A Late Carnival Triumph Review

chowychow

Sorry it took us so long to post this...

---

Date: May 12-19, 2007

Ship: Carnival Triumph

Ports: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica

Cabin: 2322 - Oceanview

Occasion: Late honeymoon

Ages: 21 & 20

Experience: One past guest, one newbie :-)

What Not To Miss:

- Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. Crystal clear water, hammocks, and walking trails absolutely won us over. On our walks, we saw many iguanas and small lizards, along with flamingos and pelicans. Snorkeling is great there, but not for the weak. You must climb down a short, rocky hill to get to the water.

- Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. Don't book it through Carnival if you want to save some money. All of the beaches are public, so you can jump in wherever! (Just ask to use the chairs if you want...) Taking the bus is really simple and cheap if you want a ride to the area where Carnival's Beach Break takes place.

What You Can Miss:

- Jamaica in general... unless you book a shore excursion. We tried walking around, but we were harrassed by taxi drivers, homeless people, and hair braiders. We were back on the ship in about half an hour.

- Adult magic show. It was very short, and not very entertaining.

- Porters. As long as you pack light, it is easier to carry your own luggage on to the ship. Plus, you will be able to unpack and dress for dinner while everyone else is still waiting for their luggage.

- Travel talks. They re-air on your stateroom TV later in the day, so you can attend other activities that run at the same time.

Impressions, Warnings, and Advice:

- We loved the Triumph. The ship was very clean, and the staff was very helpful. The cruise director, Paul, did a great job leading shows. We found activities like the Newlywed/Not So Newlywed Show, the hairy chest contest, and the cornhole tournament to be very well organized. A lot of fun!

- Don't book an early flight home!! Carnival recommends booking no earlier than 1:00pm, but we almost missed our 2:30PM flight back to Ohio. We had to run for it! We chose regular debarkation, and our tags were NOT the last ones called. Quite a few people were probably late for their flights.

- We enjoyed the late dinner seating (8:30PM). We never had to rush back after visiting ports so we had plenty of time to shower, get ready, and/or nap. We were at a table with other couples in their 20s, and we really enjoyed their company.

- Days at sea are great! There were just the right number of days at sea. Those days were relaxing by day and fun by night. It was easier to enjoy ourselves in the evening when we weren't tired from walking around the ports.

- Wear lots of sunscreen! Sara realized SPF 30 was no match to the hot Carribbean sun!

- Having a stateroom on Main Deck was nice and quiet. We never heard our neighbors aside from an occasional toilet flush in the morning when we were getting ready for the day. Also, during our one choppy day at sea, we felt the rocking a lot less down there.

We have many pictures and lots of information. If you need to know anything, just ask!

P.S. We enjoyed meeting fellow Cruise Critic members!!

Hey Glad you had such a good time! We are taking the Triumph feb 23rd to Half Moon Cay, St. thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk and we are very excited! I've never been on the Triumph and it's good to know it's a nice ship!

Cori

We are on the Triumph Nov 10th....

We have cruised on Carnival 4 times previous. The Valor, the Holiday (x 2), and the Celebration.

I never book the excursions with the ship, but this time I think I am going to book a Cabana at Half Moon Cay.

It looks great, and I think would be worth it.

Hey Glad you had such a good time! We are taking the Triumph feb 23rd to Half Moon Cay, St. thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk and we are very excited! I've never been on the Triumph and it's good to know it's a nice ship!

Cori

We are on the Triumph on Feb. 23rd as well. Join us on the Roll Call! There is quite a group starting to form. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=558870

can you post a link to some pics, we will be on here in dec and we were hopping to check out some pics... glad you have a great time. what other ship had the crusier been on? thanks

Here is a link to our pictures. (Sorry, but a few might be out of order in the beginning.) Enjoy!

Previously, Kevin sailed on the Paradise... back when it was still smoke-free.

-Kevin and Sara

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you had a good time! Could you tell me a bit about the shows on board? I'm going with a large group that ranges in age from 5 to 72, so would like to know what might be appropriate before we go. Thanks for any info.

The photos were absolutely beautiful. I know you had a wonderful honeymoon. My daughter is talking about having her wedding on a cruise ship next year. We will definitely have to look at the Triump. Thanks so much for sharing your photos.

Patattack

Have been on 2 cruises and have 3 cruises booked.

I honestly don't think I want to know :eek:

I didn't know what the "cornhole" game was until I stumbled into it on the Victory. It looked like lots of fun! They use something like a bean bag probably with CORN in it, and toss it into a wooden board gadget that had a HOLE cut into it. There was a doubles tournament played on sea days.

Archived