New Airline

crusing in ky

You can mention airlines on the boards. I don't know of any "new" airlines... I know that Independence has been opening alot of routes and they are Dulles based, but they have been around since 1989... they had to change their name after United went bankrupt... other than that, I don't know of any other new ones... give us the scoop!!!!

Just to let you know.... Independance Air is having a VERY low on time departure/arrival rate. If you are going to fly them, expect delays, fly the day before, and give yourself some time. Most airlines are meeting their fares, you might consider looking around before booking.

Just keep in mind, that if one of their planes is canx or delayed, they wont protect you on another airline- you will have to wait for one of theirs.

So just give yourself plenty of time if u are using them to fly to a cruise!

I used to work for a major airline and I lnow how the "little guys" run their airline.

I-Air really isn't a new airline, they used to be known as Atlantic Coast Airlines and operated the commuter flights for for a few of the major airlines (United amoungst others I believe) You likely knew them as "United Express" and traditionally had a huge hub out of Washington Dulles (which they're maintaining.) They've gone off to do their own thing, re-inviting themselves as a low cost carrier.

For now their fleet consists mostly of 50 passenger Canadair regional jets (i.e. expect to have to "sky check" your roll-aboard since it won't fit in the cabin, you might want to pack an additional small bag with the stuff you want in the cabin like mags, meds, etc). The smaller planes mean that they are entering many markets with several flights a day which could be an advantage in case of a delay. They do have some larger Airbus (319) aircraft they are aquiring but for now the bulk of the fleet will be regional jets.

They are certainly larger than most startup airlines and have 14 years of operating experience under their belts.

I flew Independence Air (Flyi.com) from Dulles to Boston on their second day as Independence Air. Needless to say, it was an experience and the thunderstoms in the area didn't help. Below is the short version of my story.

Hopefully they've changed their flight boards (showing departs and arrivals). Example: boards reads:

Independence Air Flight 626 to Boston Departs: 10:00 pm

Independence Air Flight 626 to Boston Boards: 10:30 pm

Boarding and departures were all listed backwards. Me and my fellow passengers couldn't help but chuckle at that one.

My flight was delayed by 4 1/2 hours that night. Weather played a bit part. I definitely don't blame the airline for the delay. They did offer free pizza for dinner which was nice.

When we did finally board and everyone was seated, the stewardess (who was totally overworked) :confused: asked could the first three rows of the plane move to the back of the plane in order to balance the plane. Hence, I was pretty much ready to go back home and forget my trip to Boston. However, the flight was a bit noisy, but not to bad.

My return flight was pretty uneventful until the stewardess decides to mention, that this is the second flight our captain has flown, he's very new. :eek:

Haven't them flown since.

OMG too funny Hawaii. I always chuckle when they make us move to balance the airplane.

My best story on one of these small planes was when I took a bump from AA in NYC. All the other bumped passangers took a "limo" (van) home to Albany in the middle of the night. I declined the "limo" and they gave me a hotel and put me on another airline with a stopover somewhere on the way to Albany. The plane was so small that the Captain actually loaded the luggage into the back of the plane.

Stefanie

Archived