kayak and lobster bake

cjil

Hello, we will be sailing on our first cruise on 8/25 aboard the Victory. Has anyone done the kayaking and lobster bake excursion? If so, what can I expect? Is it worth it? Any and all help... Please.... only 17 days to go!!! Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We are thinking of doing this excursion when we go to Saint John on the Explorer 9/14 cruise.

Would love to hear feedback from anyone who has done this trip also.

cjil

If you get back from your cruise before we leave on the 13th sept, let me know how you got on!

Thanks

Lisa

My partner and I did this excursion on the Aug 6 sailing. We really enjoyed it. You end up kayaking for about an hour and half, along the coastline on the St. John River, upriver from the Reversing Falls. (Far enough upriver that you don't have to worry about ending up in them!) The scenery is really lovely, and if you're lucky you'll see a few bald eagles while you're out there.

The guides are excellent, and full of knowledge. They do some kayaking basics with you, so not to worry if you've never kayaked before. They point out eagles' nests and such, and they are happy to answer any questions you have. You'll be kayaking in tandem kayaks. You might consider picking up a disposable waterproof camera so you don't risk ruining a digital or other "good" camera.

The "lobster bake" is basically a picnic at the park under the picnic shelters. It's nothing fancy, but it is delicious if you like lobster. They also serve Prince Edward Island Mussels to start with. My partner was a little disappointed in the lobster bake part of the excursion, because he expected it to be a little more like something out of a Ralph Lauren ad I think! LOL.

It did rain on us when were there - but we still thoroughly enjoyed it. Two tips I would add. One, if you sign up for the later departure (11 am) make sure you get up and off the ship early enough to wander through historic St. John. Some nice little shops and stuff to browse, and go to city market. You can easily see all of that before the excrusion. If you take the early departure, you should have plenty of time upon your return.

Second, take a change of clothes! Chances are you will get a little wet (or in our case, a lot wet). The tour company will secure your bags in a trailer while you are kayaking (and the tour guide is there prepping the picnic anyway while you are out), and there is a changing room right there in the park.

Have FUN!

Thanks for your reply,

Its good to hear that this is a good trip. Was there a large group of you or are the numbers limited?

Have to say the Lobster bake is what attracted me to this trip, not too worried about it not being fancy as long as the food is good and traditional, plenty of time for fancy food on the ship!

abbafan, that was my thought as well - it's LOBSTER!

Anyway, the trip is limited in size, so if you're interested, I advise booking early. ends up being about 20-25 people or something. The lobster and mussels on the bake are excellent. The sides dishes are cole slaw and such - kind of typical picnic food.

Archived