Oosterdam Questions - January Mexican Riviera Cruise

I will be going with a small group of friends (probably 8 cabins in all) on the Oosterdam in January. A couple of questions for all of the Oosterdam experts out there:

1) I've been on the Zuiderdam so am familiar with the Vista class layout. Has Oosterdam gone through the changes to the aft section yet?

2) Help me understand whether there is a sufficient difference between SA, SB and SC Deluxe Verandah Suites to worry about it or should I just save the few hundred dollars and take the SC or SB? Do you like the SC suites that are at the stern of the ship? I see some SB Suites on the Rotterdam deck that seem to have a bit of a different configuration - has anyone had one of those before?

3) If we have adjoining rooms (whether VA's or SA's or SS's) will the crew open up the dividers between verandah's so that we can create a larger outdoor space? (And if so, again is being at the stern better for that or can people from above look down and see our verandah's?)

4) Finally: Change of topic - I see Oosterdam will be starting the Anytime Dining Option with the first cruise in January - we'll be on the next week's journey - I tend to prefer a set seating time, I'd love folks opinions on how we think this is going to work with HAL?

Thanks in advance for all the great Cruise Critic advice!

I will be going with a small group of friends (probably 8 cabins in all) on the Oosterdam in January. A couple of questions for all of the Oosterdam experts out there:

1) I've been on the Zuiderdam so am familiar with the Vista class layout. Has Oosterdam gone through the changes to the aft section yet?

Not yet, and it won't before your cruise.

2) Help me understand whether there is a sufficient difference between SA, SB and SC Deluxe Verandah Suites to worry about it or should I just save the few hundred dollars and take the SC or SB? Do you like the SC suites that are at the stern of the ship? I see some SB Suites on the Rotterdam deck that seem to have a bit of a different configuration - has anyone had one of those before?

I'm doing this itinerary on the Oosterdam in February, and I'm taking an SC, because of the extra big verandah. However, some folks prefer proximity to the Neptune Lounge. It's up to you. The SC suites on deck 5 are reputed to have the most space, both in terms of cabin and verandah. You let me know, will you?:D

3) If we have adjoining rooms (whether VA's or SA's or SS's) will the crew open up the dividers between verandah's so that we can create a larger outdoor space? (And if so, again is being at the stern better for that or can people from above look down and see our verandah's?)

Yes, the crew will open up the dividers between verandahs. Yes, people from up above will be able to see some of your SC/SB aft verandah. So don't sit there nude unless you're an exhibitionist and get your jollies that way;) .

4) Finally: Change of topic - I see Oosterdam will be starting the Anytime Dining Option with the first cruise in January - we'll be on the next week's journey - I tend to prefer a set seating time, I'd love folks opinions on how we think this is going to work with HAL?

Stay tuned. This topic has been covered exhaustively from the beginning, now, and forever, amen.:eek:

You're welcome. I love dispensing wisdom, advice, and insight. Sometimes I even get it right......:p Oh, and have a wonderful cruise with your friends. Make some special memories!

Karin

Thanks so much for the information. The SB Suite seems to be an odd configuration - I'm only looking at that because it would allow me to open up to neighboring verandahs for those who don't want to pay for the Suite otherwise I'd just do the SA. I saw on the roll call pages that most of the SC's are taken with another group travelling together (we're having trouble getting our act together!).

Any worry with the aft SC's and noise/vibration?

I'm not crazy about the anytime dining but they seem to close/waitlist the set dining right away - I did review the long thread on that topic.

I'm sure we'll have a great time - I just want to maximize the fun and comfort for those friends who will be 1st time cruisers.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the information. The SB Suite seems to be an odd configuration - I'm only looking at that because it would allow me to open up to neighboring verandahs for those who don't want to pay for the Suite otherwise I'd just do the SA. I saw on the roll call pages that most of the SC's are taken with another group travelling together (we're having trouble getting our act together!).

I can't answer the specifics about the SB cabin. I know other posters here have had SB aft cabins, and have enjoyed them. Do whatever works best for everyone in your party. Just get on the "dam" boat!!:) If you're sharing the cabins as part of a group, and opening up the verandah dividers, you'll all be enjoying that extra created space!

Any worry with the aft SC's and noise/vibration?

I had an SC on the Noordam this past June. I experienced some very minor vibration once or twice and no noise, but I never really notice that sort of thing, anyway. I realize I'm on a moving boat, and I can't do a thing about it:D As I mentioned, I'm doing the SC again on the Oosterdam in February.

I'm not crazy about the anytime dining but they seem to close/waitlist the set dining right away - I did review the long thread on that topic.

Please don't sweat this one; I'm a big believer in "all things work together for good", especially on vacation:) . "Waitlist", to me, doesn't mean "closed". Also, if you're in a deluxe verandah suite, you have some priority. Doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Be persistent, if necessary.

I'm sure we'll have a great time - I just want to maximize the fun and comfort for those friends who will be 1st time cruisers.

I understand completely. You feel responsible. Think "fun with friends", and look forward to your cruise:) . Or, if your friends cancel, come join us on the February 9th Oosterdam Mexican Riviera "Cruise of the Yum Yum Man Worshippers"

Thanks again!

Happy to oblige, and Bon Voyage!

Karin

Karin - thanks for posting! I'll be on the Yum Yum cruise and had some of the same questions about cabins. Right now we are in 5107 & 5109 but thinking of upgrading. We will also be bringing friends with us who have only cruised once before and never on HAL so we want the experience to be wonderful for them. I know it will be fun, but I'm shooting for "Wow!"

Kate

DH and I booked the first cruise in January last month - not realizing the As You Wish option would be starting. I told the TA that I wanted early seating traditional and when she called HAL they told her we had to have early sitting As You Wish - which is not what I wish. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Karin - thanks for posting! I'll be on the Yum Yum cruise and had some of the same questions about cabins. Right now we are in 5107 & 5109 but thinking of upgrading. We will also be bringing friends with us who have only cruised once before and never on HAL so we want the experience to be wonderful for them. I know it will be fun, but I'm shooting for "Wow!"

Kate

Hi, Kate; I noticed on our roll call that you and your husband had joined us; good decision:) Yes, you need to come a little closer to deck 5 aft, where all the action will be;) Don't worry, the Yum Yum cruise will definitely be a "WOW". (Hopefully, as in "Wow this is great", not "Wow, these people are nuts".......:D )

Karin

I have been on this ship and cruise twice.

1) I've been on the Zuiderdam so am familiar with the Vista class layout. Has Oosterdam gone through the changes to the aft section yet? The Oosterdam has not had the back part added yet, but I think that happens this fall. I am not completely sure, but it was scheduled for Sept then they added a new sailing during the drydock they had scheduled

2) Help me understand whether there is a sufficient difference between SA, SB and SC Deluxe Verandah Suites to worry about it or should I just save the few hundred dollars and take the SC or SB? Do you like the SC suites that are at the stern of the ship? I see some SB Suites on the Rotterdam deck that seem to have a bit of a different configuration - has anyone had one of those before? I have been in an SC and SB. SC's have a different configuration. They can also be smaller, but the balcony is huge. One bad thing is they are on the back of the ship. SB are no different from SA except they are not located on the deck with the consierge lounge you have to go up a floor.

3) If we have adjoining rooms (whether VA's or SA's or SS's) will the crew open up the dividers between verandah's so that we can create a larger outdoor space? (And if so, again is being at the stern better for that or can people from above look down and see our verandah's?) If you are in an SC cabin then the people above you can see a nice part of your balcony, but this is only if your cabin is facing the rear. Yes the dividers can be opened between balconies.

4) Finally: Change of topic - I see Oosterdam will be starting the Anytime Dining Option with the first cruise in January - we'll be on the next week's journey - I tend to prefer a set seating time, I'd love folks opinions on how we think this is going to work with HAL? There is two ways to handle the as you wish. When I was on it and I booked they asked me if I wanted the AYW dining and I said no so they sceheduled a time, but it is only half the restaurant that does that so you have to request it ASAP. Or what my friends did was see the host in the dining room as soon as she boarded and requested a certain time and table and even though she had the AYW she got the same table everynight at the same time. They requested a table of 6 and they got to meet different people through out the trip.

I have one more comment abouth the noise and vibration on the Oosterdam. We recently returned an were in SC 4180 and we experience some significant vibration with associated rattling, etc. My brother was upstairs in sc5186 and had substantially less. But both cabins are awesome and would to it again if the same price was available. Have a great trip:) Jean

Archived