Underwater Camera Cases

aleahmach1

I have a Canon Powershot S3 IS. I called Canon and they confirmed that an underwater case is not made for my model.:mad: What do I do now? :confused: Last cruise I was VERY dissapointed with the throw away underwater cameras. I want to take my digital. Is there another option.......maybe a universal? :o Web links would be great. Thanks in advance.

i just saw this on another thread I think here under scuba and snorkeling...

www.digideep.com has a lot of great information on cameras, and what casings go with them, etc.

check it out...

C-dudeman - I found one made by Ikelite.........$750.00:eek: Twice what I paid for the camera. Thanks for the link, now I know what kind of teminology to use in my searches. Thanks for the help........anyone else???:confused:

Afraid you maybe disappointed with any camera. JFYI, when kiddo and I were in PADI U/W Photography class, about 80% of our pixs were trash and another 10% partial heads, fins, and etc.. That was using a pair of Reefmaster U/W 35mm cameras with external flash units and shooting over a dozen rolls. The problem is not the camera but that light absorbtion by water (colors fade out), inability to stabalize your camera (blurs), the bending of light (partial shots in frame) underwater, and the fact that most interesting things are moving underwater make good shots rare.

You can use a cheap, pouch-type case unit for your digital, but don't expect miracles - U/W photography is inherently tricky.

Last cruise I was VERY dissapointed with the throw away underwater cameras.

Does anyone have any experience with these underwater camera bags?

http://www.waterproof-paper.com/cases/waterproof-camera-case.shtml

Good or bad experience???

Hi,

Link didn't work for me but if you linked to an underwater camera bag that's made of plastic, with a piece of photo glass welded to it and a waterproof seal, yes for snorkeling these would fit just about any camera (you operate the controls through the bag so all it does is keep water out). For diving they only work to about 30ft. then the bag constricts too small to allow operation of the buttons through the bag. I used one for quite awhile before I invested in an enclosure. They are an alternative between disposables and enclosures. A couple things, you need to keep desicant paks in them (the moisture aborbing packets) to keep the lense from fogging up. You have to have easy to access controls (I used to pre-set my controls so all I needed was the power, zoom and shutter buttons). Viewing the LCD on a digital camera through the plastic can sometimes be a challenge in the water. You of course can't attach a strobe so be prepared to remove the 'blue' out of the pictures. I used mine diving so I blew into it to expand the bag as much as possible. That way once I was under the water there was more air in the bag to compress allowing me to go deeper before it became unusable. Also, like DiveMaster said, underwater photography is tricky so don't expect a lot out of your camera, even in an enclosure. But you can get better. I like to think I have. You can view some of my pictures at my website: www.randallgamby.com.

Randall

I've spent a lot of time researching underwater cameras. We have a canon but the under water case makes it almost twice as big and it's expensive to boot-- not easy to throw in a bag. I'm > < this close to getting an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. It's water proof, and crush proof (perfect for the beach).

I have a buddy that has one and he loves it for the beach and camping. From the reviews, I've read you don't want to make this your primary camera but it's great for quick shots and the durability is top notch. I'm a little scared to put an expensive digital underwater -- if it leaks you're hosed.

Good Luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000LXXJ1I

I'm a little scared to put an expensive digital underwater -- if it leaks you're hosed.

Hi,

You know if you go to DiversAlertNetwork.com, the insurance group for divers, they have a link to a company that insures against lost, theft and "flooding" of dive equipment, including cameras. It's not that expensive and considering you can recover the money on a flooded digital camera, it's a pretty good deal. And I agree, I have the canon with the enclosure and it is big. But I'm a diver and when you add in the strobe, flood light and stand with arms, the enclosure's pretty small. :)

Randall

If you dive with lights or a camera you will experience leaks now and then. Be prepared to accept flooded equipment as the cost of playing the game. When electronic gear floods pretty much 99.99% of the time it is toast.

I'm a little scared to put an expensive digital underwater -- if it leaks you're hosed.

Thanks everyone for great advise. We are just snorklers with a passion for great pictures. I think since Canon does not make an enclosure for my camera and a custom one costs $700 I am going to give the bag a try this go around. I will put moisture absorbing packets in it (thanks for that helpful little tip) and adjust the photos in Photoshop as best as I can. If anyone can tell me which bag (brand name) they have used with decent results in the past that would be awesome. Thanks again! :D

I have a Canon Powershot S3 IS. I called Canon and they confirmed that an underwater case is not made for my model.:mad: What do I do now? :confused: Last cruise I was VERY dissapointed with the throw away underwater cameras. I want to take my digital. Is there another option.......maybe a universal? :o Web links would be great. Thanks in advance.

I also had a Cannon Powershot for which they do not make a housing (A530). I too was very disappointed with the throwaways and ended up purchasing a Reefmaster Mini underwater digital w/ flash for around $299 (cheaper than a lot of housings). I have only taken it snorkling, but am very happy with the results. I would be very hesitant, and always paranoid, if I threw my Cannon in a bag.

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

just thought i would throw my 2 cents in here, as i have all of the same problems you guys did. i have a canon S3 as well, no moderatly priced enclosures except the expensive one mentioned, and you will be VERY hard pressed to find a vinyl bag thing that will work because you dont want to damage that nice zoom mechanism! a better option may be look on ebay for an older digital that offers and enclosure, or if you look around you can get a sealife 35mm for a reasonable price....

crusincoach-as an FYI canon doesnt make an enclosure for the A530, but the one for the A520 fits perfectly! i have used it on many occasions with my 530 and all of the important buttons work i.e. zoom, shoot, power, modes, etc. the only buttons that dont line up are the Dpad on the back to review pics. it is 100% waterproof though and works great!!!

I just dove again this weekend in West Palm and used my Fugi F30 with the housing. I love being able to record 640x480 videos and watch them later. You can also get the new F40 with the housing. I believe all under 300.00 and the F40 is a 8.3mp.

• 2 weeks later...
I've spent a lot of time researching underwater cameras. We have a canon but the under water case makes it almost twice as big and it's expensive to boot-- not easy to throw in a bag. I'm > < this close to getting an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. It's water proof, and crush proof (perfect for the beach).

I have a buddy that has one and he loves it for the beach and camping. From the reviews, I've read you don't want to make this your primary camera but it's great for quick shots and the durability is top notch. I'm a little scared to put an expensive digital underwater -- if it leaks you're hosed.

Good Luck!

After lots of debate over various ways to do this I decided this was the way to go. At the store they are $379.00 at Best Buy. If you go online to Best Buy they are $299.00!!:D Will let you know how it all worked out in January. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Luck!

Jessie123 thanks for the advice. I got the camera and my MIL used it in Cozumel last week and it did a fantastic job. They were in brackish water so it's not as good as it could have been but we were very impressed........glad I bought it!!

Archived