Buying tux in NYC

nundi

Does anyone know if there is a shop (not internet) to buy a nice-ish tux at a reasonable price in New York. We will be in the city for 5 days before our cruise. Otherwise hubby might just go with the dark suit option. Thanks.

I know you said "not internet" but I still had to respond about a tux that I just bought on line. It is a name brand (can't remember the name but I think it is Chaps) tux retails for 675.00 (I researched before I purchased) on ebay from a store in Boston (I live in MA too) for 230.00 including shipping. We are going on a 10 day cruise and I have two sons that will get some use out of it too with proms etc. For us to rent a tux for the cruise, I was quoted 150-175.00. My other choice was the same as yours, have my husband wear a suit that he already has but for us it made sense to buy. Let me know if you want the name/email address. My email address is portie6@comcast.net.

Hopes this helps you make up your mind!

Barbara

I am a "tux true believer". If there is any chance that he will wear it a few more times, splurge and get a decent one. The men's wear store Jos. Banks was recently having a sale on quality formal wear. They have a website, but many stores, including Manhattan. Check them out. (No, I have no relationship with them other than as a customer).Good luck

MarkB

In NYC I don't know but I'm sure some seasoned New Yorkers will be able to help.

If you can get to NJ, K&G Men's Mart on Route 46E in Fairfield near Willowbrook Mall usually has a good selection of men's clothes at great prices. Willowbrook Mall is hit or miss depending on whether there is a sale. You may find something at Daffy Dan's, Clothing Bargains for Millionaires. You can often find a deal at the various stores at the Jersey Garden's Shopping Mall near Newark Airport.

Also in NJ you don't have to pay sales tax on clothes. You do have to pay tax in NY.

Nundi,

If you are going to get more use out of it I would reccommend Brooks Brothers in Manhatten (close to grand central station). Always a classic never goes out of style and occaissionally a closeout on a particular designer.

You may also want to try Sym's 42 Trinity Place in Manhatten. Good prices and tailors on premesis . Of course Brooks Bothers has tailors too.

Hope this helps.:):)

Nundi,

Brooks Brothers is an excellent choice.

Sak's 5th Ave, though they can be pricey, would have an excellent selection as well as an excellent tailor.

Lord and Taylor has a nice men's dept and not too expensive. They also have in-house alterations.

Macy's would have a tux, but I wouldn't trust them for alterations on time.

The Men's Warehouse might carry tuxes and they're a good discount store.

Since you only have 5 days, I think it's important that you shop at a place that has an instore alterations dept. A 4 day turnaround is a big demand and the better the store, the more likely it is that you'll get serviced in that short amount of time.

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there is a shop (not internet) to buy a nice-ish tux at a reasonable price in New York. We will be in the city for 5 days before our cruise. Otherwise hubby might just go with the dark suit option. Thanks.

If this post is not too late, try Syms. They have the best selection of suits as well as pricing. There are a couple all over manhattan, downtown and I believe there is one in midtown on the east side as well. Check with the hotel concierge.

I love Syms, be careful, you could wind up spending all of your cruise money in there, not just for your hubby but for yourself:)

Deborah

Archived