Hotels in Rome

I'm trying to decide what hotel in Rome to stay in after our cruise.

Right now there are 3 hotels that are being considered. Hotel Farnese, Hotel della Torre Argentina, and Abergo Santa Chiara. All are around the same price. Can anyone guide me as to which hotel would be the better one and why?

Any other suggestions would also be welcome.

thanks

Joanne

Right now there are 3 hotels that are being considered. Hotel Farnese, Hotel della Torre Argentina, and Abergo Santa Chiara. All are around the same price. Can anyone guide me as to which hotel would be the better one and why?

thanks

Joanne

I didn't run across those in my research, but you can go to tripadvisor.com and read their reviews. The first hotels I chose, didn't have good reviews, so I kept looking, until I found one I liked the looks of and the price of. That's all you do, you have to do the research yourself because nobody else knows what you want or expect of a hotel.

I settled on a hotel that is about 3 km from the Vatican (Atahotel Villa Pamphili) they offer a courtesy shuttle to/from the Airport and to/from the Vatican. When I started looking, their price was $165 now it's up to $218. If it doesn't come back down before Oct '08, I'm switching to a B&B in Civitavecchia and will just take the train into Rome 1 day and use the Hop on/Hop off bus to see the sights.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

de

thanks

Joanne

We chose the della Torre Argentina for its location and roof top garden. Hope it was the right choice for pre cruise next year. Trip advisor, romeby and venere are good sites to explore. Good luck.

thanks

Joanne

I am also trying to decide on a pre cruise hotel in Rome (Aug '08). I suggest you read (lots) of reviews on Trip Advisor.com then cross reference them with venere.com. The hotels that one website rate high and the other website rate low are good ones to discard. I booked a post cruise hotel in Venice at Locanda Orseolo (A B/B that got great reveiws everywhere (including cruise critic). I asked them if they knew of a good place in rome and they recommended...Hotel Del Senato (rated #2 on trip adivsor, given a 9.3 rating on venere and mentioned on c/c). Other ones might be worth checking into are: Hotel Dei Gladiatori, Hotel Sofitel, and Daniels Hotel. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

I did a 12 day cruise this lasy May with a two day precruise stay in Rome. I went through the same issues that some of you are going through...where do you stay and how do you get around? I finally took the atitude that location had everything to do with it. I really didn't want to deal with taxi drivers that had an advantage over the tourist. I finally booked a hotel 6 blocks from the train station inorder to have easy access to sights in Rome and cheap transportation to Civitavecchia. It was really easy taking the train from the Airport to Rome Termini (11 euros). I did notice the closer to the train station you are the better the chance of getting a real dump. I would say for $200 dollar (150 Euros) you will get a room with a bath and running water. Don't exspect the airconditioning to be turned on until after June 1st. This is a government rule for Rome. Not only that some places will charge an extra $10 for the use of air conditioning. We did alot of walking but it was enjoyable walking. There are all kinds of side walk cafes and for under $12.00 you can usually get a pizza and a good size glass of wine. Our last night in Rome we stayed at the new airport Garden Hilton which I think ran $260 a night. I hope these prices don't discourage anyone from going to Rome I am just letting everyone know what to exspect. Here is something not to do...Do not take a taxi from the Airport to the port. I think $153 Euros is real rip off. There is cheap transportation just learn how to use it. Tim

Joann, the Hotel Domus Praetoria is a great spot. Good, "authentic Italy" location, by the Termini station. You can take the Leonardo Express to or from FCO to downtown. Good rates, and there's a market outside in the mornings so you can pick up some fruit & stuff for the day. Good location, close to restaurants. We walked everywhere but to the Vatican. Don't forget to book your tour directly WITH the Vatican! Let me know if questions.

Rose

I did a 12 day cruise this lasy May with a two day precruise stay in Rome. I went through the same issues that some of you are going through...where do you stay and how do you get around? I finally took the atitude that location had everything to do with it. I really didn't want to deal with taxi drivers that had an advantage over the tourist. I finally booked a hotel 6 blocks from the train station inorder to have easy access to sights in Rome and cheap transportation to Civitavecchia. It was really easy taking the train from the Airport to Rome Termini (11 euros). I did notice the closer to the train station you are the better the chance of getting a real dump. I would say for $200 dollar (150 Euros) you will get a room with a bath and running water. Don't exspect the airconditioning to be turned on until after June 1st. This is a government rule for Rome. Not only that some places will charge an extra $10 for the use of air conditioning. We did alot of walking but it was enjoyable walking. There are all kinds of side walk cafes and for under $12.00 you can usually get a pizza and a good size glass of wine. Our last night in Rome we stayed at the new airport Garden Hilton which I think ran $260 a night. I hope these prices don't discourage anyone from going to Rome I am just letting everyone know what to exspect. Here is something not to do...Do not take a taxi from the Airport to the port. I think $153 Euros is real rip off. There is cheap transportation just learn how to use it. Tim

WOW!! I hate to say it, but whether it was 153 USD or 153 Euro--you surely got a rip-off! Most taxi's have a fixed price of 40EU to and from the airport. When we got our bags, we went to the outside taxi stand, and kept asking 40 Eu to Rome? One driver said--well, it depends on the meter--I looked for another taxi--2 down, actually---and it was 40 into citycentsr--45 w/tip.

Joanne

Our family of 4 stayed at this hotel (della torre argentina) in July 2007 precruise and found it a very convienent and central location. It is just minutes from Piazza Navona (and the Pantheon) and the bus that takes you around Rome stops right out front of it. The staff were helpful and the breakfast buffet, although not overwhelming with choices, was enough to give us a great start to our day.

We walked everywhere from this location and I don't think we walked any more than 20 minutes to any of the major sites.

The room was small, as are many european hotel rooms. But the bathroom was large with big tub and separate large shower. Very clean too. I checked prices all over the place for this hotel and finally got a better price just by emailing the hotel directly.

It sure can be overwhelming when trying to find a hotel in Rome but we checked Venere.com for reviews and location and this hotel came highly recommended. We definitely would stay here again. As for the other hotels on your list, sorry, can't help.

Faye

Our family of 4 stayed at this hotel (della torre argentina) in July 2007 precruise and found it a very convienent and central location.

Thank you for your positive remarks concerning this hotel. We are booked for two days precruise next year. Did you use the roof terrace while you were there?

Jack1 and jmsbrophy

These last two hotels look great, as they should for $349 (Argentina) and $398 (Farnese) per night. While they look great, they are out of my pocketbook. There is no way I'm paying over $300 per night for a room anywhere.

Vivian02

The prices are certainly discouraging, when the only thing that is affordable is a 1 or 2 star hotel???? that most people wouldn't stay in.

I haven't given up, as stated earlier, if the dollar dips further and prices go even higher, I will opt for the B&B in Civitavecchia and just take the train back into Rome for sightseeing on the ho ho bus.

Jack1 and jmsbrophy

These last two hotels look great, as they should for $349 (Argentina) and $398 (Farnese) per night. While they look great, they are out of my pocketbook. There is no way I'm paying over $300 per night for a room anywhere.

Hey, I'm with you! I've been to Rome (and elsewhere in Italy) numerous times, and I've never stayed at a regular hotel unless it was absolutely unavoidable. Italy is full of small pensione run by Catholic sisters, as their means of earning income. Generally they're small villas, often quite charming, and they are CLEAN and SAFE and relatively cheap! They tend to attract nice, normal people as guests--not loud party-animals or other sketchy types that might make you nervous. And no, you don't have to be Catholic to stay at one. You usually can forget amenities like cable TV in your room, but I figure that's not what I go to Rome for anyway!

I used to stay at one run by Franciscan sisters, but it's unfortunately been sold, so I can't personally recommend a particular one now! But check out this website: http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/guest.htm

I've been thinking that next time I'm in Rome, I'll look into the Domus Aurelia, which is one I keep hearing about--it's up the hill to the west of the Vatican, in a nice residential neighborhood, and the bus goes right up there.

Hey, I'm with you! I've been to Rome (and elsewhere in Italy) numerous times, and I've never stayed at a regular hotel unless it was absolutely unavoidable. Italy is full of small pensione run by Catholic sisters, as their means of earning income. Generally they're small villas, often quite charming, and they are CLEAN and SAFE and relatively cheap! They tend to attract nice, normal people as guests--not loud party-animals or other sketchy types that might make you nervous. And no, you don't have to be Catholic to stay at one. You usually can forget amenities like cable TV in your room, but I figure that's not what I go to Rome for anyway!

I used to stay at one run by Franciscan sisters, but it's unfortunately been sold, so I can't personally recommend a particular one now! But check out this website: http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/guest.htm

I've been thinking that next time I'm in Rome, I'll look into the Domus Aurelia, which is one I keep hearing about--it's up the hill to the west of the Vatican, in a nice residential neighborhood, and the bus goes right up there.

Photographia,

WOW! A GREAT BIG GRAZIA TO YOU!!! I love the looks of two of the hotels/pensiones. Domus Aurelia looks really nice as well as Domus Carmelitana S. Alberto. I knew there had to places like this that were less expensive than the big hotels, but you can't take off from the US without a reservation. Two women alone don't want to arrive in Rome with no hotel pre-planned. When my husband and I went to Italy in '98, we never paid over $50 per night. Now I realize that is almost 10 years ago and that prices have risen, and I was willing to go up to $200 but when I started looking and seeing over $300, $400, $500 per night, I was blown away.

Again I really appreciate your posting this link and providing this information to us all that there are alternatives to paying exhorbitant prices. Thank you again.

bxny- We didn't use the terrace while there. In the evening we sat outside at the Piazza Navona which is just 5 minutes away. And then when the sun went down, we went back to the hotel and off to sleep. Vacations can be very tiring!!

This hotel isn't the cheapest for sure but we knew that going into it. Happy hunting to all!

We stayed at the Albergo Santa Chiara last month--a very nice hotel in an excellent location right behind the Pantheon. The room was very large and nice and the breakfast buffet was OK. The hotel staff was very helpful about getting us a private car to take us to the airport. I would definitely stay there again.

Les

Thanks for this thread. I was about to post a similar one with the caveat that we need a hotel with an elevator.

We're currently booked into the Hotel Parlamento in October. I think our rate is 135 Euros. The hotel has an elevator, but I learned today that we'll have to walk up one flight of stairs to reach the elevator. DH is mostly in a wheelchair. He could walk up the stairs with my help, but we'll be there 4 nights so that's a lot of up and down. So, I'm looking for something else although I'm not cancelling until I find something.

We'd like to be in central Rome and stay somewhere near the price we currently have booked.

Any ideas?

I just went through this search myself. Here are some hotels I was considering and the rates in November:

Remember to ask if there's a cash rate. Many hotels will lower your rate if you pay in cash.

Adriano, near the Pantheon, 160 euros

Caesar House, near the Forum, 140 euros cash

San Carlo, near Piazza di Spagna, 125 euros

Concordia, near Piazza di Spagna, 150 euros

Scalinata di Spagna, near Piazza di Spagna, 153 euros cash

Good luck.

Photographia,

I really appreciate your posting this link and providing this information to us all that there are alternatives to paying exhorbitant prices.

Agabbymama, you're so welcome, I'm happy that you're happy! Please, if you do stay at one of these places, come back and post a report about it, okay?

BTW, there's a book out that's been out there for some years, by Eileen Barish--I think it's called Guide to Lodging in Italy's Monasteries, or something similar. It has tons of listings, all over Italy, and I just recently found out that it's been updated. If you can't book any of the places on this website (they DO book up way in advance!), you might want to check it out. Amazon has the latest edition.

Agabbymama, you're so welcome, I'm happy that you're happy! Please, if you do stay at one of these places, come back and post a report about it, okay?

BTW, there's a book out that's been out there for some years, by Eileen Barish--I think it's called Guide to Lodging in Italy's Monasteries, or something similar. It has tons of listings, all over Italy, and I just recently found out that it's been updated. If you can't book any of the places on this website (they DO book up way in advance!), you might want to check it out. Amazon has the latest edition.

photographia,

Again, thanks for the info. I would imagine at the prices they are offering, they would fill up quickly. I plan to wait until October is here, then start emailing and trying to book asap. Most places won't book out past the 330 day mark, and as I'm not going until Oct 15 '08 I still have plenty of time to actually book. If they are for some reason not available, I'll revert to my plan "B" which is the B&B in Civitavecchia. It really does look like a lovely little place (not right on the water, but with a view of the water). Just too bad it's an hour train ride into Rome for sightseeing, but that might not be a bad thing either.

photographia,

Again, thanks for the info. I would imagine at the prices they are offering, they would fill up quickly. I plan to wait until October is here, then start emailing and trying to book asap. Most places won't book out past the 330 day mark, and as I'm not going until Oct 15 '08 I still have plenty of time to actually book. If they are for some reason not available, I'll revert to my plan "B" which is the B&B in Civitavecchia. It really does look like a lovely little place (not right on the water, but with a view of the water). Just too bad it's an hour train ride into Rome for sightseeing, but that might not be a bad thing either.

we will be joining the May21 2008 Legend of Seas that will embark in Rome. we're in our mid 20s and can't really afford hotels more than US$200 after splurging on a 12night cruise in a oceanview cabin :o

these are my 3 plans:

plan A: get a hotel in rome

plan A cost (which I don't have any idea yet) : airport to rome transfer, Rome tour expenses, hotel to port transfer

plan B : get a hotel in civitavecchia then tour Rome

plan B cost : airport to civitavecchia transfer, train to Rome, Rome Tour, Civitavecchia hotel to port transfer

plan C: just get a hotel in civitavecchia and just tour around the town, wont go to Rome

we will be joining the May21 2008 Legend of Seas that will embark in Rome. we're in our mid 20s and can't really afford hotels more than US$200 after splurging on a 12night cruise in a oceanview cabin :o

these are my 3 plans:

plan A cost (which I don't have any idea yet) : airport to rome transfer, Rome tour expenses, hotel to port transfer

plan B cost : airport to civitavecchia transfer, train to Rome, Rome Tour, Civitavecchia hotel to port transfer

plan C: just get a hotel in civitavecchia and just tour around the town, wont go to Rome

My budget is the same as yours, and I haven't really found much in Rome. You may have a little better luck in May. Check out Hotel Julia, Cavour 58, Hotel Villa Pamphili are just a few that have great reviews. Hotel Villa Pamphili is about 3 km from the Vatican, but they provide a courtesy shuttle to/from the airport and to/from the Vatican. If prices come down, I plan to stay there and take their shuttle to the Vatican and catch the ho ho bus at the Vatican for the tour of Rome. Train from airport to Rome is about $15, but you'll be schlepping your own luggage.

My back-up is similar to yours. And there is a nice little B&B in Civitavecchia, called Casamica. Not sure what the rate would be in May, for Oct it will be $97 per night for a twin. They provide transfer for $130 from the airport. Free transfer to the rail or the port. The train into Rome is about $15 for what is called a B.I.R.G. ticket (and it would be roundtrip), then again train to the Vatican and catch the ho ho bus ($20).

The tour guides and drivers all want around 120 EUR to go from Rome to the port, and for tours 400-700 EUR for private tours. If you are only two people, very expensive. That's why I plan to use the ho ho buses. After you once ride it in Rome, you save your ticket and successive rides in Naples, Pisa, Florence you will get 10% off. The train is really the least expensive transport (if there is no rail strike) to the port.

Venere.com is a nice website as it not only shows the hotels, but has a nice location map, and you don't pay in advance, you pay when you check out of the hotel. Be sure to also check out tripadvisor.com for reviews before you book the hotel.

I hope you have better luck finding something in your budget and enjoy your trip to Rome.

these are my 3 plans:

If money is an issue, make sure you check alternate arrangements like taking the train from the airport to the Termini station. We did that and then walked to our hotel about 4 blocks away (for 4 of us, it cost $33E total). We then toured on our own in Rome (we did the metro system - takes you all over the city and we would just walk and use our guidebooks) and then the train from the Termini station to the Civit. port (for 4 of us, about 15-20E's total). This would give you extra money to splurge on a hotel room. The train to the port was very efficient as long as you can haul your own luggage. Rome is very doable to tour on your own with a good guide book from Barnes and Nobles and the internet :) .

Debbie

these are my 3 plans:

I would suggest that you do your homework thoroughly and you will save money. We (me, husband, daughters 11 & 13) just returned from the Freedom and 4 days pre cruise in Roma. Stayed at the Residenza Antica, we all called it a 3 star hotel in a 5 star location. Very clean, a/c worked great (and it was HOT), breakfast included, on the bus line (major road--via Tritone), one block from metro; booked a quad through AAA, prepaid in full which was nice. Buy the Romapass--20 euros--(google them and find the website). We used Romashuttle for transportation, very dependable, again check their website for prices--they offer non-private transfers at a reduced cost. The train has been used successfully by many on these boards. Join your roll call and you can probably book transfer to pier with others and save more money. (Our group of 16 paid 325 euros for full sized coach bus Roma to pier.) Good luck and enjoy!

Yo!!! We just booked the Coronari for Feb--seems like a great location, good breakfast and we got one of the terrace rooms. Hope we can use the terrace at the end of Feb.

I went on tripadvisor and made a list, then double checked hotel websites and other travel sites. Then compared prices and asked the hotel directly about discounts. We'll save money by taking the train to port.

My "wish list" was balcony, good breakfast included, walking distance to sights, close to transportation. The thing we didn't get was the last, but looking at the pictures the room more than makes up for it.

Archived