Transportation in Athens

Hi Everyone, How have you gotten around Athens from the ship? There are eight of us and we decided on not getting a regular tour for this port. Is it easy to get to the Acropolis and other sites? Appreciate all the info you folks put out, it has made planning for this cruise a joy. Leaving on 9/26/07 Emerald Princess from Barcelona to Venice. Thanks a bunch from AZqueen and friends.

Hi Everyone, How have you gotten around Athens from the ship? There are eight of us and we decided on not getting a regular tour for this port. Is it easy to get to the Acropolis and other sites? Appreciate all the info you folks put out, it has made planning for this cruise a joy. Leaving on 9/26/07 Emerald Princess from Barcelona to Venice. Thanks a bunch from AZqueen and friends.

I was in Greece in July!

Is the ship docking in Pireaus? From there you can catch a cab to the Acropolis and it shouldn't be more than 25 euros. Be sure to settle on a price before you get into the cab or, if the driver uses a meter, make sure that the meter is set to zero.

You can also take the metro to the Acropolis.

From there you can walk down to the Monistiraki and Plaka neighborhoods, the oldest in Athens.

You can also hire drivers for the day, just make sure to settle on a price.

Here is the link to a website that really helped me plan my stay in Athens last month.

http://www.athensguide.com/#Basic

We walked from the ship to the station - long way in the heat at present and do not recommend it. Unfortunately there is no shuttle so I do not know how you solve this as when we got of the ship there were also no buses or taxis evident.

Once we got to the station it was great, Athens had the cleanest, most efficient of the metro train systems we came across and we loved it.

On the way back we got a taxi near the station to go back to the ship.

As we walked from the ship there was a bus stop/terminus that might have been able to advise on a bus to the station but we did not try it.

David

Archived