Lost luggage at airport in route to ship

vafamily5

I think the answer to the increasingly poor luggage service from the airlines, is to send your suitcases on ahead with a commercial carrier (i.e. DHL). They will pick up your luggage ahead of time, and it's in the suite when you board. It can cost a bit but it's easily done. There are several services that do it. Also, you can tack it online and there is more insurance coverage than on the airlines. It buys peace of mine. It's wonderful not to have to schlepp a bug suitcaase asll over the airport and seaport.

Of course, one has to pack sooner rather than later for one's cruise. A carry-on works for jewelry, medications, and a change of undies in case your plane gerts delayed.

We flew from Glasgow to venice via gatwick and both our suitcases were lost. We had to stand in a queue to report it for 2 and a half hours and just made it to the ship. The pursers desk were very good although the airline were unable to trace our caes until the Tuesday - we left on Saturday! They then arrived on the ship on the Wednesday after having been flown from Glasgow - Gatwick - Venice - Rome - Athens - Santorini! Our cases had straps with our names woven on them around each one. They had not been open and were security sealed. we had only the flight labels on them. To date we are still waiting for a result of our claim from the airline for the things we bought. The ship had little we could buy, our first port was Dubrovnik which hadn't much so it was on day 4 in Kusadasi that we were able to get a proper change of clothes. The ship gave us a T-shirt, the airport pyjamas and a few toiletries. It was no fun I can tell you and I hope it was a one off!

Working at the airport for Carnival, I have a tip for you as well.

If you are missing a piece of luggage and are flying the same day as your ship leaves, make sure you look for a Carnival Rep. and let them know. We will try our best to keep an eye out for it (lots of times it will come in on a later flight) and get it on the very last bus that leaves to go to the port. It's so much easier to get it that way then waiting for your first port (can sometimes be a day or two after). But ALWAYS put a claim in first!!!

Seafun, is your name Jim and did you go snorkling with another CCer on our roll call? Seems to me i only remember one person from Seattle on that cruise on our roll call. That is if you went to the Meet N Greet. Scott from Maine ran that.

When my luggage got there and on the second formal night i was able to wear my dressier dress and you made a comment saying you see i got my clothes? Or am i remebering a different person and the one i am remembering is a blond with short hair.

I have been to the Mexican Riviera in March and now I am going to Eastern Carribean in Sept. So yes, i am still around for awhile.

I thought with wearing almost the same clothes for a week i would cut down on the laundry when i got home but the suitcase was still wet so when i got home everything had to be re-washed, what a bummer...lol.

It is good to hear from you and i do hope i am remembering the right person but if not it is still good talking to you. Do you remember my scooter?:rolleyes:

Dolphinfan, that is good advice but with me my case was where there were no reps, i was in Miami i was supposed to leave out of Fll and i had a choice of filing then with the airline and missing my ship, or go to the ship and report then so i left and when i got to the ship i reported it then.

I didn't care if i had to wear the same thing for the ten days and rather do that then to miss my ship and have to fly to the next port in four days. They had soap and water and i just washed my clothes every other night and the ship did them the nights in between so i was never wearing dirty clothes.

it worked for me. What i didn't like is when i got my clothes an the ship cleaned them all which was fine and then i packed to go home and i got home evreything was wet all over again so had to be washed again. twice then with out even being worn. Well i lived and still at it and will continue to go as long as this old body will let me.

Hve a great one all:cool:

I hope you've had your last lost luggage episode -- once in a lifetime is more than enough. Happy cruising

You got that right, in fact that made it the trip of a lifetime so no more please....lol.

Yes i keep on trucking on the ships that is...lol.

Your memory is pretty good! You're close on most of the things you mentioned, but my name is Tom, and yes I did go snuba-ing with another CCer in St. Thomas (Wow, was that fun, over at Coki Beach). I've got brown hair -- might have been kind of bleached out by the sun at that point, lol.

I was at the CC meet and greet, and remember you and your scooter well. :)

I LOVED our cruise on the Volendam in the Southern Caribbean. This year I decided to try a (dare I say) younger crowd :p and am doing a Western/Eastern Caribbean B2B on Carnival Glory starting Nov. 3.

I've booked a balcony room on the Panorama Deck, same room both weeks, so I won't even have to repack! I am certainly looking forward to it!

I read this thread with interest as this happened to me on my Carnival Glory cruise in 2005. Flew into Orlando and of course my bag (not my wife's) was missing. Early flight day of embarkation and everyone (airline, Carnival) assured me I'd have it before we left. Which I didn't. The next day was a port day and they assured me it would be there (Nassau)... wasn't. This continued for two more additional ports. When we returned the following weekend and went back to the airport there sat my bag. While everyone tried to appear accomodating, to be frank I had the sense they weren't doing anything. When I first notified the purser's office on board, they seemed so sympathetic. Once they found out I'd done air on my own and not through Carnival, the tone changed. It was a difficult week.. but did it ruin my vacation? No. Am I a little bitter about the fact that it appeared Carnival would have done more if my air was through them... yes. I still cruise Carnival.. I just don't fly Southwest.

I read this thread with interest as this happened to me on my Carnival Glory cruise in 2005. Flew into Orlando and of course my bag (not my wife's) was missing. Early flight day of embarkation and everyone (airline, Carnival) assured me I'd have it before we left. Which I didn't. The next day was a port day and they assured me it would be there (Nassau)... wasn't. This continued for two more additional ports. When we returned the following weekend and went back to the airport there sat my bag. While everyone tried to appear accomodating, to be frank I had the sense they weren't doing anything. When I first notified the purser's office on board, they seemed so sympathetic. Once they found out I'd done air on my own and not through Carnival, the tone changed. It was a difficult week.. but did it ruin my vacation? No. Am I a little bitter about the fact that it appeared Carnival would have done more if my air was through them... yes. I still cruise Carnival.. I just don't fly Southwest.

It was the airlines fault you did not receive your luggage if it was still at the airport. I don't see where Carnival was at fault?

It was the airlines fault you did not receive your luggage if it was still at the airport. I don't see where Carnival was at fault?

I didn't say it was their fault. My issue is the fact that every single day they claimed to know where it was and "promised" I'd have it at the next port. I would have rather heard Day 1 that I wasn't going to get it then to have gone through the roller coaster of hoping each time and being disappointed.

I didn't say it was their fault. My issue is the fact that every single day they claimed to know where it was and "promised" I'd have it at the next port. I would have rather heard Day 1 that I wasn't going to get it then to have gone through the roller coaster of hoping each time and being disappointed.

So true! I have to tell you..working at the airport, I see ALOT of missed luggage (usually at least once a day), the airlines always promise to deliver to the first port. The worst was American Airlines..I had 42 people who did not get their luggage the whole time! In most cases, the luggage comes in on the next flight or before we leave for the day and if your oj the ship, we can take it with us. I would highly recommend getting in the day before (less stress)!

I hope you were able to replace everything. I'm not sure how much they give you, but it does not replace the time you spend shopping , etc.!

I am flying Southwest from Norfolk, VA straight through to Jacksonville, FL. I am assuming that the luggage will be on the plane with me since it is a straight flight. I certainly hope so......

I am flying Southwest from Norfolk, VA straight through to Jacksonville, FL. I am assuming that the luggage will be on the plane with me since it is a straight flight. I certainly hope so......

We were a straight flight from Baltimore to Orlando. Three bags got handed over together at the ticket counter and only two made it to Orlando. I guess it happens alot and it was just our turn. My wife wasn't filling my pain as much as me, until I told her that her birthday present was in my suitcase.

I ALWAYS put a very detailed trip itinerary (laminated of course) in each piece of luggage - includes all stops, flights, info, cell phone# and carnival emergency hot line phone number (in booklet you get w/cruise tickets).

I also put my cell phone # and Carnival emergency phone # on luggage tags figuring if they can't reach me - they should be able to contact Carnival who will hopefully be able to advise where to send the luggage!!! ...and yes I also take out travel insurance!

I booked my own flight and Holland was the greatest. It doesn't matter if you have trip insurance if you don't have a receipt forget it. You can file a claim but that is as far as you are going to get. No money or reimbursement.

I beleive a lot of people pack a case and decide at the last minute that isn't the one they want, they change their bag and for get it and still thinking they have the original bag can't find it and walk off leaving their bag there thinking it is lost so they get the bitc... card out and start in.

I am not saying everyone does it and like i said, in my case i went to Miami, my luggage went to Chicago and my ship was in Fort Lauderdale. We all got together four days later but we did make it.

Seafun please email me ,if you click on the yellow man under my post number and State it will get you to my email if not here it is. I would like to talk to you a bit more, Abby

bjhooser@aol.com Ya allhave a great one.:D

I was having a senior moment and i knew your name was a more commom used name, but like i said, i will blame it on age....lol.

I did remember you as you and Scott are the only ones after the meet and greet that ever said hello to me. Besides who can forget a handsome man?

I remember when i finally got my luggage that they only things that were not wet was my good dress and my undies, they were in plastic bags.

When i passed you going in to the dinning room you did notice i had on my good dress and made the comment about seeing i got my luggage.

I thought your hair looked more blond but maybe because you had been out in the sun?

Hey do what turns you on, regardless. You can see i am always joining the younger crowd...lol.

I did enjoy the Volundam it was a great ship, good crew, good food, and most of all the best beds of any ship i have been on to date.
It was nice talking to you and it made feel good that you did remember me but like i said, on the ship you were oneof two who did. Thankyou and have a great B2B wish i was going to be on there too.:o

Archived