life jackets for toddlers

OnTheBrink

When we went on the last cruise, my kids were 4 years and 8 months. This time they'll be 7 and 3.5 years.

I don't remember what the situation was with life jackets! I seem to remember that they had one for John, but it was way too big and he couldn't breathe in it.

Should I worry about their being life jackets that will fit my (fairly averaged size) kids?

When we went on Holland my son (18 months at the time) never did get any life vest. On Carnival Victory last fall my son almost 2 ½ got an adult one. Then this last February my son finally got a kids vest when we went on the Carnival Sprit. We are going on another cruise in September so we will see if he gets a life vest or not.:confused:

Are you kidding?! I can't believe they don't have kid's life vest. We are taking out 2 1/2 year old grandson on Princess this month and they don't have life jackets for children?!! I believe you but that is terrible.

They absolutely have life jackets for children. If for some reason it's not in your stateroom and your room steward doesn't quickly respond to a request for one, I'm sure if you call the Purser's Office they will take care of it immediately. They take safety very seriously. On both of my Princess cruises, I had two toddler life jackets waiting in our cabin when we arrived. On Carnival, the room steward brought two without me having to ask.

Best,

Mia

We just bought our own life jacket for our 10 month old. We got it at Bass Pro Shops for $20. It's an infant type 2 jacket, rated to keep his head above water in the event of a situation. Ideally he should have a type one jacket, because of his age, but, since we will be around him, we are confident that the type 2 will be sufficient.

We just saw another infant rated jacket for sale at costco for $18. Now is a good time to get one because the season is fairly over, so you wont be out a lot of money.

The reason we purchased our own is becaus,e when we last sailed on the Splendour, DS was 6 months old. We were given a life jacket from the "splash zone" that was way too big for him and not infant rated! The first one was even broken....

I have called RCCL several times to request an INFANT rated life jacket on our Rhapsody cruise (Aug 19th) If they dont ahve one they are going to get a HUGE LOUD EARFULL!

Anyways, we are going to bring the $20 vest we purchased with us. We are leaving the tags on so that, if RCCL does have the right life vest, we can return the one we purchased.

Better to be safe than sorry!

In my opinion, RCCL had BETTER provide me with the correct safety items for my baby! After all, we are paying full 3rd person fare for him - they can afford an infant rated life vest!

If they dont have one for him maybe I can charge them for him "renting" mine while I am on the cruise....? After all, isnt it coast guard regulations that they have enough life saving methods for all their passengers?

I am glad to hear that Princess does have children's life jackets. No excuse not to! We bought one last year for Fl. and I am going to bring his life jacket w/ him also, just in case!

Thanks!

We went on Rhapsody in May. When we got to the cabin there were four adult (b/c it was an up to 4 adult capacity room) life vests in their usual place in the closet and an infant vest on the bed (I'm talking true infant...that was "dress" like for one who wouldn't be walking). The infant vest was inappropriate, however, for our 20 month old. We immediately called the purser. They said they'd get us a toddler vest, but probably not until after muster. I mentioned it to the cabin steward as well, who said he had to guess b/c all his sheet said was that it was two adults and a baby. I think it was later that night when he brought us the right vest. All in all, it was hassle free. Sure, might have been nice to have been right to start, but I can't blame our steward.

We went on Rhapsody in May. When we got to the cabin there were four adult (b/c it was an up to 4 adult capacity room) life vests in their usual place in the closet and an infant vest on the bed (I'm talking true infant...that was "dress" like for one who wouldn't be walking). The infant vest was inappropriate, however, for our 20 month old. We immediately called the purser. They said they'd get us a toddler vest, but probably not until after muster. I mentioned it to the cabin steward as well, who said he had to guess b/c all his sheet said was that it was two adults and a baby. I think it was later that night when he brought us the right vest. All in all, it was hassle free. Sure, might have been nice to have been right to start, but I can't blame our steward.

We are travelling on the Rhapsody in 10 days. It is REALLY good to know that they are going to have the appropriate vest on board for our 10 month old!

No raising holy hell for me! Yay for me and yay for anyone in earshot! :D

I've never had to provide the weight of my child pre-cruise (although I tried!). Since they don't want that info, how would they know what size to provide? I guess I wouldn't expect the right size to be in my cabin.

All you do is let your cabin steward know and an appropriate vest will appear.

HAL, Princess and RCCL have always provided the appropriate life vest for my child within a few mintues of asking. During the drill, the crew also checked to make sure the fit was appropriate even though the adults did not put on vests (Princess I believe).

For those who weren't provided life vests - maybe previous cruisers smuggled them off ship and didn't return them for whatever reason?

We are bringing our own life vest for our grandaughter next month. She is 17 month old and we didn't know if they would be available for the two tender rides (can't be too careful) and we are also going on a catamaran sail/snorkel excursion in one port. We just don't want to depend on someone else and $20 is not much when compared to the cruise and airfare for her.

When we first brought it home we tried it on her and she screamed until we took it off. I was thinking "Boy everyone on the tender is gonna hate us" but we took her to the lake a few weeks ago and between riding in the boat and swimming she wore it nonstop for about four hours. Whew! Lots of entertaining things to occupy her I guess.

Archived