How would you feel about it...

kpatter

[quote name='Kurbanfan']Sure it was......if I would not have posted it......I would not have been reminded to check the ice chest for leaks:D

Again thanks Jess:)[/quote]

Well Kurbanfan's got ya there Dan. :p

Even though this is JAPT.

[quote name='Wennfred']I think you forgot to mention Condoms, now where can we hide those :D

Fred[/quote]

Why smuggle those? They're provided in the amenity basket...grape, cherry and salt flavor.:cool:

[QUOTE]Even though this is JAPT.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[B]Haven't you ever taken a candy bar into the movie theater[/B]- Yes, and popcorn, sodas, and water also. Who can afford to pay nearly 25$ to get into a movie, *3 people in family* and afford to buy snacks at 12$ for a lg popcorn and soda.

[B]taken the pen at the bank-[/B] Yes, but I always say neat pen, and they say to take it if I want it. I am a pen-o-cleptic.

[B]they forgot to charge you for something at the grocery store-[/B] Never had that happen unless it was self check out, then it was something so small that it did not matter anyway. by that, I mean less than 1$ for the item.

[B]you were speeding and the cop let you go[/B] WHAT, who gets off. Been pulled over twice tickets both times. Even though I was throwing up and only a block from my house, still got a ticket for going over by 5 mph.

Dan40, what IF a beer on Carnival costs $12, or a rum and coke $15? Then would you say that?
My point in all this is simply, that if alcohol prices weren't so steep, MUCH less smuggling would take place.

[quote name='kpatter']Dan40, what IF a beer on Carnival costs $12, or a rum and coke $15? Then would you say that?
My point in all this is simply, that if alcohol prices weren't so steep, MUCH less smuggling would take place.[/quote]
If they would allow a 1 bottle to the room purchase,I would not smuggle.I would even pay double for that 1 bottle.Instead of a corkage fee, how about a unscrewage fee?:D

[quote name='kpatter']Dan40, what IF a beer on Carnival costs $12, or a rum and coke $15? Then would you say that?
My point in all this is simply, that if alcohol prices weren't so steep, MUCH less smuggling would take place.[/quote]

First it does not cost that much.
Second CCL's prices are very near and often less than moderate restaurants here and in most areas of the US. Their prices are definitely LOWER than higher priced restaurants anywhere.
Third, knowing in advance the prices and rules, booking the cruise says I agree to adhere to those rules. My word and personal sense of honor is worth MUCH more that the few extra pennies spent.

Can I beat Carnival's prices at a corner dive? Sure, but if the corner dive was as nice as any cruise ship, it would no longer be a corner dive or priced like one.

I could by a used Geo for less than I paid for my new "Testosteroni", but I didn't.

Dan

I agree. The fancy hotels and bars are more expensive. And if I were at Disney, i would expect to pay nearly 10$ for a mixed drink. Considering they charge almost 5$ for just a beer in a glass.

Someone mentioned Sam Adams. At food and wine festival a few year ago was the first time I had tasted Sam Adams, and I must admit that it is a much better beer than Bud. But you also pay for what you get. It is more expensive to start with.

I think I paid 6.50 for a mudslide on Carnival. that was the cost of the welcome aboard drink also. the expensive ones are the ones that come in the special cups. Like the Monkey. I think it was 15.00. But it was worth it. I don't usually drink Beer unless it is really good beer. normally what they have on board is Miller, and bud, and natural, so I don't do those, so I have not idea how much they cost.

[quote name='dan40']
CCL's prices are very near and often less than moderate restaurants here and in most areas of the US. Their prices are definitely LOWER than higher priced restaurants anywhere.

Can I beat Carnival's prices at a corner dive? Sure, but if the corner dive was as nice as any cruise ship, it would no longer be a corner dive or priced like one.

Dan[/quote]

Maybe where you live, but as I said, not here. Go to [URL="http://www.gardunosrestaurants.com"]www.gardunosrestaurants.com[/URL] . They have 9 rest. across the state and a huge one in Vegas. Indoor water fountains, live strolling Mariachi band, etc... It's considered very upscale. On their website is their Happy Hour menu. Regular prices are $1 more. The margarita is so big you have to hold it with 2 hands, and they will only serve you 2 of them.

The prices I quoted before WERE average, NOT the corner dive. At the corner dive we pay $2 for 12oz. $2.25 for 16oz. $3 for mixed drink, $3.75 for call drink. Also, there is a live band every night except Mon., and never any cover charge - and yes, the bands are good!

Our group really is used to paying MUCH less for alcohol.

Cheers!

[quote name='benicehavefun']Maybe where you live, but as I said, not here.....It's considered very upscale. [/quote]

That probably is considered "upsacale"....for NM:rolleyes:

ETA....yes, I can say that - I've lived there twice.

[quote name='benicehavefun']

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Then I think you are very lucky there in NM.
Everywhere else I've traveled to at this point in my life (in this country) the drinks were at least what CCL charges. The only place I've been to where they were cheaper was Mexico.
[B]
*making mental note to travel to NM to drink*[/B]

If you think CCL is expensive in regard to drinks, don't cruise Celebrity. $12 for a martini.

[quote name='benicehavefun']Maybe where you live, but as I said, not here. Go to [URL="http://www.gardunosrestaurants.com"]www.gardunosrestaurants.com[/URL] . They have 9 rest. across the state and a huge one in Vegas. Indoor water fountains, live strolling Mariachi band, etc... It's considered very upscale. On their website is their Happy Hour menu. Regular prices are $1 more. The margarita is so big you have to hold it with 2 hands, and they will only serve you 2 of them.

The prices I quoted before WERE average, NOT the corner dive. At the corner dive we pay $2 for 12oz. $2.25 for 16oz. $3 for mixed drink, $3.75 for call drink. Also, there is a live band every night except Mon., and never any cover charge - and yes, the bands are good!

Cheers![/quote]

OK I looked at the Mexican Restaurant prices.
You're talking one place [or chain] and yes I can find some places around here that are not bad and are cheaper than Carnival. I don't remember any of them being on a cruise ship tho...............
Happy Hour Special Tecate $1.99 [$2.99 reg price?] for a can of mule pee, Hoo Haa how many can I get.....................
$4.99 margs, so $5.99 regular. Thats maybe a buck below Carnival and no cruise ship underneath. You want me to even consider breaking my word for a buck?????????????????
Go to a Hyatt or a Hilton in NM, hell even a Holiday Inn and you probably won't find a $7.00 Rita'
Your whole point is made on pennies.........................

I usually tip a buck in cash on top of the drink chit on a ship. Also will tip the bartender that shows professionalism $5 or $10 with the first drink. The rest of the cruise, my service is faster than yours and often a free drink appears in front of me. Now that's the way to steal! ferget smugglin'.

Dan
Dan

[quote name='dan40']First it does not cost that much.
Second CCL's prices are very near and often less than moderate restaurants here and in most areas of the US. Their prices are definitely LOWER than higher priced restaurants anywhere.
Third, knowing in advance the prices and rules, booking the cruise says I agree to adhere to those rules. My word and personal sense of honor is worth MUCH more that the few extra pennies spent.

I could by a used Geo for less than I paid for my new "Testosteroni", but I didn't.

Dan[/QUOTE]

When was the last time you spent 7 straight days in a restaurant or bar?
Wouldn't there be a major drain on your credit card, sitting there all afternoon and evening, every day, drinking beer or wine or Sloe Gin Fizzes?
Besides, you're dodging my original question...what if Carnival prohibited bringing aboard basic stuff like sunscreen or mouthwash, and sold you theirs instead?

[quote name='kpatter']When was the last time you spent 7 straight days in a restaurant or bar?
Wouldn't there be a major drain on your credit card, sitting there all afternoon and evening, every day, drinking beer or wine or Sloe Gin Fizzes?
Besides, you're dodging my original question...what if Carnival prohibited bringing aboard basic stuff like sunscreen or mouthwash, and sold you theirs instead?[/QUOTE]

I've accepted that on vacation, I am going to spend money.
Vacations are expensive. To be honest as far as travel goes, cruising is the most reasonably priced vacationing you can do. If I can't afford to buy their booze, I don't go. (or I don't drink) I don't do anything I can't afford. If I can't afford something I wait until I have the means to buy it (whether it's a cruise or anything else) and then when I get it, I can relax and enjoy it. How can you relax on a vacation when worried about your S&S bill??? That would suck!
As far as your original question, I think people are dodging it because it's really stretching it, donchathink??? But I'll answer it anyway.
IF the cruiselines did in fact not allow me to pack toiletries of my own, I enjoy cruising enough to buy them on the ship.
Sorry if my answer disappoints you.

No, I'm not disappointed. I've been on 2 cruises, and haven't smuggled either time. I paid my $400+ bar bill last time, without teeth-gnashing. But, I don't judge anyone who wants to bring their own booze with them. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.
I have read lots of points and counterpoints to the smuggling arguments. My point is simply that Carnival charges too much for their beer and booze and wine. As far as being able to enjoy a cruise without worrying about the cost, how about this...the $300-400 we might save on drinks: wow, that would pay for one helluva Grand Cayman or Jamaican excursion.

[quote name='kpatter']No, I'm not disappointed. I've been on 2 cruises, and haven't smuggled either time. I paid my $400+ bar bill last time, without teeth-gnashing. But, I don't judge anyone who wants to bring their own booze with them. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.
I have read lots of points and counterpoints to the smuggling arguments. My point is simply that Carnival charges too much for their beer and booze and wine. As far as being able to enjoy a cruise without worrying about the cost, how about this...the $300-400 we might save on drinks: wow, that would pay for one helluva Grand Cayman or Jamaican excursion.[/quote]

You have your right to your opinion... my bar bill is generally at least more than double yours, but I also budget and plan for this. Every resort I have been to for a week, I have incurred a higher bill... But don't compare smuggling booze to toothpaste :rolleyes: Come on... I mean, I realize some peole have drinking problems, but to compare booze to "essentials"??? Sure, for some that might apply, but I'm guessing the majority would not consider it a necessity :p

I don't think the drinks are priced unreasonably... Hey, take your booze if you want... when I have done it, I've never done it to save the money, it's been out of convenience to entertain in my cabin, but I realize everyone has different reasons... I decided to start using the Carnival booze delivery method... (I need more room for shoes :p) I don't care if one smuggles or not, but the original post here made NO SENSE to me... REALLY stretching it.

[quote name='kpatter']Besides, you're dodging my original question...what if Carnival prohibited bringing aboard basic stuff like sunscreen or mouthwash, and sold you theirs instead?[/quote]

Your dodging my original /answerquestion.How would it be enforced? How do you handle this with 9000 pieces of luggage? Are you going to snap on a glove and do a cavity search or pat down every person.

[quote name='kpatter'], how about this...the $300-400 we might save on drinks: wow, that would pay for one helluva Grand Cayman or Jamaican excursion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and the airfare I pay just to get to the port would likely buy me a week's cruise too.
But, I just do it.

I cruise, drink a lot, pay my S&S bill and move on (moving on usually means start planning the next cruise :D )
Grumbling about the cost of things on the ship makes ruining your trip.

[quote name='cruisecruisecruise1234567']Your dodging my original /answerquestion.How would it be enforced? How do you handle this with 9000 pieces of luggage? Are you going to snap on a glove and do a cavity search or pat down every person.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't NEED to be enforced, none of it does. Whoever wants to keep taking potshots at me, go ahead...I just proposed a fictitious "what-if" to generate a little thought.

The "blasters" should consider what I'm asking, and quit judging people.

"IF" it was not allowed by Carnival to bring onboard some sunscreen (sure, that's preposterous, but so what), but you could buy theirs, would you smuggle in some sunscreen?
If so, how is that any different from smuggling in some booze?

[quote name='kpatter']If so, how is that any different from smuggling in some booze?[/quote]

The difference is that they TRY and catch booze. They xray anytime you get on the ship and they even xray your bags.Yes a majority of the smuggled booze gets thru but a portion does get caught.I have been there.:o

Archived