Need a little help...

MamaParrotHead

Hello everyone! I have never cruised NCL, but my grandmother is taking a cruise out of NYC next month, and has been calling me for help, LOL.

I'm working on formulating a packing list for her, similar to what we used for Carnival, but wondered what differences there may be. Can anyone share their NCL packing list?

She was also asking me if, rather than lugging gowns onboard, if a few dressy pants outfits (with sequined mix and match tops) would suffice for the dressier dinner nights. Speaking of which, can someone tell me if there are "formal" nights on her trip (I think she's taking the Dawn up to Canada...it's a 7 night trip, I know)? She was also asking me about Freestyle Dining, and I told her what I could but wondered if someone here could clarify for me so I can get her the correct information.

Lastly, what advice would you give her, as a first time NCL cruiser? I didn't know if there were any "tricks and tips" that may be different than the ones I'd give her, having only cruised Carnival.

Thanks for all your help! She and I both appreciate it.:)

Believe it or not, NCL does not have any formal nights. Having said that you can drress up to the nines on any night, many choosse to do so on the dress up or not night.

Freestyle dining also includes dining anytime you wish in the main dining rooms at night. There are no reservations in the main dining rooms unless you are a party of at least eight. You do have to make reservations for the speciality restaurants, up to 48 hours ahead, i.e., tonight and tommorrow night.

She will fit the resort casual rules at any restaurant any night.

Hello everyone! I have never cruised NCL, but my grandmother is taking a cruise out of NYC next month, and has been calling me for help, LOL.

I'm working on formulating a packing list for her, similar to what we used for Carnival, but wondered what differences there may be. Can anyone share their NCL packing list?

She was also asking me if, rather than lugging gowns onboard, if a few dressy pants outfits (with sequined mix and match tops) would suffice for the dressier dinner nights. Speaking of which, can someone tell me if there are "formal" nights on her trip (I think she's taking the Dawn up to Canada...it's a 7 night trip, I know)? She was also asking me about Freestyle Dining, and I told her what I could but wondered if someone here could clarify for me so I can get her the correct information.

Lastly, what advice would you give her, as a first time NCL cruiser? I didn't know if there were any "tricks and tips" that may be different than the ones I'd give her, having only cruised Carnival.

Thanks for all your help! She and I both appreciate it.:)

Unless she likes dressing up, she does not need any formal wear at all. Resort casual wear is always acceptable in all NCL dining rooms and restaurants. Even jeans are allowed (except for one night in one dining room). There is a completely optional 'dress up if you want to" night. About 1/3 of the passengers will dress up a little more than usual but most will still be in resort casual. (Resort casual - no shorts or t-shirts in the dining rooms or restaurants after 5PM). Shorts etc are fine in the buffet and in the dining rooms before 5PM.

Freestyle Dining:

In the dining rooms (I believe the Dawn has two), you can show up at anytime during opening hours and be seated. There are NO seating times.

Of course of you choose to show up at "prime" time (around 7PM) on a popular night (like the night when they serve lobster) you MAY have a wait to be seated. On our NCL cruises, we never had to wait longer than 10 minutes to be seated (even at "prime" time) - however on "lobster night" we dined earlier (at 6PM) and were glad that we did because when we left the dining room (shortly after 7PM) there was a very long line-up of people waiting to be seated. This was the only time we saw a significant line-up.

"Specialty" restaurants (not sure how many there are on the Dawn but there will be about 4 or 5 I believe). These are MUCH smaller than the dining rooms. Some are "pay extra", some are "free". They ALL require reservations because of their small size.

Hint for enjoying an NCL cruise:

READ the Freestyle Daily. It contains all the info you need to know to make the most of your cruise - opening times of dining rooms and restaurants, which restaurants have a charge, times and places of entertainment, any "specials" at restaurants (sometimes the "pay extras" have two for one pricing).

Check out this thread for a packing list

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=91478

Also, Here is the packing list I have compiled and use as my base each time I cruise.

-underwater camera and regular camera

-video camera

-sunglasses

-Spanish translation book (I like to have this if I go to Spanish-speaking areas)

-Containers to put shampoo, conditioner, lotion, face wash, body soap in

-medications and other over-the-counters you may need

-sunburn relief lotion

-sunscreen

-mesh laundry bag

-Lanyard

-Passports

-Day bag to carry stuff we need (water, chapstick, towels, change of clothes, directions) on shore excursions

-Tennis shoes

-Sandals

-Directions for excursions

-NCL Registration Form

-Flight Itinerary

-Tickets

-Vacation insurance documents

-Caribbean Cruises book (I just like to have this)

-Clothes pin for curtain (so that shower curtain does not attack you)

-Highlighter (to highlight the Freestyle Dailies)

- Binoculars (optional)

-Gallon Zip Lock Bags (for wet clothes or toiletries that may leak)

-Flashlight (for inside rooms)

-Waterbottle (fill with ice water and take on shore excursions)

-Wet Ones

-Downey Wrinkle Release

-plastic clothing drapes from the dry cleaners keep your clothes from wrinkling

-Binder with all important documents

-Totes fold-up tote bag. It folds smaller than a paperback book, but when opened is sturdy and has lockable 2way zippers. I open it as soon as I arrive and put dirt clothing in it as they accumulate.

tell her to dress up as much as she wants...but if she doesn't..leave those heavy gowns at home, on long with the high heels. go for comfort and fun.

dining in the main dining rooms is like any restaurants. go up to the hostess, tell them how many in your party and they seat you. for the speciality restaurants, ask about making a reservation.

Archived