in the one of the more formal dining areas and there will be NO dishes to do. In addition to that, think of the different places you will go, new cultures to learn about, and new things to see.

My husband spent 9 years in the U. S. Coast Guard, much of that time on boats. He swore he'd never set foot on another ship again and now loves cruising.

Why isn't she excited? You work hard and you play hard, youre not going to take this money with you into the after life. So go and have fun. :D

Fred

Wow Fred..I knew there was a reason I liked you! Now I know why I'm running up the charge cards...LoL.

We'll be leaving on the Inspiration in less than 12 days!!!!! Can't say much about transfers. (won't be using those).

You didn't mention WHICH ports of call you'll be doing..but I'll ASS-U-ME you mean Cozumel and Grand Cayman! This will be our first time doing Cozumel but I can give you advice regarding GC! If you bring your own snorkel gear, hook a right when you come off the dock. Paradise restaurant has a neat little cove where you can snorkel with the Tarpon..free of charge. We rented lockers...$5 I believe. Worth the fee and it made me feel less guilty about using their facility. And they give EXCELLENT advice! Free for the taking! You can also rent gear and life jackets for a very nominal fee.

We also privately booked an excursion with captain Marvin. Rates were phenom. and he (and his extended family) are extremely professional. He's been doing stingray city tours since the spot was discovered! The man is a legend and approaching his 100th birthday rapidly! (do a google search). You walk about two blocks to the left when you come off the dock. A van picks you up and takes you to the boat launch.

I hope this helps. Have a great cruise. Just a heads up..I'm the vacation planner in this household and was dead set against a cruise. Didn't think it would be "our thing." But DH insisted for our 10 year anniversary and I FELL IN LOVE. What a way to vacation! Your wife will be in the same boat. No pun intended. Its one of those style of vacations where you have to really experience it to believe it!

My wife isn't as excited as I am yet, but somebody needs to stay under control!...... BTW, thanks for all of you who post - Many of you are the reason we finally took the plunge..........

Yeah... she's calm and collected now. Just wait till you guys get back and she dominates the 'puter searching for just the right itinerary for the NEXT cruise.

Cruisin' is kinda like eating 'tater chips, once you start you can't stop!!

Now all the planning starts, info gathering and occasional head scratching. You'll have a wonderful time putting it all together and an even better time once you're on board.

Congrats!!!

Why isn't she excited? You work hard and you play hard, youre not going to take this money with you into the aftelife. So go and have fun. :D

Fred

Hey Fred

I'm take'n mine with me, wife is go'in to write a check and put it in my coffin. :D

Yeah... she's calm and collected now. Just wait till you guys get back and she dominates the 'puter searching for just the right itinerary for the NEXT cruise.

Cruisin' is kinda like eating 'tater chips, once you start you can't stop!!

LOL! That's a good way to put it! She just doesn't know any better yet, but I bet she catches on pretty fast. ;)

Archived