July 1 or 4

coffee39

We cruised this summer leaving Vancouver on June 30. While the ship had balloons, some decorations, and a beautiful cake display for both Canada Day, and again on the 4th, I wouldn't say that either day was especially "celebrated".

Is July 1 or July 4 celebrated on the Alaskan cruises?

I'd highly recommend trying to be in an Alaskan port for the 4th of July. The towns go all out; for some reason, 4th of July is the biggest holiday of the year. (Perhaps our best chance for good weather?) Houses are decorated, and there's great, old-fashioned parades with tossed candy from the floats. Juneau's is an exhausting two day extravaganza, with a soap box derby, foot races, BBQ, sand sculpture contest, and two parades, with a wide diversity of floats covering all our ethnic groups, from the Sons of Norway to these amazing Filipino dancers is bird-like costumes, to Native Alaskans in full costume.

Unfortunately for the cruisers, the ships all leave before Juneau's fireworks go off, but I don't know about other ports. I've watched some ships leaving just as they start, which I'm sure is lovely, if brief, but this year, they didn't start until after midnight.

We were on the 6/30 northbound sailing of the Sapphire and were in Skagway for the 4th. As another poster noted, you will not see fireworks (usually shot off at midnight on the 3rd), but the old fashioned celebration was wonderful. Locals and ship's passengers strolling with street food, local entertainment, etc. Just a nice small town feeling.

On board ship there was a nice display in the atrium with fondant cakes and sculptures, banners, flags, balloons, etc.

Archived