Report - Crowne Plaza Hotel San Pedro by CJW

If Crowne Plaza offered the same free parking as Doubletree I would definitely bid for it on Priceline. Unfortunately, it doesn't. So for me, even with the cheap bid, the parking fees pretty much wipes out the bargain. And that's only if you can even get a parking place there. Otherwise, you would need to park at the terminal for two dollars more. So, a regular rate at Doubletree with free parking is almost the same as the Priceline amount at CP. It's great for those without a car, though.

We're from NY and heading to San Pedro for our first West Coast Cruise this Fall, so we had the same confusion.

The folks on this board have been amazing with knowledge and tips - especially the pictures, reviews, and suggestions of CJW and the others!

We finally decided on the Crown Plaza mainly for two reasons: 1) It appears to be more central to other activities than the DoubleTree, and 2) We got it for a great price on Priceline!

Don't misunderstand...I am a huge fan of Doubletree, and stay there many times for work as I travel, but the one in San Pedro seems to be only near the Marina - and nothing else! As they did not come up as my successful bid on Priceline, I am now able to save those Hilton points for another vacation. It was my first choice for San Pedro, but after research, we are looking forward to the Crown Plaza!

Good Luck!

:)

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to add thunder_lin's nice review to this thread...

Just returned from our 1 night stay pre-cruise at the Crowne Plaza - San Pedro.

Rooms - very clean and well maintained

Hallways - carpets were very clean

Beds - very comfortable

Location - great

Shuttle Service - excellent

Restaurant and bar - did not use

Tuck Shop - had wierd hours

Just a note for you shoppers out there, the Crowne Plaza runs drop off and pick up service to the Del Amo Shopping Centre as well as Target. They have set times that you sign up for at the Bell man area in the lobby. We took advantage of the mall service.

The smaller shuttle also took me to a convenience type store and waited while I picked up what I needed and then pointed out various restaurants we could walk to the next morning for breakfast should we decide not to eat at the Crowne Plaza.

Pre-cruise morning we walked over to Grinder's Restaurant - two block walk - for breakfast. Food was good and reasonably priced.

I liked the Crowne Plaza. Won it on Priceline for $65.00. It was a great find and a good place to stay pre-cruise.

You can check her original thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=936270

Thanks again for the review upon your return!

Also thought that I should start combining some info from other questions and other threads into this one...

For starters, here is info on places for breakfast nearby

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15657552&postcount=11

Michael at Off The Vine is the man, folks!

I was hoping he'd stop in, and he didn't disappoint.

So, listen to his recommendations as they are good:

Nosh - Centre Street at 6th

Go up from Crowne Plaza then turn left.

This place is great fresh food, very California. I forgot about this for breakfast, because I think of it as lunch (I sometimes get a sandwich to go in the car).

San Pedro Cafe - 6th street at Pacific

Breakfast, Breakfast burritos!, and yes, friendly service.

Rexs Cafe - Pacific and 22nd

Great call from Off The Vine!

Bit of a trek, but worth it. Good food, totally unique California funky place.

And yeah, like I said before. Grinders is like Denny's - mass market.

Why eat there, when there are all these cool unique one of a kind places right nearby?!?!;)

click on the attached thumbnails to get full sized pics

SanPedroBreakfast.jpg.e6cfd56ff45e98c60844555148e49bf4.jpg

Amenities nearby...

If you want the best selection of wine, and the best customer service then

www.*****

is right up on 6th street.

For actual liquor...

Numero Uno

500 S Pacific Ave, San Pedro, CA

Anchor

267 W 7th St, San Pedro, CA

Also in general, up on 6th street especially, as well as a bit on 7th is a lot of new gentrified shops and restaurants. Really nice for just strolling and looking around...

Here's one of my tours of the area, just to give you some background and history...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

Hope that helps!

• 5 months later...

I've been reading these boards for the past few days, as we'll be sailing out of San Pedro (RCI-Mariner) on Dec 6. Every post and thread I've read of yours is interesting and informative. Kudos, sir!

Allen Mather

We have a resie at the CP in Jan. We live in So Cal but are anxiuos to start our vacay so we are going to drive up a day early and do the park & sail. With taxes we are paying $226.66. Its seems high to me for what I have read here.

We keep checking, and even checked price line and its is $153.00 but that doesnt include the parking for the 7 days.

So if anyone has any info on haw to lower that it would be appreciated.

We have gone down to SP once for the day in July to get our bearings, and we really liked the atmosphere, it has really gotten alot more "people" friendly.

We had cocktails at the San Pedro Brewery and really like the place, its two block up from the CP

We have a resie at the CP in Jan. We live in So Cal but are anxiuos to start our vacay so we are going to drive up a day early and do the park & sail. With taxes we are paying $226.66. Its seems high to me for what I have read here.

We keep checking, and even checked price line and its is $153.00 but that doesnt include the parking for the 7 days.

So if anyone has any info on haw to lower that it would be appreciated.

You need to use the "name your own price" option on the Priceline web site. That's where you will bid for your discounted hotel room.

• 3 weeks later...
After reading all the posts here, I'm still unclear about one thing. I've never used Priceline. So, will I be able to bid on the CP only, or is there a chance that I'll have to accept the DTI?

Rick

Crowne Plaza is considered a 3 1/2 star hotel while Doubletree is 3 stars. If you only bid on the 3 1/2 star category you won't win Doubletree.

Crowne Plaza usually accepts a $65.00 bid on Priceline.

Archived