POAL ports-suggestions for place to eat

shadowmadre

We will be on the POAL cruise and will be at the following port-Nawiliwili, Kauai; Hilo(Big Island);Kona(Big Island); and Kahului, Maui. What are suggestions for not to miss places to eat! Especially local favorites. We like the casual places since we'll be renting a car and going to the beaches and stopping on the way to get a bite.

In Kona you might want to try Bubba Gumps, which is downtown Kona only about 4 blocks or so from the pier. There is also a great shave ice place about a block from the pier that I like going to called Scandinavian Shaved Ice. There is a huge ice cream cone out front. Locals like going to this place called Big Island Grill, the food is good and the portions are HUGE. Oh, across the street from the pier and up a block or so is the Kona Brewing Co and locals and tourists both like that place.

Big Island Grill is closed on Sundays but I think you'll probably be in Kona on a Thursday.

Emi

Thank you for this info. I'm going to print this info so that I can remember.

After the Kona Bay Blast we'll be back by 2pm (I think) so it'll give us opportunity to get some shaved ice.

In Kona you might want to try Bubba Gumps, which is downtown Kona only about 4 blocks or so from the pier. There is also a great shave ice place about a block from the pier that I like going to called Scandinavian Shaved Ice. There is a huge ice cream cone out front. Locals like going to this place called Big Island Grill, the food is good and the portions are HUGE. Oh, across the street from the pier and up a block or so is the Kona Brewing Co and locals and tourists both like that place.

Big Island Grill is closed on Sundays but I think you'll probably be in Kona on a Thursday.

Emi

Thank you for this info. I'm going to print this info so that I can remember.

After the Kona Bay Blast we'll be back by 2pm (I think) so it'll give us opportunity to get some shaved ice.

Aloha. Yes, you should definitely get some shave ice at Scandinavian Shaved Ice. This is just a bit of an oddity. Although in this case, the place is called Scandinavian Shaved Ice, it's actually shave--no "d"--in normal usage. Why this place uses "Shaved" I don't know, but remember to ask for "shave ice" wherever you order.:D

beachchick

In Kona you might want to try Bubba Gumps, which is downtown Kona only about 4 blocks or so from the pier.

Ditto. We arrived before the lunch crowd and were able to get a table on the patio right next to the water. There's a little cove, and a sea turtle was swimming around in it when we were there. It wasn't a cheap lunch, but it was very memorable.

We will be on the POAL cruise and will be at the following port-Nawiliwili, Kauai; Hilo(Big Island);Kona(Big Island); and Kahului, Maui. What are suggestions for not to miss places to eat! Especially local favorites. We like the casual places since we'll be renting a car and going to the beaches and stopping on the way to get a bite.

Duke's in Kauai, 10 minute walk from the ship, next to the Marriott.

The Legend Lives on at Duke's Kauai

"Surf's up" on the east side of Kauai with Duke's Kauai, the popular open-air restaurant dedicated to surfing legend Duke Kahanamoku.Located right on the sands of Kalapaki Beach in front of the Kauai Marriott Resort, it is a reminder of an earlier, more romantic period in Hawaiian history.

TSR_DK_last1_250h.jpg

TSR_DU_053_250v.jpg

http://www.dukeskauai.com/

http://www.tsrestaurants.net/menus/images/dk/dinner.pdf

Archived