Hotels in Rome

Yo!!! We just booked the Coronari for Feb--seems like a great location, good breakfast and we got one of the terrace rooms. Hope we can use the terrace at the end of Feb.

I went on tripadvisor and made a list, then double checked hotel websites and other travel sites. Then compared prices and asked the hotel directly about discounts. We'll save money by taking the train to port.

My "wish list" was balcony, good breakfast included, walking distance to sights, close to transportation. The thing we didn't get was the last, but looking at the pictures the room more than makes up for it.

We're staying there this December post-cruise. It's a great location, that's for sure. Very central. Seems to be about a 15 min. walk to Vatican or to the Piazza di Spagna. We also booked a terrace room...who could resist?? We first booked Albergo del Senato, but decided if we stayed at Residenza Coronari, we'd save about $80 per night, which pays for some meals. I'll post a review when we get home.

I just found out there's a Christmas market set up in Piazza Navona for the month of December, so it should be very festive. We're also spending a couple of nights before the cruise and are staying near the Forum.

I did the same kind of research: cross-checked TripAdvisor, Venere, hotel web sites, cc rates and cash rates, and kept track of everything in Excel. I got a map of Rome and put post-it flags on the sites we wanted to see and the hotels we were considering to see which were most convenient. Ya gotta do your homework, right?:)

BTW, what cruise are you taking from Rome in Feb?

Costa Concordia---Greece Turkey and Egypt. We are HAL snobs but this itinerary, price and time of year was too good to pass up. I hate crowds and feel that we're getting to winter in the Med before every else catches on.

Considering staying in Civitavecchia post and going over to Tarquinia.

We've been lucky in both Paris and Barcelona to find great little hotels in good locations.

So for everyone still looking, they really are out there!!! Don't forget to search B&Bs and Inns while you are looking.

We just got back from an after cruise 2 night stay in Rome, flying out of Rome to the US. We booked the Hotel Santa Anna, which is literally 2 blocks from the Vatican on Borgo Pio(street name). We paid $180 euro for a triple. It was a very good sized room with a very nice bathroom. King bed and a nice pull out couch. There was a nice American style breakfast included along with a covered outdoor sitting area for cheese and wine in the afternoon. My brother booked the rooms and noted it was given a Best Value in Rome in one of the websites. Good luck, you will love Rome. Pete

I am also trying to decide on a pre cruise hotel in Rome (Aug '08). I suggest you read (lots) of reviews on Trip Advisor.com then cross reference them with venere.com. The hotels that one website rate high and the other website rate low are good ones to discard. I booked a post cruise hotel in Venice at Locanda Orseolo (A B/B that got great reveiws everywhere (including cruise critic). I asked them if they knew of a good place in rome and they recommended...Hotel Del Senato (rated #2 on trip adivsor, given a 9.3 rating on venere and mentioned on c/c). Other ones might be worth checking into are: Hotel Dei Gladiatori, Hotel Sofitel, and Daniels Hotel. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

We just got back from an after cruise 2 night stay in Rome, flying out of Rome to the US. We booked the Hotel Santa Anna, which is literally 2 blocks from the Vatican on Borgo Pio(street name).
Thanks Pete for this tip. We are staying 2-3 nights post-cruise then flying to US, as well. We wanted to be near the Vatican, which we heard had long lines, so we can get there early. How was your ability to get transportation to the other typical tourist sites?

Steve

Thanks Pete for this tip. We are staying 2-3 nights post-cruise then flying to US, as well. We wanted to be near the Vatican, which we heard had long lines, so we can get there early. How was your ability to get transportation to the other typical tourist sites?

Steve

We took the #40 bus two blocks from our hotel(Transpondia bus stop name). You need to get tickets before you get on the bus at ticket booth right around the corner from the stop. Get a round trip ticket which you can use anytime that day to return to your hotel. It saves having to get a ticket again. (Carry your money in a front pack of some sort in Rome). We took the #40 to the Vittoro Emanuelle monument. From there you can walk easily to the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. Be sure to walk through the Forum grounds. Fantastic. Some members of my family also took cab rides from the Santa Anna to the Spanish steps the next night. 3 different taxis charged anywhere from 5 euro to 10 euro! My wife and I like to walk, so we walked everywhere. Yes, the streets can be confusing, but at night, all the major sights are lit up and can be used as a beacon to get you around. The hotel has good city maps. If at all possible, rest up during the day and see Rome at night, especially Trevi Fountain. Be sure to sit down for pasta dishes whenever possible. If you want to keep going during the day, there are small pizza shops where they cut you a huge slice, warm it and then fold it in half to go. Also, there are gelato(Italian ice cream) shops everywhere. By the end of the trip our entire family was addicted! Good luck. I envy you. We found Rome to be our favorite city by far.

Thanks for this thread. I was about to post a similar one with the caveat that we need a hotel with an elevator.

We're currently booked into the Hotel Parlamento in October. I think our rate is 135 Euros. The hotel has an elevator, but I learned today that we'll have to walk up one flight of stairs to reach the elevator. DH is mostly in a wheelchair. He could walk up the stairs with my help, but we'll be there 4 nights so that's a lot of up and down. So, I'm looking for something else although I'm not cancelling until I find something.

We'd like to be in central Rome and stay somewhere near the price we currently have booked.

Any ideas?

We are staying at the Hotel Lancelot. It's near the Coliseum though. We looked at the Hotel Parlimento but it was booked. The Lancelot is highly rated on Trip Advisor and they have an elevator and handicapped rooms.

Jill

we will be joining the May21 2008 Legend of Seas that will embark in Rome. we're in our mid 20s and can't really afford hotels more than US$200 after splurging on a 12night cruise in a oceanview cabin :o

these are my 3 plans:

plan A: get a hotel in rome

plan A cost (which I don't have any idea yet) : airport to rome transfer, Rome tour expenses, hotel to port transfer

plan B : get a hotel in civitavecchia then tour Rome

plan B cost : airport to civitavecchia transfer, train to Rome, Rome Tour, Civitavecchia hotel to port transfer

plan C: just get a hotel in civitavecchia and just tour around the town, wont go to Rome

I know the problem! Ours was exacerbated by the fact that we made a decision with no time to search and in peak season as well! We ended up at Pensione Paradise for 120 euros for a triple with private bathroom (less for a double) which is right on the Lepanto train line and got good reviews from Trip Advisor. We haven't been yet but were certainly happy with the price!

Archived