Hilo- VNP Closed?

lvcruises

Has anyone else heard about the VNP being closed? KKCruiser posted that friends of hers just came back from Hilo and the park was closed. If it is what else is there to do? NCL is very limited in the excursions it offers and most of them have to do with the Volcanoes and the Park. I was looking at the Waipio Valley Waterfall Hike and Swim, has anyone done this? If so how rough is it? We are in our 40's pretty good shape, my husband more so than myself. The write-up says its a 3 mile hike.

Has anyone else heard about the VNP being closed? KKCruiser posted that friends of hers just came back from Hilo and the park was closed. If it is what else is there to do? NCL is very limited in the excursions it offers and most of them have to do with the Volcanoes and the Park. I was looking at the Waipio Valley Waterfall Hike and Swim, has anyone done this? If so how rough is it? We are in our 40's pretty good shape, my husband more so than myself. The write-up says its a 3 mile hike.

Hilo- VNP Closed?

.....according to their web site they appear to be open....:)

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

They weren't closed on 7/21 when we were there. But, if they are closed when you're there - there are 5 waterfalls to see plus a couple of black sand beaches that you can't see anywhere else.

Next time i'm in Hilo, I won't even go to VNP unless there is some major action going on - once was enough for me. Black sand sounds far more intriguing.

From the website today:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/closed_areas.htm

The following closures are in effect due to recent volcanic activity. Visitors are reminded to obey all Closed Area signs:

• The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) has closed the Kahauale`a Natural Area Reserve, which includes Pu`u `O`o and the new eruption site east of it, due to hazardous conditions. See the

press release about the closure or call (808) 974-4221 for more information (posted 07/26/07).

• Kilauea's East Rift is closed, including Napau Trail and Campsite, and Na`ulu Trail.

• The park's eastern boundary in the Puna district near Kalapana is closed.

• Pu`u `O`o remains closed; the cinder and spatter cone is extremely unstable and its collapse continues.

Note: Mauna Ulu parking area and the trail to Pu`u Huluhulu is now open (07/31/07)

Hilina Pali Road Closure

Due to extreme fire danger, the Hilina Pali Road will be closed at the Mauna Iki trailhead until further notice. Only authorized persons and permitted backcountry visitors will be allowed.

See: Memo from the Acting Superintendent posted 07/27/2007

Closure of Lae`apuki lava delta:

The Lae`apuki lava delta (which is roped off), Wilipea bench, the west Highcastle beach, and the Highcastle beach are closed and marked with area closure signs. These areas are closed because they are extremely unstable and poised to collapse without warning.

We were there on July 28th and had a good time...worth a look. We rented a car and I would do that again in a heartbeat over an excursion. We had plenty of time to also drive around and go to Rainbow Falls and also a drive on a scenic route up the coast and grab a bite to eat. There's also Akaka (sp) Falls but I wasn't sure we could make it there in time...but I think we would have had plenty of time.

With our rental car last summer we, in one day, visited all the stops at VNP, but did not drive to see the new lava flow area. We did do a couple of the shorter hikes to see the craters, steam vects and the Thurston Lava Tubes. Next we took the wonderful drive up the coast and visited Akaka Falls which is terrific. We also saw Banyan Drive and the Japanese Gardens. Afterwards we drove througfh Hilo and went to see Rainbow Falls, Peepe Falls and the Boiling Pots. There was plenty of time to do it all as we were the first ones off the ship and the first in line for our Thrifty rental car!

the area that is closed is many miles away from the main attractions at HVNP. The forest reserve is that huge area to the east of the park and Pu'u O'o. No roads enter the area, but a few trails (like the "rainforest hike to the volcano" adventure in the Revealed books) do enter it - it's forbidding and amazing terrain, if you're into utterly trackless rainforest.

It's closed because there are new lava flows in this remote region and the Hawaii authorities have this thing about people getting themselves all killed. See the map at:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/archive/2007/Aug/FlowFieldOverview_070801_L.jpg

All of the primary attractions are open and accessible.

And no, this new lava flow is not likely to produce anything approaching the sea. In fact, it is flowing on the north side of the east rift zone, and is not even in the direction of the ocean right now.

This too can change.

With our rental car last summer we, in one day, visited all the stops at VNP, but did not drive to see the new lava flow area. We did do a couple of the shorter hikes to see the craters, steam vects and the Thurston Lava Tubes. Next we took the wonderful drive up the coast and visited Akaka Falls which is terrific. We also saw Banyan Drive and the Japanese Gardens. Afterwards we drove througfh Hilo and went to see Rainbow Falls, Peepe Falls and the Boiling Pots. There was plenty of time to do it all as we were the first ones off the ship and the first in line for our Thrifty rental car!

That's a lot in one day, how long did you spend at VNP in total?? What were the highlights for you??

We jsut arrived back from Hawaii and visited Volcanoes National Park. Both Crater Rim Drive and Chain of Craters Road is open. We drove down to the water. Parking is a problem at the Thurston Lave Tube.

Gary

I highly recommend driving Chain of Craters Road. The scenery is totally different than Craters Rim Drive. We also enjoyed the Thurston Lava Tube even though parking there was a problem. Try to go to the Thurston Lava Tube first thing when entering the park. We probably spent around 4-5 hours at the park. I didn't think we would spend that much time at the park, but after we drove down Chain of Craters Road we really liked it. The lava destruction is very interesting.

If possible, take a lunch or snack with you.

Gary

I highly recommend driving Chain of Craters Road. The scenery is totally different than Craters Rim Drive. We also enjoyed the Thurston Lava Tube even though parking there was a problem. Try to go to the Thurston Lava Tube first thing when entering the park. We probably spent around 4-5 hours at the park. I didn't think we would spend that much time at the park, but after we drove down Chain of Craters Road we really liked it. The lava destruction is very interesting.

If possible, take a lunch or snack with you.

Gary

Thanks for the great info, did you take flashlights with you and if so did you use/need them??

Archived