Whistler in late September

Hubby and I are taking a cruise out of Vancouver to San Diego - starting Sept 26. Prior to that date, we'll be spending a few days in Vancouver and thought we would like to take a day trip to Whistler. I saw photos of Whistler in Sept 2006 with a lot of snow. Think we'll run into snow or was that just a freak storm?

It's a big mountain and they get snow most months at the top and late September would not be a freak just unusual for a lot at the bottom of the hill.

Thanks for your response. We were thinking of taking the train up to Whistler and a bus back down to Vancouver or the other way around. I would think the scenery/drive would be somewhat different.

I wouldn't count on snow in September. Ski season doesn't officially start until near the end of November and even then, snow conditions are "iffy". Anything before that is a bonus.

The only snow you're guaranteed to see in September is up on the glacier.

Thanks for your response. We were thinking of taking the train up to Whistler and a bus back down to Vancouver or the other way around. I would think the scenery/drive would be somewhat different.

Check out the Rocky Mountaineer website. I doubt if you could get to the morning run North but there should be some sort of bus goin' that way. May a tour line or something. You could get and the train back.

Rocky Mountaineer is hooked up with Grey Line. You can take the Bus one way and the Train the other. We took the Bus up to Whistler and the Train back. It is all booked through the Rocky Mountaineer site.

We did our trip September 27 last year and it was great weather. Whistler can get the snow easy enough, but we certainly lucked out. He is a link to our photos.

Swabbie,

Thanks for the info - definitely something we want to do, especially after seeing your great photos. I have a couple of questions:

1. Any reason why you did the coach/bus and then the train back route? 2. Looks like you took the Glacier Dome instead of the Coast Cruise train cars - any reason why or why you would recommend the Dome over the Cruise?

3. Did you book through Greyline Tours or someone else?

Thanks again for your help.

Swabbie,

Thanks for the info - definitely something we want to do, especially after seeing your great photos. I have a couple of questions:

1. Any reason why you did the coach/bus and then the train back route? 2. Looks like you took the Glacier Dome instead of the Coast Cruise train cars - any reason why or why you would recommend the Dome over the Cruise?

3. Did you book through Greyline Tours or someone else?

Thanks again for your help.

1. The Train was full going up, so we took the Bus up. I probably would have revered it if I had the chance, but it worked out great. We even saw the Northbound Mountaineer go by while the bus was stopped for a coffee break.

2. We took the dome as this was part of a "We got our daughter off to college" vacation for my wife and I. We did the Whistler Mountaineer followed by the Rocky Mountaineer. The Dome is definitely a nicer car with great views (Bigger Windows), but over that distance, either would be great. If it is nice out, you may spend half the trip on the outdoor platform. (Have to go inside for the Horseshoe Bay tunnel though.)

3. We booked it directly through the Rocky/Whistler Mountaineer agent. (could have done so on-line as well I believe.)

My pleasure. Enjoy your trip.

• 5 months later...
We did our trip September 27 last year and it was great weather. Whistler can get the snow easy enough, but we certainly lucked out. He is a link to our photos.

Thanks Swabbie! I really enjoyed the photos! Very cool! :cool: My mother and I are taking the Mountaineer in early July. I've a few questions though, if you would be willing to answer....

Did you take the first class option, or was that the regular seating?

Where in Whistler were you when you took those pictures (looked like shopping and maybe a hotel in the background)?

We'll be there for about a day and a half and we're still trying to figure out what to do while we're there.

Thanks and again, great pics! :D

ejhall

I don't ever remember it snowing in the valley before mid Oct, even then that is early...A few halloweens we took the kids out in ankle deep wet snow.

Whistler is a GREAT place to vist :) Lots of shops and hotels, restaurants, deli, people watching galore!! In Sept Golf courses are still opened and onlow season rates. Lots of hiking still, mountain bike riding rentals.

Have a great trip :) I am sure you will love it !!!

Archived