What was your FAV snorkeling excursion in Belize and why?

stephuney

I just went on the Goffs Caye excursion through Carnival last week. This was also a snorkeling excursion. It was very rough when we got there and we thought there was no way we would be able to float or see anything. We got in the water and it was beautiful. There were so many gorgeous, colorful fish and coral. I am very glad that we did this excursion. I don't have any experience with any of the other excursions, but, this one was great. We then got to spend about an hour at Goffs' Caye which was also beautiful.

I just went on the Goffs Caye excursion through Carnival last week. This was also a snorkeling excursion. It was very rough when we got there and we thought there was no way we would be able to float or see anything. We got in the water and it was beautiful. There were so many gorgeous, colorful fish and coral. I am very glad that we did this excursion. I don't have any experience with any of the other excursions, but, this one was great. We then got to spend about an hour at Goffs' Caye which was also beautiful.

thanks ... questions:

how deep was the water you snorkeled in?

how long did the excursion last?

carnival is the cruise line I will be on - may I ask how much this excursion cost and what else it included?

I was on Carnival Legend. I think the excursion was $59 but it should be on their website. I could not find any private tours that went to Goff's Caye. The water where the boat let us out was around 12ft deep which is perfect because you don't step on the coral there. You can also walk out and snorkel some off of Goff's Caye. A really great way for kids to see a little of the reef is to bring a raft with a clear window in it and walk them out. They won't see as much of the reef but they could see some pretty fish and coral. We found this out by accident because we brought with us a blue clear raft. A raft with a window would have worked better. We liked this excursion because we traveled with people from 6-70 in my family. Everyone got to do something. The ones that the water was too rough for stayed on the boat but we got to go back to Goff's Caye. If you have someone who does not want to snorkel, they can stay on the island while you snorkel. This whole excursion is about 3.5 hours. Hope this helps. I don't have experience with the other excursions so I can only tell you our experience. Also, if you have your own snorkel gear, it would be better. We used theirs and it took awhile to get everything adjusted right. Have fun!

I would also give a big "thumbs up" to Goff's Caye. We had a great time. By taking the ship tour you get picked up right at the ship - no tendering in to BC and then going back out again. We loved this trip! [We're beginning snorkelers.] Once you're back on the island, see if the guide is taking anyone out for a snorkel trip around the island. We didn't realize they were doing that, but would've liked to do that.

On our trip to Goff's Caye, we made a quick stop on the island to let people off that weren't snorkeling, then the boat took most of us out to the reef, then we went back and had about an hour at Goff's Caye. I guess maybe they do it differently each time depending on the weather,etc.

Hey cruisinonup ... thanks for the advice on Goff's Caye - I've looked at pics of Goff's Caye and it looks amazing ... a question I have is do you know if the snorkeling on the Goff's Caye in reef snorkeling?

We did a reef snorkel out of Bannister Island and would recommend it to anyone. The island is gorgeous with plenty of chairs, snacks and drinks, a nice roped off swimming area and can be booked with or without a boat trip out to the reef for snorkeling.

When you go out in the boat, there is a reef which is supposed to be part of the barrier reef. If you are snorkeling and lose your placement, the guide will help you get back over the reef. I don't know much about Bannister reef/Island. We did enjoy our excursion though!

We did a reef snorkel out of Bannister Island and would recommend it to anyone. The island is gorgeous with plenty of chairs, snacks and drinks, a nice roped off swimming area and can be booked with or without a boat trip out to the reef for snorkeling.

Clackey ... thanks for the info ... I will look that one up for sure ... can you book that through Carnival? Just curious!!

Hey, caught your response on the topless Cozumel thread ... join us on Legend group cruise next summer!:p

When you go out in the boat, there is a reef which is supposed to be part of the barrier reef. If you are snorkeling and lose your placement, the guide will help you get back over the reef. I don't know much about Bannister reef/Island. We did enjoy our excursion though!

great, thanks so much!

Clackey ... thanks for the info ... I will look that one up for sure ... can you book that through Carnival? Just curious!!

Hey, caught your response on the topless Cozumel thread ... join us on Legend group cruise next summer!:p

I just saw another thread here on the Belize board that had the Bannister Island snorkel thru Carnival for $60 pp.

I'm looking for another cruise so don't tempt me with the Legend.;)

I just saw another thread here on the Belize board that had the Bannister Island snorkel thru Carnival for $60 pp.

I'm looking for another cruise so don't tempt me with the Legend.;)

I'm looking up Bannister Island now ...

I dont see Legend in your past ... come on, it'll be new and fun!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on Legend in January and also interested in a Carnival snorkeling tour to avoid the tender to Belize. Does anyone know which Carnival tour goes to an island that has places to eat and maybe a bar on the beach?

Thanks,

Sally

We will be on Legend in January and also interested in a Carnival snorkeling tour to avoid the tender to Belize. Does anyone know which Carnival tour goes to an island that has places to eat and maybe a bar on the beach?

Thanks,

Sally

I dug thru my Capers and all that I found was 3 snorkel trips. One was Goff's Caye, Sergeant's Caye and Rendezvous Caye Beach Break and snorkel. It doesn't mention food or drink.

I dug thru my Capers and all that I found was 3 snorkel trips. One was Goff's Caye, Sergeant's Caye and Rendezvous Caye Beach Break and snorkel. It doesn't mention food or drink.

Thanks for the tip ... I'll have to check those out ... I am really undecided about what to do in this port.

• 3 weeks later...

I also went to Goff's Cay this summer (actually met Cruisinonup on that excursion!) and loved it. I chose to snorkel off the boat, but my hubby and son went straight to the beach. Something for everyone! The snorkeling was incredible. And yes, it was part of the barrier reef. I was very happy to relax on the beach when they took us back to the cay after snorkeling, and even the tender boat ride was fun. I got some of my best pics on this excursion, even though I left my waterproof camera with hubby and didn't get anh snorkeling pics.:o

On a side note: We ventured away from the port area in Belize after the excursion. The jade museum around the corner is really neat....small, but interesting. BUT the folks selling stuff on the way were VERY aggressive. Some others on our ship said they were advised not to go out of the port area, but no one told us. Just an FYI.

Kelly

Cheick out Coral Breeze and Caye Caulker website, also the Paradise Hotel at Caye Caulker. We went on the Sting Ray alley snorkel excurison in July, there were only 17 people in the group and not everyone snorkeled. We had 3 fantastic guides, very personable and knowledgeable. Actually, I am returning there in Feb. and I plan to repeat this same excursion with friends. They took us on a fun boat ride 21 miles from Belize. We snorkeled at the top of the barrier reef, it was fantastic. Then they took us to another location where we had sting rays swimming all around us. We went to Caye Caulker island, this is a laid back tropical island where about 1500 people live. We were served a very good lunch at the Paradise Hotel and had a little time to walk around the island. We included lunch in our tour. We then returned to Belize. It was a day my family will always remember. Good luck with your decision!

I also went to Goff's Cay this summer (actually met Cruisinonup on that excursion!) and loved it. I chose to snorkel off the boat, but my hubby and son went straight to the beach. Something for everyone! The snorkeling was incredible. And yes, it was part of the barrier reef. I was very happy to relax on the beach when they took us back to the cay after snorkeling, and even the tender boat ride was fun. I got some of my best pics on this excursion, even though I left my waterproof camera with hubby and didn't get anh snorkeling pics.:o

Kelly

Kelly,

Did Goff's Cay have a restaurant or bar?

Thanks,

Sally

Cheick out Coral Breeze and Caye Caulker website, also the Paradise Hotel at Caye Caulker. We went on the Sting Ray alley snorkel excurison in July, there were only 17 people in the group and not everyone snorkeled. We had 3 fantastic guides, very personable and knowledgeable. Actually, I am returning there in Feb. and I plan to repeat this same excursion with friends. They took us on a fun boat ride 21 miles from Belize. We snorkeled at the top of the barrier reef, it was fantastic. Then they took us to another location where we had sting rays swimming all around us. We went to Caye Caulker island, this is a laid back tropical island where about 1500 people live. We were served a very good lunch at the Paradise Hotel and had a little time to walk around the island. We included lunch in our tour. We then returned to Belize. It was a day my family will always remember. Good luck with your decision!

I'm coming up on my first cruise. Was it difficult or slow to get off the ship in Belize doing a private excursion instead of doing an excursion through the cruise ship company?

On a side note: We ventured away from the port area in Belize after the excursion. The jade museum around the corner is really neat....small, but interesting. BUT the folks selling stuff on the way were VERY aggressive. Some others on our ship said they were advised not to go out of the port area, but no one told us. Just an FYI.

Kelly

When you said you snorkled right off the boat, can you tell me what kind of entrance into and out of the water the boat had available. I have been on catamarans that have stairs that fall into the water and I have very awkwardly entered a boat up a rope ladder (never want to have to repeat that venture)

Archived