Orient Express Road to Mandalay Cruise/Tour

lostqeba

We did this trip three years ago and had a wonderful trip. We were on board for 5 days and had to spend two nights in Mandalay as the River was too shallow to finish the trip. We went in Mid February. We had a larger size cabin which I would recommend. The food is shipped in from Australia. Not a huge variety but it was very good. Every day for lunch the Chef did a different "local area' buffet.

The trip included many excursions which were very good. We didnt' do all of them as we just loved sitting on the top deck and watching the river.

Service was lovely...And the temples at Bagan are magical at sunset.

We also spent two days in Yangoon at the STrand Hotel before the trip.

Enjoyed that a lot too.

We are going on the EAstern and Orient express in October...:) Feel free to ask any questions...

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Harrodsfan....Thank you for you reply.....I gather you did not take the Orient Express Train 3 years ago....am I correct?

How formal were the dinners on the Road to Mandalay? They recommend jackets.....my experience in the last 4 years aboard Silverseas, Regent, Amadeus and Viking River cruises is they don't enforce the policy anymore....I have seen people sit down to dinner in jogging sweats and wondered why I am dragging a jacket halfway around the world!!!!!

Best regards, Lostqeba

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to not get back to you...

I recall my dh did wear a jacket on the ship but I don't think they enforced the dress code. People did dress up a bit for dinner...like very dressy casual resort clothes.. It is a very lovely and interesting experience. Excellent service. And yes you are right..we are going on the Eastern and Orient express in October 2007.

• 3 years later...

No one has written about this since 2005? Complete renovation in 2009, incredible. Suggest all interested contact their travel agent for info from Orient Express. Combine the cruise with the Orient-Express train from Singapore to Bangkok; Palaces & Pagodas is the complete tour for 16 days including the best hotels. We are going in 2012 and will post with pictures at that time. Trip of a lifetime.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I'm planning my trip to Burma. And this Orient Express river cruise is central to my itinerary. Has anyone been on this trip recently? I want to go in January. I am a single, female who is 38.

I read that the option to take the hot air balloon ride is essential. Is that true? Has anyone been to Burma/Myanmar recently and did you get any flak for going?

I'm so delighted that my travel agent let me know about this trip - I instantly fell in love with it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
No one has written about this since 2005? Complete renovation in 2009, incredible. Suggest all interested contact their travel agent for info from Orient Express. Combine the cruise with the Orient-Express train from Singapore to Bangkok; Palaces & Pagodas is the complete tour for 16 days including the best hotels. We are going in 2012 and will post with pictures at that time. Trip of a lifetime.

PLEASE DO!!! We would be very grateful. We're booked on an Oceania cruise from Cape Town to Singapore in Dec and initially, a 2 night stay in Burma was on the itinerary......and our major reason for booking the cruise. The Burma port has been ditched for some lame ports in India and Sri Lanka........but that's another subject. We are determined to see Burma and the river cruise sounds like a wonderful way to accomplish our goal!

Many thanks!

Archived